By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can graphics be too real? Cyberpunk hyper real demo.

I'd play a 100 hour RPG with these graphics...

Yes. 11 55.00%

No. 4 20.00%

No opinion. 5 25.00%

Total:20

Watch on the best screen you have at 4k. 

I think this, while incredibly impressive is as band as all he'll, boring and stale. I'd not want to play a game outside of the racing genre with graphics this ... real. The only thing that remains artistic about this is the character models and the composition of the scenes. Am I the only one. Do you think there's a point where things get too real?

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - on 18 August 2024

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:

I think this, while incredibly impressive is as band as all he'll, boring and stale. I'd not want to play a game outside of the racing genre with graphics this ... real. The only thing that remains artistic about this is the character models and the composition of the scenes. Am I the only one. Do you think there's a point where things get too real?

It's all about personal taste but for me the more realistic the better. Horror games would be way more scarier and open words would be more  engrossing.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 18 August 2024

I would play GT8 for another 3,000 hours if they can make the Nordschleife look like real life.

That Cyberpunk video looks very plastic though, the cars too clean and shiny, environments lacking contrast, too much dof, lens distortion.

This is realism

And it looks very exciting!

zeldaring said:
LegitHyperbole said:

It's all about personal taste but for me the more realistic the better. Horror games would be way more scarier and open words would be more  engrossing.

Yeah, I didn't consider horror games. For sure that be a genre that'd benefit along with racing games. It is personal taste indeed, personally I like a bit of artistry woven into what's on my screen. 

Cyberpunk as a genre should never look hyper-real or clean. That defeats the point of what Cyberpunk is. It's Neo-Noir. High tech low life. Cyberpunk is like a high-tech version of 1970s NYC or 80s Detroit. Run down. Gritty. Gross. Miserable. Hyper stylized. That video is stupid.

Thematically these are more accurate.

Last edited by Leynos - on 18 August 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

I would play GT8 for another 3,000 hours if they can make the Nordschleife look like real life.

That Cyberpunk video looks very plastic though, the cars too clean and shiny, environments lacking contrast, too much dof, lens distortion.

This is realism

Hah. The Cyperpunk video almost looks more real than real. The graphics in that video aren't quite as impressive lmao. God put no detail on the grass, the road workers put no texture on the track and there is zero interesting weather effects. But yeah, everything is way too shiny in the Cyperpunk video, things are never that shiny for Ray tracing to be tech that evolves graphics to the degree as with these demos.  

This doesn’t look enjoyable at all. The chase for photorealism has really slowed over the past 10 years. I still like my video games to look and feel like video games.

Photorealism is good for some games and bad for others. Generally, if photorealism is the goal, the closer the better. Photorealism however does not negate the need for good art design. That Cyberpunk tech demo is kinda ugly imo. The lighting is way too flat, the colors are too muted and generally the world looks visually boring. That isn't a problem with photorealism, it's an issue with the art design imo.

sundin13 said:

Photorealism is good for some games and bad for others. Generally, if photorealism is the goal, the closer the better. Photorealism however does not negate the need for good art design. That Cyberpunk tech demo is kinda ugly imo. The lighting is way too flat, the colors are too muted and generally the world looks visually boring. That isn't a problem with photorealism, it's an issue with the art design imo.

Agreed.

this looks pretty dang real and looks amazing much better then that CYBERpunk video.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 18 August 2024

SvennoJ said:

This is realism

Maybe my bar for hyper-realistic is too high but the cyberpunk doesn't look too real at all to me. It just looks like ultra high res textures. No gamer would ever be fooled by a screenshot and think that's real.

This however, this POV video does genuinely look real at points. 100%

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'