By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Black Myth Wukong: Review Thread

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

To be fair, apparently this game crushes hardware.  Max settings on a 4090 runs at 20 fps....  even a 4090 is going to be limited to 1440p with frame generation.  I'm also tempted to hold on getting this game until a 5090 it out.  

Yeah I know it's demanding but you'd think the ps5 could do better than this. It just doesn't feel like a leap at all. I'm now worried for GTA6.

RT has always been shit on consoles.  I have never been impressed with it.  Even PC struggles with RT.  This is one of the reasons I laugh when people think the switch 2 is going to be a RT machine.  Want to kill fps?  Put on RT.  

But this game, for me, it looking like a wait until better hardware is out.  On a 4090 is looks like 1440p with DLSS + Frame Gen to get 80 ish fps at max settings.  That is crazy.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Yeah I know it's demanding but you'd think the ps5 could do better than this. It just doesn't feel like a leap at all. I'm now worried for GTA6.

RT has always been shit on consoles.  I have never been impressed with it.  Even PC struggles with RT.  This is one of the reasons I laugh when people think the switch 2 is going to be a RT machine.  Want to kill fps?  Put on RT.  

But this game, for me, it looking like a wait until better hardware is out.  On a 4090 is looks like 1440p with DLSS + Frame Gen to get 80 ish fps at max settings.  That is crazy.  

I'm assuming you don't have a 4090? What's a 5090 gonna cost, 4,000? I think it's the CPU you need for this also. The fight at the start without that cloud swirling all around the characters is one of the biggest things I noticed I shortcoming and yeah, I dunno if it's solely RT. There is plenty of detail on the ps5 version but the detail looks shit and stale. Even before RT they down graded a lot. The PC, High all RT off still looks way better and there's a "cinematic" setting above that. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

I'm assuming you don't have a 4090? What's a 5090 gonna cost, 4,000? I think it's the CPU you need for this also. The fight at the start without that cloud swirling all around the characters is one of the biggest things I noticed I shortcoming and yeah, I dunno if it's solely RT. There is plenty of detail on the ps5 version but the detail looks shit and stale. Even before RT they down graded a lot. The PC, High all RT off still looks way better and there's a "cinematic" setting above that. 

I have a 4090.  I would expect a 5090 to $1600 to $2000.  

The problem is RT is harsh even on a 4090.  Maybe RT will be the future, but IMO current hardware can't really handle it.  I keep RT off in many games, even with a 4090.  

According to DSOgaming a 4090 + max settings + 1440p + no RT runs at 60 fps....  good luck ps5.  This game is either poorly optimized or just a generation too early for current hardware.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

The problem is RT is harsh even on a 4090.  Maybe RT will be the future, but IMO current hardware can't really handle it.  I keep RT off in many games, even with a 4090.  

According to DSOgaming a 4090 + max settings + 1440p + no RT runs at 60 fps....  good luck ps5.  This game is either poorly optimized or just a generation too early for current hardware.  

Hopefully the PRO systems focus on this. If you have a 4090 sure play it, cut a few setting in other places. Sure go 1080p if you need to, how's your CPU? I see it in the the your tag but don't know what ot means. Will you find issues with that? 

DF, had it running really decently on just a 4090 but they were mostly concerned about the CPU for things like the fog effects and what not and somewhat the RT high modes too. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

Hopefully the PRO systems focus on this. If you have a 4090 sure play it, cut a few setting in other places. Sure go 1080p if you need to, how's your CPU? I see it in the the your tag but don't know what ot means. Will you find issues with that? 

DF, had it running really decently on just a 4090 but they were mostly concerned about the CPU for things like the fog effects and what not and somewhat the RT high modes too. 

I built my PC last November, so I am still new to PC gaming and I am far from an expert, though I am learning.  The CPU is pretty high end, not as good as 3D AMD CPUs but still robust.  Intel has i3, i5, i7 and i9.  The i7 is higher end, and my understanding is the i9 don't help much with gaming but is more multi-tasking.    

