By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Concord is Sony's biggest failure in gaming history.

Leynos said:

Can't imagine why

Wow, that is comically bad. Looks like she is cosplaying as a brussel sprout or something. How were the devs and Sony this out of touch? Did they never focus test this game ahead of the first reveal trailer, while there was still time to change things ahead of the reveal?

Around the Network

dupe.

Last edited by firebush03 - on 01 September 2024

JuliusHackebeil said:
Leynos said:

If you have ever referred to yourself as I. Congrats you use pronouns.

As others have pointed out, Concord[']s failure is not due to the implementation of pronoun choices.

But to what you have written: This might apply to some, but I would presume the majority of people is not upset because somebody uses pronouns. They are upset because somebody insists that they have to use pronouns wrongly.

I (-see, I am using them) know what a pronoun is. And I do not believe that gendered pronouns refer to gender at all. They refer to sex. Gender is way too new a concept for pronouns to account for, or be directed by gender. Yet, if somebody wants to have a different sex, perhaps I could be convinced to refer to them as what their sex is not.

But using plural pronouns for a singular person? That is over the line for me. Or made up pronouns like xir, zyr,... I once unironically herd a person claim "clown and clownself" as her pronouns. Ridiculous.

It is the newspeak of one of the worst counter cultures we ever had. Way more often a "screw you, dad!" from juvenile lack of purpouse and direction, than a serious illness. And every time a game has options to choose wrong pronouns, it gives legitimasation to a strangely puritanical, cencorious, overly self-absorbed mob of bullies. I say "bullies" because they claim ownership and authority, not only over general use of language, like pronouns, but also claim offence and try to shame and censor and cancel people into submission, when they don't want to play their silly word games.

And concord, by inclusion of pronoun choices, becomes part of that, even if their intentions were noble (I don't think they were).

Let me end my pronoun rant with this: third person singular pronouns: he, she, it - the gendered ones. I get why people started there. But as soon as you make pronouns up, you can also go to first person singular: I. That refers to oneself. And it is quite telling, that I seldom if ever see made up alternatives for "I". As if to say: "you have to talk silly now, referring to me. Not me though, referrig to myself."

And to fold concord in one last time: it is part of a style trend in gaming that I absolutely dispise. Fairgames too, and the concept art for London Studios unreleased game, Bungies incubation studios unreleased game, Fortnite to a degree, etc.. One concept art picture and I know I am hard out on these. Bunch of try hards, thinking about what other people think is cool, instead of making something actually worthwhile. I think that is the ultimate undoing of Concord: being a trend chaser without soul or identity.Well

First off...

"I don't like Bungie pinning all their hopes on it, especially after they've changed it to an extraction shooter, I'd have rather they tried another Halo-like success, a game with a strong SP/MP but I hope it works out for them because although I'm not a big fan of Destiny, Bungie is my childhood developer, the first I knew by name, they gave me my favourite IP ever.

Amazon Prime apparently has a whole episode dedicated to Concord. They sure put the cart before the horse there.

If Sony decides to shutter the studio. They should just assign them to other projects/studios rather than layoffs. 

Manchester Studio was closed after they spent so long, without a single game. "

What do these quotes from this thread have in common? They all use they to refer to a singular noun. Strange how you did not take issue to any of these, or any of the dozen other times people have used they as a singular noun. It is a perfectly acceptable way for a person to speak or write if they don't know the gender of an object or if the object they are referring to is sufficiently clear.  "I.e. I love my cat, they're the best cat in the world" and nobody has ever cared. Oh you had lunch with Bob? Aren't they the best?" I do this all the time, not with any woke purpose, but because it's natural to me, and nobody has ever said anything outside of an academic setting. 

Gender has existed for at least all of human history, and probably before that. Look in the bible, which contains different rules for men and women. There is no biological reason women should not be able to speak in church for instance, that is not about sex, that is about gender, the socially constructed rules we apply to different sexes. Absolutely not a new thing. Unless you are performing an anatomical exam on every person before describing them with a pronoun, then your pronoun usage is based largely on their gender, your perception of their sex based on how they present themselves

So even if we want to be strictly grammatical about it, it's fine for someone to ask me to use they/them especially in an online game. Unless they choose to tell me their gender/sex I have no idea what it is. If they don't wish to disclose that, then I really should use they/them, because that's what you're supposed to do when you don't know the gender of the noun. 

But most importantly, I do not believe for a solitary second that anybody is so deeply concerned about proper grammar that they throw constant hissy fits over pronoun usage. The English language is routinely violated on a daily basis. You was originally used for formal situations (the equivalent of the usted form in Spanish), yet now we use it in very informal situations (i.e. you are late to the orgy). Yet, nobody is clutching their pearls and feigning outrage that the way we used a pronoun has changed. In fact, I can't think of any other time improper language usage has caused such disdain.

As someone who has a degree in English, I am perfectly happy to use incorrect grammar if doing so will make someone else feel seen and respected. Because, it's fucking grammar. I don't give a shit. Nobody gives a shit. And the fact that they only give a shit in one narrow situation which involves a group of people that is constantly discriminated against is sus as fuck. 

