Great 5 33.33%

Good 5 33.33%

Mediocre 2 13.33%

Poor 0 0%

Terrible 2 13.33%

No opinion 1 6.67%

Total:15

Lord of The Rings: The war of the Rohirim

I can't decide if it looks good or not. It's got Peter Jackson on bored, that's a good sign. And yes, it's real...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_The_War_of_the_Rohirrim

Around the Network

It looks great. I'm also waiting for the Terminator: Zero anime coming soon :-0

No interest. But I am interested to see if they bring the live action back as a reboot.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

The setting looks amazing, and the score is very promising. But I can't marry the concepts together; for me, the LotR is high fantasy with grim undertones and dark melodrama, and it works in live-action. Anime is different to me, the character design, movements, it all just clashes somehow. I think I would have disliked LotR in another animated format as well, it just doesn't work for me. But it's good that the IP gets new and fresh takes, not to mention something that isn't the woeful Rings of Power on Amazon (suffered through season 1, will not tune in for season 2).

Interesting that this is getting a theatrical release. I'll support it simply in the hopes that more mature animation continues its baby steps into the Western mainstream.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:

The setting looks amazing, and the score is very promising. But I can't marry the concepts together; for me, the LotR is high fantasy with grim undertones and dark melodrama, and it works in live-action. Anime is different to me, the character design, movements, it all just clashes somehow. I think I would have disliked LotR in another animated format as well, it just doesn't work for me. But it's good that the IP gets new and fresh takes, not to mention something that isn't the woeful Rings of Power on Amazon (suffered through season 1, will not tune in for season 2).

Have you watched Bakshi's LotR from 1978? Around mid 80s, I discovered Tolkien's books and that film, and, while constrained by production budget and running time, that animated feature, IMO, managed to translate books in very believable and honest way, while having distinct tone of its own. Honestly, I disliked Jackson's version when it released, from my POV, it missed the tone and character of books quite a bit, but came to appreciate it somewhat at much later date, after watching it with kids.

As for this anime, apart from not liking anime style in general and seeing people of Rohan with manga eyes and faces inducing immediate cringe reaction in me, whole story (at least from trailer) seems like yet another "modern" take on Tolkien's world - I managed to watch pilot of Rings of Power, and said fuck no, so this seems to me like another fuck no moment, at least for me.

HoloDust said:
Mummelmann said:

Have you watched Bakshi's LotR from 1978? Around mid 80s, I discovered Tolkien's books and that film, and, while constrained by production budget and running time, that animated feature, IMO, managed to translate books in very believable and honest way, while having distinct tone of its own. Honestly, I disliked Jackson's version when it released, from my POV, it missed the tone and character of books quite a bit, but came to appreciate it somewhat at much later date, after watching it with kids.

As for this anime, apart from not liking anime style in general and seeing people of Rohan with manga eyes and faces inducing immediate cringe reaction in me, whole story (at least from trailer) seems like yet another "modern" take on Tolkien's world - I managed to watch pilot of Rings of Power, and said fuck no, so this seems to me like another fuck no moment, at least for me.

I have seen the 1978 classic, not all that long ago (think around 2015-2016), mostly out of interest for the technique used in the animation. It's a pretty early version of rotoscope visuals, and appealed to me for that reason. It's campy and charming, and it does follow the books more precisely, but it lacks scope (for obvious reasons). I did like it though, it has dark and unique nerve to it.

The trilogy makes quite a few changes, perhaps most of all to Aragorn and his arc, but I see most of them as necessary from a narrative and pacing standpoint. I love both the books and the movies (I finished my long overdue re-read of the books about one week ago). Rings of Power is a travesty, I have yet to meet a single person who actually likes it. Most give it a shot doe to the debacle surrounding it, and then simply leave it unfinished. It has very impressive visuals, and the score is actually very good, but the writing, acting, plot, pacing, massive disservice to the lore, and many more things, are just incredibly poor. I was shocked at how bad it was, even with low expectations. I've watched Wheel of Time as well; it's pretty weak, but nowhere near RoP levels. At least I've watched the second season of that, I have no plans to torment myself further with RoP season 2. Some say that it "looks better" than season 1, but that's like saying losing one arm is better than losing both; I prefer to keep my arms if the choice is given to me.

There's one specific theme from the LotR books that I feel like Jackson missed a bit in his movies. The contrast between the simplicity of hobbits and the enormity of the task at hand and the factions involved. In the books there are a lot scenes, especially with Sam, which serve to really hammer home how down to earth (pun intended), innocent, and incorruptible hobbits are as a species. This is further enhanced in the ending with the Scouring; the difference between the four hobbits from the Fellowship and the other small folk is easy to spot. But even here, Frodo remains the most hobbit-like in his sensibilities, by insisting that no one be harmed when they send the brigands running, for instance. He, if anyone, should be corrupted and angry, but still has the mildest heart of the four. In spite of this, I think Jackson made the right choice by skipping the Scouring, and by offing Saruman in Two Towers rather than in Return of the King.