If I were to grab it, based on reading a few articles I would probably go 1440p + max settings + no RT + Frame gen.  Looks like I would get 90-100 fps.  I find fps more important than RT.  120 fps is just amazing, everything is so much more accurate and responsive.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

I built my PC last November, so I am still new to gaming and I am far from an expert, though I am learning.  The CPU is pretty high end, not as good as 3D AMD CPUs but should be pretty robust.  

If I were to grab it, based on reading a few articles I would probably go 1440p + max settings + no RT + Frame gen.  Looks like I would get 90-100 fps.  I find fps more important than RT.  120 fps is just amazing, everything is so much more accurate and responsive.  

I don't know fuck all about PC builds but are all 4090's created equally? Like is an Asus 4090 gonna be better than an MSI 4090? And have you considered that that CPU may be causing your problems? I'm sure you're tracking that. The PS5 PRO is rumored to be all about increasing the CPU so maybe follow what Cerny is doing. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

I built my PC last November, so I am still new to gaming and I am far from an expert, though I am learning.  The CPU is pretty high end, not as good as 3D AMD CPUs but should be pretty robust.  

I don't know fuck all about PC builds but are all 4090's created equally? Like is an Asus 4090 gonna be better than an MSI 4090? And have you considered that that CPU may be causing your problems? I'm sure you're tracking that. The PS5 PRO is rumored to be all about increasing the CPU so maybe follow what Cerny is doing. 

For the most part I think all 4090s are the same.  Yeah, from brand to brand there will be minor differences but nothing that will cause major differences.  The differences between GPU brands can't be more than 5% difference.  

As for the CPU, the Pro isn't going to touch an i7 gen 13 in performance.  I think the CPU was $400 by itself.  If my rig struggles with a game, the ps5 pro is going to get crushed.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

For the most part I think all 4090s are the same.  Yeah, from brand to brand there will be minor differences but nothing that will cause major differences.  The differences between GPU brands can't be more than 5% difference.  

As for the CPU, the Pro isn't going to touch an i7 gen 13 in performance.  I think the CPU was $400 by itself.  If my rig struggles with a game, the ps5 pro is going to get crushed.  

Nice. Well, I see no reason why you should wait on this. You're in the best spot for it. Cut a few settings, knock on the RT on low and you're still gonna have a mighty visual feast on your hands. Unless your one of the PC players who can't decide what settings to change and never end up playing the game, I know I used to be one and then you'll have a real headache on your hands. 

LegitHyperbole said:

There's no 'next gen" vibe at all on ps5 even without side by sides, it looks like something the PRO could run. It's so toned down. Demon souls looks bette. 

That's pretty much the story of the ps5. If you wanna go with  nextgen engine it's not worth it and games tend to look better just going with last gen engines at higher settings and 60fps. That's why horizon, RDR2, GOW:ragnorak, spider man 2  and last of us 2 are easily the best looking ps5 games IMO.

zeldaring said:
LegitHyperbole said:

There's no 'next gen" vibe at all on ps5 even without side by sides, it looks like something the PRO could run. It's so toned down. Demon souls looks bette. 

That's pretty much the story of the ps5. If you wanna go with  nextgen engine it's not worth it and games tend to look better just going with last gen engines at higher settings and 60fps. That's why horizon, RDR2, GOW:ragnorak, spider man 2  and last of us 2 are easily the best looking ps5 games IMO.

Fingers crossed the first party studios are cooking something up. What'd ya think of Demon souls? That still looks to be one of the best looking. As long as Rockstar are using the same RDR2 engine and can pull ot off I don't much care, it's the only game I want to be wowed by, most other games you end up forgetting about the visuals. That and Naughty dog if they are still on the third person stealth action adventure going into their next game. If you're playing a game for it to be a game and focusing on gameplay you quickly forget about graphics.