Forums - Politics Discussion - EU and UK politics [OT]

The UK rioters are made up of...

The Far right 13 54.17%

Some Far right, mostly normal people. 2 8.33%

Normal everyday working class people 6 25.00%

A mix of both 3 12.50%

Total:24
sundin13 said:

I don't know much about UK Politics, but I have seen a noticeable trend in the US that when an immigrant commits a crime, anti-immigration factions immediately use it as a call to arms. "An immigrant committed a crime so we must deport all immigrants due to their intrinsic danger" type stuff. Yet, 100s of white Americans can commit crimes, even specifically political terrorist attacks, and no one in those factions will bat an eye or call out white Americans for their intrinsic danger.

I see no value in this type of rhetoric. It is searching for an incident to justify an often racist or xenophobic cause.

Yes. I agree, the worst of the extreme right and left take advantage of these situations and make them worse. What do you think though, are the people on the ground actually far fight or is it composed of normal everyday citizens being used by Far right instigators? I know you're not from the UK (I'm not either)  but at a glacé whata ya reckon?

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

Tober had an excellent post that was previously deleted. Perhaps he can repeat it, given it summed up my thoughts.

Hopefully this issue passes quickly. I'm being told to avoid public transportation and to work from home.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear you're in the think of things. Do you think you'll be targeted or are you staying away just to be safe? It's such a shit situation all around but doesn't look like it's gonna die down soon after hearing the Governements response to demonise the people. It'll only make them more angry and ready to out up a fight against authority. :(

I'm not too concerned to be honest.  Stay away from angry people seems easy enough.  Just a shame overall.  

I lived in Memphis and Charlotte when they had riots as well.  Part if life, unfortunately.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Tober had an excellent post that was previously deleted. Perhaps he can repeat it, given it summed up my thoughts.

Hopefully this issue passes quickly. I'm being told to avoid public transportation and to work from home.

Here you go

In general I am not a fan of labeling people.

If one is critical of e.g. Israels actions in Gaza, it does not make one an anti-semite. If one is critical of mass immigration, it does not make one a Xenophobe or racist.

Labeling people to be part of a extreme group is a way of shaming people with the objective to trivialize their point of view on any given subject. Essentially to discourage open discussion.

The UK protest should be about the why. Why do these happen, where does the frustration of people come from to take it to the streets. Just labeling them this or that is not helpful at all.

Last edited by Tober - on 07 August 2024

I believe they are mostly far right because normal people don't go crazy attacking other unrelated people

But anyway, their political instance is not important. Whatever they believe about immigrants and people of colour, they crossed the line with those riots, time to UK enforce the law

Tober said:
Chrkeller said:

Here you go

If one is critical of e.g. Israels actions in Gaza, it does not make one an anti-semite. If one is critical of mass immigration, it does not make one a Xenophobe or racist.

Labeling people to be part of a extreme group is a way of shaming people with the objective to trivialize their point of view on any given subject. Essentially to discourage open discussion.

The UK protest should be about the why. Why do these happen, where does the frustration of people come from to take it to the streets. Just labeling them this or that is not helpful at all. In this regard, I think the wiki page mentioned above is quite shameful.

Thank you, much appreciated.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

I believe they are mostly far right because normal people don't go crazy attacking other unrelated people

But anyway, their political instance is not important. Whatever they believe about immigrants and people of colour, they crossed the line with those riots, time to UK enforce the law

Why don't they enforce the law on illegal immigration? Fix the leak at the pipe and not the tap. Also, did you think the George Floyd riots which seeped into Europe were extreme left or normal people, what was your stance then, did you think them justified?

Myself, I think all riots are atrocious and unjustified but I see where both instances were people at their breaking point. People were fed up with the cops then, now they're fed up with crime. Something had to be done about illeagal immigration on the continental and in the UK and Ireland. It's causing severe problems like these riots, crime, financial pressures on our governments and people. Do you not think?

Tober said:
Chrkeller said:

Here you go

The UK protest should be about the why. Why do these happen, where does the frustration of people come from to take it to the streets. Just labeling them this or that is not helpful at all. In this regard, I think the wiki page mentioned above is quite shameful.

Said perfectly. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/29/germany-legalising-cannabis-europe-britain-tough-drugs

"Germany is a significant addition to the growing list of countries defecting from the drug war consensus that had held for more than half a century. More than half a billion people now live in jurisdictions establishing legal adult access to cannabis for recreational use"

Old news but one that is interesting. I was wondering is there people on here in other EU countries that feel their country might follow suit soon enough?

When it comes to civil unrest/uprising. I think we need to distinguish between the fuel and the spark.

Usually when something like this happens people zoom in on the spark. Media certainly does. In the UK situation it's pointed out that the cause is that populist made claims that angered people in such a way, that it got out of hand. In other words it's all the blame of the populist rhetoric.

But the rootcause is not the spark. The rootcause is that the tinderbox was fueled up. If this spark did not happen, another one would. Perhaps a week later, a month, a year. But it would have happened regardless.

Almost in every case it's that people believe they are disenfranchised and left behind by their (elected) government, is what is what is causing the tinderbox to fuel up. This usually takes years. People express their concerns. Government does not listen either by choice or ineptitude. Temperature is rising. This is a leadership problem.

And then a spark happens and it's chaos.

To address this in a meaningful way is to look at the fuel. Why is the temperature is rising.

I'm Dutch, strong population growth in the past years is putting a lot of stress on our systems. Most of that growth is from migration. Housing cannot keep up, especially in the affordable sectors. Making it more and more difficult for low/medium income groups to find a home they can buy or rent. Waiting list for social housing is getting out of control.

Migration centers to handle asylum request are overburdened, making any procedure take ages. Many more are build throughout the country for economic refugees to wait for those procedures to happen, often against the will of the local residents. Small crimes, like theft are increasing in these areas where these migration centers are located. Residents feel less safe.

There is nothing Xenophobic or racist to point out the causality between these problems and the strong influx of population growth through migration. To address these problems is to have an adult conversation, not to label people with genuine concerns Xenophobic or racist. To deny the people to be listened to and refuse to take action is what fuels the tinderbox. Again, this is a leadership problem.

LegitHyperbole said:
sundin13 said:

I don't know much about UK Politics, but I have seen a noticeable trend in the US that when an immigrant commits a crime, anti-immigration factions immediately use it as a call to arms. "An immigrant committed a crime so we must deport all immigrants due to their intrinsic danger" type stuff. Yet, 100s of white Americans can commit crimes, even specifically political terrorist attacks, and no one in those factions will bat an eye or call out white Americans for their intrinsic danger.

I see no value in this type of rhetoric. It is searching for an incident to justify an often racist or xenophobic cause.

Yes. I agree, the worst of the extreme right and left take advantage of these situations and make them worse. What do you think though, are the people on the ground actually far fight or is it composed of normal everyday citizens being used by Far right instigators? I know you're not from the UK (I'm not either)  but at a glacé whata ya reckon?

Far-right or people manipulated by far-right actors, doesn't make much of a difference to me.

LegitHyperbole said:

Myself, I think all riots are atrocious and unjustified but I see where both instances were people at their breaking point. People were fed up with the cops then, now they're fed up with crime. Something had to be done about illeagal immigration on the continental and in the UK and Ireland. It's causing severe problems like these riots, crime, financial pressures on our governments and people. Do you not think?

Also, weird to use anti-immigrant rioting as a "severe problem" that should be fixed by stricter immigration enforcement. Seems kinda like a problem with anti-immigration rhetoric...