By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which Nintendo home console had the worst twilight years (post SNES)?

burninmylight said:

Outside of a little extra content in the form of Ada's side story, the RE4 port on PS2 was inferior in every way imaginable.

But otherwise, I was going to say what you were alluding to in that everyone seems to be forgetting that the Wii U had something the N64, GCN and Wii didn't have, which was a solid pipeline of indy games. Shantae, Freedom Planet, OlliOlli, Don't Starve, Oddworld, Chariot, Citizens of Earth, Octodad the aforementioned Axiom Verge, Runbow. All of these were on Wii U, forgive me if not all of them fall within the two years before the launch of the Switch.

HoloDust said:

In both 2015 and 2016 there were some really great indy games - a lot were already mentioned, I'll add Shovel Knight, Affordable Space Adventures and SteamWorld Heist. But in 2017, WiiU felt like it was instantly cut from life support, both from Nintendo and other devs.

Agreed. As bad as third party support was on Wii U, Indie games were the one thing that kept the system alive outside of Nintendo. I mean, systems like the N64 and GameCube wish they could've had this kind of support.

Last edited by TheMisterManGuy - on 27 August 2024

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:

HoloDust said:

In both 2015 and 2016 there were some really great indy games - a lot were already mentioned, I'll add Shovel Knight, Affordable Space Adventures and SteamWorld Heist. But in 2017, WiiU felt like it was instantly cut from life support, both from Nintendo and other devs.

HoloDust said:

Agreed. As bad as third party support was on Wii U, Indie games were the one thing that kept the system alive outside of Nintendo. I mean, systems like the N64 and GameCube wish they could've had this kind of support.

Both in shovelware and good stuff, digital distribution helped the Wii U have a far larger library than N64 and a lot bigger than GameCube. As far as retail games in quantity (and probably quality) it still falls well below even N64. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Its the WiiU

Not only Twilight but in general.

I'm actually gonna defend Wii's 2011 as quite solid.

That year saw the release of Skyward Sword, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Xenoblade Chronicles in PAL territories, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower in Japan, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, Rayman Origins, de Blob 2, Conduit 2, FAST Racing League...

It was really only the final years, 2006/2012/2016, that were truly dismal. Of those, I'd rank 2016 as the worst as 2006 at least had Twilight Princess and 2012 at least had Project Zero 2: Wii Edition and the Rainfall localizations, whereas 2016 was, for me at least, a total loss with nothing worth buying.