By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year 2024 - The possible titles

I think we are more than likely going to have a lot of late year entries vying for the top spot to be honest.

As far as title this year that have released, Balatro, FfVII Rebirth, Helldivers II, dragons dogma II, unicorn overlord and Wukong. But again, I’ve got my eye on a handful of games that could be viable choices for GOTY that haven’t released yet.

Around the Network

Thinking about it this year hasn't had many big releases. Which is odd because usually this far into the gen is when the most big games are being released.

pikashoe said:

Thinking about it this year hasn't had many big releases. Which is odd because usually this far into the gen is when the most big games are being released.

2023 was stacked and 2025 seems to be stacked for all 3 of the big systems. So I would say we are just in a transition year. 

axumblade said:
pikashoe said:

2023 was stacked and 2025 seems to be stacked for all 3 of the big systems. So I would say we are just in a transition year. 

And for what's some consider a transitional year, software wise, some publisher and devs like Capcom, Nintendo, Indies and even Microsoft(if not late though) are bringing some good heat to end the year. Nothing to blush about here.

I mean for fairness, next year isn't a guarantee banger year for everyone until we've got a bit more into it when the time comes.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Doubt it will even be nominated, but I would like to see Tekken 8 take it, so far.

Around the Network

Was there ever a precedent for Expansion to win GOTY? If yes, then I can see Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree Edition taking lot of GOTY awards, currently sitting at the top of both Metacritic and Opencritic for this year.

Probably only Astro Bot has a chance to threaten Rebirth. Helldivers is the only other obvious nomination I see, but Dragon’s Dogma, Space Marine or Metaphor could make it too.

Too bad STALKER or Kingdom Come won’t make it in time for Game Awards. But they will be the winners in my heart.

Hello guys, for me it is hands down FFVII Rebirth, Tekken 8 being my 2nd and Dragons Dogma 3rd. Personally I feel there are many reasons but I'll just name few:

1. Never before a JRPG won the award - Rebirth finally shows the way on how JRPG genre can evolve and recapture greater audiences. It moves away from the "Niche feel" that JRPG genre has been going post PS2-era. Purists may still argue - I used to feel remakes or changes of JRPG genre direction were uneccessary until Rebirth. All in all, Squaresoft took all the risks (financial, risk of alienating fanbase with story or world choices etc).
2. The scale of the game.
3. If not the greatest OST, undeniably one of the best ever.
4. Apart the high metacritic score compared to the other front-runners, an EXTREMELY HIGH score user review (look at Elden Ring, Zelda TOTK, Ragnarok or even Baldurs Gate.
5. The LOVE factor. I know, all games are the labor of developers might and love. But Rebirth? There was so SO MUCH LOVE given to Rebirth, it screams LOVE. It made us cry, scream of happiness and relive our teen years. Developers wanted us to. How many of us are dads/moms now and introduced the story to our children...Monumental moments... I can't thank them enough.

etc.

I want to state my POV on the amazing 2022 and 2023 gaming years:
Those 2 years had mindblowing GOTY contenders ( 2022 - ELDEN RING, GOWR, HORIZON etc, 2023 - Zelda TOTK, Baldurs Gate 3)
I feel that many of the BIG-Players of global press (IGN, Gamespot etc.) have been overrating the BIG games in the past couple of years. The peak of such practice was overrating an undeniably great Zelda game (TOTK) giving it God-like status and then, seeing that Baldur Gate 3 was THE REVELATION (to me the clear Winner), BG3 needed to score at least an equal score... the rest is history. Sometimes, user scores say a different story, at least when they are not just mindless bombing of hate (aka Last of Us 2 hate etc.).

Anyway, in a world after Elden Ring, GOWR, Zelda TOTK and Baldurs Gate it would be hard for a game to score higher or surpass them within a year or two. Moreover, It is easier to rate higher an action/adventure game than other genres - it is what the audiences want. Dont you feel that, especially the US press is unforgiving to Japanese turn based games? I was so Happy turn-based BG3 won GOTY 2023, even if non-Japanese...

Lets all give the 2024 games the respect they deserve: FFVII Rebirth, Tekken 8, Dragons Dogma 2, Hell Drivers 2, Like a Dragon, Black Myth: Wukong could all have scored better at metacritic - I dont know what will happen with Astrobot but I dont think it will be rated 90+.

Thanks for reading my post.
I really hope Rebirth wins.
It deserves to...

Last edited by akiranet666 - on 29 August 2024

I think it will be between FF7 rebirth, metaphor refantazio and maybe astro bot

Helldivers 2 was a huge hit but don't think it's GOTY, it might get nominated though.

So, do you guys have any new ideas?

I'm pretty sure Astro Bot will be nominated. Zelda Echoes of Wisdom is another strong competitor.