By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Nintendo ever make a traditional console again?

I personally have never been a fan of portable systems. As long as they allow it to stream or plug into the television I have no issues. But if it is solely a handheld, I could care less.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network

I mean, maybe the last 5 years, but as of the Wii U, Nintendo was still in the Home console business.  Sure departments change, programs, policies, etc. But that does not mean they will never change back.

Will have to see how the switch 2 does. SNES or NES 2, Wii U, etc have all struggled in the past. Hopefully they Garner the same excitement this next time as well.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

I'm not the biggest portable person either tho I like them but do prefer a TV experience. I love the Switch for allowing a lot more smaller-budget games to thrive and bringing back a huge retro scene on it. I hope that continues on Switch 2. The Switch has one ace up its sleeve that's cumbersome on PS5. TATE MODE! Flip Grip can put the Switch in TATE mode. So perfect for Shmups! Switch is the best Shup machine since the Saturn.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

N64 Classic and Switch or Switch 2 TV (a Switch that can't Switch) are all but guaranteed.
A new platform like NES/Famicom through Wii U? Nope. That's Nintendo intentionally playing with fire.

Zippy6 said:

It would be a mistake to do so.

GB, GBA, DS, 3DS, Switch - Average Sales 115m

Nes, Snes, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U - Average Sales 47m

If it wasn't for the Wii the top 5 selling Nintendo systems would all have handheld capabilities.

That sums it up well. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Obviously at this point, considering their infrastructural changes when it comes to their United software front on the Switch, they're not positioned to go back to the previous state.

Anywoo, just let your Switch in your dock and it'll basically act as a full fledged home console. Easy peasy!

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

There's no reason to go back now that their unified platform is more successful than their dedicated home consoles ever were. Much of their userbase values portability so they'd be cutting out a big chunk of their audience.

I'm not a big fan of portables either; I play my Switch entirely in docked mode so to me it's essentially a home console that I can easily move from place to place. And that's the beauty of it; its flexible form factor allows you to play how you want. 

Honestly why not? they make  a pro model thats console only it would be a cool thing for them to do and provide options just like they have a model that's handheld only. it just seems like they are so against people having better options for better hardware.

Why make a traditional console?

Hear me out. The law of diminishing returns is real why give yourself less time to hit the graphical ceiling. If the ps6 and Xbox series is the third generation where 4k60 is still the bar they are striving for why should nintendo rush to hit that stagnation point?

No. Hybrid/portables (whatever you want to call them) have plenty of fidelity for the average gamer. Nobody is going to complain about a switch 2 that is ps4 to ps4 pro like. If anything, I could see the competition following Nintendo.

Most gamers do not care about having better reflections or shadows, especially given the steep price.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I can see Nintendo leveraging one hardware ecosystem across multiple form factors... That all run the same games.
I.E. Switch TV, Switch Mobile and a Switch that does both.

In-fact, I am surprised they only got half way there with the current Switch console.

As for a traditional home console with different hardware? Not a chance.

Nintendo's most successful generation was the DS+Wii and that is unlikely to ever be replicated again... Nor should it be replicated again.
Nintendo makes the bulk of it's profits from game sales, not hardware, so keeping the internal hardware the same makes the best financial investment for it's software.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--