By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Black Myth Wukong: Review Thread

Everything is massive step to your typical action rpg game, the variety in gameplay is unmatched with 6 tranformations, the graphics look amazing as well, and the world is massive. the combat look super fluid and responsive. This could finally be the next step up for these type of games.

Reviews are and it's a 82 on both Metracrtic and Open critic with 54 reviews https://www.metacritic.com/game/black-myth-wukong/critic-reviews/?platform=pc

Black Myth: Wukong Critic Review
After all those years of waiting, Black Myth: Wukong is a very good adventure game. Using a setting that rarely gets seen in the Western world makes the game intriguing, and that's strengthened when you discover all of the character background stories. The combat is just as varied as the environments you traverse, and while the game isn't as masochistic as other modern action games, it is difficult enough that a little patience and planning will still take you a long way in skirmishes. The presentation is amazing, but it stresses out even the best hardware at the moment. To optimize the gorgeous graphics in Black Myth, players need beefy hardware that can take advantage of various upscaling technologies. It is a worthy pick-up for patient adventure fans, and the title will keep players busy for quite some time.
Aug 16, 2024
With strong combat and a fascinating world that mostly rewards exploration, Black Myth: Wukong is a fun action RPG that feels like the modern God of War games viewed through the lens of Chinese mythology.
Black Myth: Wukong Critic Review
Black Myth Wukong is the Journey to the West adaptation I've always wanted – an ambitious action RPG with stunning visuals, spectacular boss designs, and snappy combat. However, sluggish camera tracking, restrictive exploration, and early-game difficulty spikes might be a dealbreaker for some.
GAMESPOT 80
Black Myth: Wukong is an uneven game where the highlights often outnumber the lowlights. Its triumphant boss battles and fast-paced combat make up for the stale moments in between, where bland level design and a scarcity of enemies will have you clamoring for the next face-off with a deadly Yaoguai. I appreciate that it's not just another souls-like in what is now a crowded genre, and the choice to go for a boss gauntlet is unexpected and, honestly, quite refreshing. It's disappointing that it falters outside of its cinematic clashes against mighty beasts, but designing this many rousing boss battles while avoiding a sense of fatigue is no mean feat and deserves praise.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 16 August 2024

Around the Network

Too early for the next gen and it's releasing on the current gen.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm hopeful but part of me is expecting mediocre scores or it ends up as something we don't expect it to be like Boss gauntlet with enemy filled hallways between them. Visually it looks the stuff.

Leynos said:

Too early for the next gen and it's releasing on the current gen.

In terms of action rpg's it looks nextgen compared to what we have on current gen gameplay wise and graphically, it's more ambitious then anything we have seen before.

Looks really good. So does Space Marines 2.

It recommends a 2060... not sure how this is graphics we haven't seen before.

AW2, Hellblade 2 and Space Marines 2 all recommended more, and look more technically impressive.

I think you are confusing graphics with art preferences.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Looks really good. So does Space Marines 2.

It recommends a 2060... not sure how this is graphics we haven't seen before.

AW2, Hellblade 2 and Space Marines 2 all recommended more, and look more technically impressive.

I think you are confusing graphics with art preferences.

I'm talking about gameplay wise and the genre in general. The combat looks to be next level and there is nothing in the genre of action RPG that touches it graphically. Also art prefernces are part of graphics.

Next gen?

Looks like it will be a fun game if you like action dogs. And really well made.

A lot of hyperbole and hype to describe it as next gen though.

MadDogg said:

Next gen?

Did you watch the trailer? compared to action rpgs we have now it looks a step above everything but we will have to wait for reviews.

zeldaring said:
MadDogg said:

Next gen?

Did you watch the trailer? compared to action rpgs we have now it looks a step above everything but we will have to wait for reviews.

So what about the trailer is only feasible on next gen hardware. What about the trailer implies it’s next gen and not simply a really well made current gen game?  

im not following your line of thinking. I’d be surprised if anyone else authentically was able to follow it as well. 

looks like a great game tho. Might pick it up on switch 2 when it gets ported. 

Last edited by MadDogg - on 11 August 2024

MadDogg said:
zeldaring said:

So what about the trailer is only feasible on next gen hardware. What about the trailer implies it’s next gen and not simply a really well made current gen game?  

im not following your line of thinking. I’d be surprised if anyone else authentically was able to follow it as well. 

looks like a great game tho. Might pick it up on switch 2 when it gets ported. 

This is something ps4 would never run and i doubt even ps5 version is gonna be great  but the variety in combat is insane. you can transform into animals as well, like bees and wolves, but it's best to wait for reviews but it's something i have never seen from the genre before graphically or gameplay wise.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 11 August 2024