Seriously, if anyone is actually upset that they have to use a plural pronoun when they think it should technically be a singular pronoun, they should be in a padded cell. 

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 02 September 2024

Leynos said:

Can't imagine why

The more I think about it, the more I'm sure these horrendous designs were flagged as an issue during development, but whoever was in charge decided to be stubborn and dismiss any criticism, thinking they knew better and wanting to force their preferences on others.

There's just no way a team of industry professionals looked at this garbage and honestly thought "yeah, this is what gamers want."

Since most of the pictures of that character I can find look different, I'm pretty sure that's an alternative skin, and in my limited experience, those can be more or less derpy. At a quick glance, the default skins actually seem fairly decent. I don't think you can attribute much of the game's failure to derpy skins such as the one posted above, since almost no one probably knows about them anyway.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 02 September 2024

Around the Network
Zkuq said:

Since most of the pictures of that character I can find look different, I'm pretty sure that's an alternative skin, and in my limited experience, those can be more or less derpy. At a quick glance, the default skins actually seem fairly decent. I don't think you can attribute much of the game's to derpy skins such as the one posted above, since almost no one probably knows about them anyway.

Curl already posted some of the main designs. They are not decent. They are some of the worst since Battleborne. They range from bland to awful.  No one is dying to play a game with a fat dude in ski goggles dishwashing gloves and a 1980s women's winter coat. Alt or not they want people to give money for this.  Everything about the game is unappealing which is why it failed.

Last edited by Leynos - on 01 September 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

shikamaru317 said:
Leynos said:

Can't imagine why

Wow, that is comically bad. Looks like she is cosplaying as a brussel sprout or something. How were the devs and Sony this out of touch? Did they never focus test this game ahead of the first reveal trailer, while there was still time to change things ahead of the reveal?

LMAO! I can’t unsee a brussel sprout now!

IcaroRibeiro said:

This whole pronouns discourse surrounding Concord is stupid and honestly a proof people choose to fight with ghosts

The cast of Concord has robots and humanoids aliens thst only barely resemble humans

The pronouns are just to identify what is the gender of the character. It's just that

Imagine if you could play C3PO from Star Wars, he's a robot and of course don't have sex, but he (look I'm using the pronoun "he") is clearly depicted as a male, this is C3PO gender

In fairytales and other kind of stories is common for beings that are otherwise not gendered to be portrayed as gendered, the pronouns are just a way to make the player understand what are the gender of the robots and non human characters

Social media have clearly rotten people brains if they can no longer understand how gender identity works in fiction without mixing up politics. If you really find a game that have its characters cast displayed on screen something to rage about you're just one of the a deranged and chronically online politics-obsessed person lol

The discourse has primarily been due to questioning as to why pronouns are even needed at all in a video game. For decades it’s never really been a subject addressed or considered till recently as games have purely been entertainment products, so some are questioning why they’re there in the first place.

I agree though that’s it’s been a completely pointless thing to get into an argument about. Especially considering it’s nowhere close to being the reason why the game failed in the first place. 

firebush03 said:

Glancing at some comments on here, I'm a little confused why discussion has gotten into the territory of DEI, pronouns, and such? Concord's failure has almost nothing to do wtih this lol. It has to do with the simple fact that consumers who are interested in GaaS titles likely aren't interested in (i) paying $40 for entry (ii) to an incredibly uninspired and unoriginal experience which (iii) had little to no excitement built up behind it. Why not look toward F2P titles such as Fortnite, Overwatch, or Destiny which'll provide an infinitely better experience without the cost to entry?

Concord failed to find its market of consumers. You can't alienate a market with DEI when you don't have a market in the first place.

Yup, saying something like it failed because of DEI, is giving DEI to much credit. It's really only a discussion I read on English Language forums. The rest of the world does not care. And there is a lot of the Rest of the World.

There is almost nothing to discuss in my opinion. When there're many games of one genre on market at some monent, there's always a chance that new games in such genre will get mixed reception. This game has released in a time when there are a lot of similar titles. Also this genre has a few famous free-to-play projects. This game has a price. It's not bad or good that this game has a price tag. It just has an impact on its popularity among silimar games. It's just another game which includes aspects of multiplayer, MOBA and so on. It's worth nothing that some players are cautious about video games as a service format. Some people don't trust Service Games because they believe that many of them won't be supported in a long term (and that's true as many Service Games stop getting updates after a couple of years). It's almost about the genre which has become generic and there's a stagnation among these games. Even if this game was perfect in every way, it also would have a chance to become ignored by some players. In such genres the overall quality does not always lead to popularity. There're many cases when some games had a big launch and then they were losing players. It's a matter of mix of factors like quality, marketing, a few original ideas, launch dates, road map of support. And don't forget this game has a price tag when some similar games are free-to-play. Free-to-play have a lot of microtransactions but it's not important for some players because these games are "funny and they are free".

Last edited by Vorodroid - on 02 September 2024