Edit; I can watch anime, but the whole concept and feel of it doesn't properly capture Middle-Earth and its inhabitants for me. It's just the wrong type of story. I loved Record of Lodoss War back in the day, it's a classic fantasy concept, but much more suited to the anime style and structure. LotR just feels like the wrong IP.

Edit 2; can't believe I forgot to add this! I really don't like how they use footage from the trilogy in the trailer. It's off-putting, and it lends a sense that the studio doesn't have faith that the concept will sell on its own rights and grounds. It's a very strange creative choice, and only makes half sense from a marketing perspective. It almost bothers me as much as the music in the Gladiator II trailer.

Last edited by Mummelmann - on 23 August 2024

Is this based on something Tolkien actually wrote?

Mummelmann said:

I have seen the 1978 classic, not all that long ago (think around 2015-2016), mostly out of interest for the technique used in the animation. It's a pretty early version of rotoscope visuals, and appealed to me for that reason. It's campy and charming, and it does follow the books more precisely, but it lacks scope (for obvious reasons). I did like it though, it has dark and unique nerve to it.

The trilogy makes quite a few changes, perhaps most of all to Aragorn and his arc, but I see most of them as necessary from a narrative and pacing standpoint. I love both the books and the movies (I finished my long overdue re-read of the books about one week ago). Rings of Power is a travesty, I have yet to meet a single person who actually likes it. Most give it a shot doe to the debacle surrounding it, and then simply leave it unfinished. It has very impressive visuals, and the score is actually very good, but the writing, acting, plot, pacing, massive disservice to the lore, and many more things, are just incredibly poor. I was shocked at how bad it was, even with low expectations. I've watched Wheel of Time as well; it's pretty weak, but nowhere near RoP levels. At least I've watched the second season of that, I have no plans to torment myself further with RoP season 2. Some say that it "looks better" than season 1, but that's like saying losing one arm is better than losing both; I prefer to keep my arms if the choice is given to me.

There's one specific theme from the LotR books that I feel like Jackson missed a bit in his movies. The contrast between the simplicity of hobbits and the enormity of the task at hand and the factions involved. In the books there are a lot scenes, especially with Sam, which serve to really hammer home how down to earth (pun intended), innocent, and incorruptible hobbits are as a species. This is further enhanced in the ending with the Scouring; the difference between the four hobbits from the Fellowship and the other small folk is easy to spot. But even here, Frodo remains the most hobbit-like in his sensibilities, by insisting that no one be harmed when they send the brigands running, for instance. He, if anyone, should be corrupted and angry, but still has the mildest heart of the four. In spite of this, I think Jackson made the right choice by skipping the Scouring, and by offing Saruman in Two Towers rather than in Return of the King.

Edit; I can watch anime, but the whole concept and feel of it doesn't properly capture Middle-Earth and its inhabitants for me. It's just the wrong type of story. I loved Record of Lodoss War back in the day, it's a classic fantasy concept, but much more suited to the anime style and structure. LotR just feels like the wrong IP.

Edit 2; can't believe I forgot to add this! I really don't like how they use footage from the trilogy in the trailer. It's off-putting, and it lends a sense that the studio doesn't have faith that the concept will sell on its own rights and grounds. It's a very strange creative choice, and only makes half sense from a marketing perspective. It almost bothers me as much as the music in the Gladiator II trailer.

I still really want to see the Bakshi version. As well as the other two animated ones from the era; The Hobbit and The Return of the King at least for curiosity's sake, but the Bakshi one actually does look quite interesting by itself.

The Jackson Trilogy is a masterpiece, and I agree that changes made from the books have been for the better. Tom Bombadil wouldn't have added anything and The Scouring of the Shire would have felt like a huge anticlimax after the super-epic destruction of the Ring and Sauron and the conclusion of the entire point of the franchise. However, Saruman is indeed still offed in (at the start of) Return of the King . I even actually also like the Hobbit trilogy quite a bit. While not as good as the LotR Trilogy, and it takes a lot of liberties and adds a lot to the story (though a lot that's added is still inspired or taken from other Tolkien sources) it is worthy of being its prequel.

This new War of the Rohirrim movie looks interesting, it's cool to have another Tolkien story put to screen. I do also agree the anime style does look a bit strange for this franchise. I'm interested though, I'll likely go and see it. Considering who's involved in this, it'll probably be good.

As for The Rings of Power, yes the first season was a mess and it made no sense while also ignoring pretty much all the lore, I think I'm still watching the second season. It's like Star Wars The Acolyte, which was terrible on a whole other level, I just have an itch to scratch. At least the second season of RoP does seem to be an improvement.

TheLegendaryBigBoss said:

Is this based on something Tolkien actually wrote?

The basis of this story is in the Appendices of The Lord of the Rings, so yes, though I don't know how much, was added for this adaptation.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 23 August 2024