By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Best graphics on Nintendo Switch

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Not true; there are a number of Switch games that support these kind of modern effects without sacrificing resolution; FAST RMX, Metroid Prime Remastered, Alien Isolation, Outlast II, Sniper Elite 4, Strange Brigade, Zombie Army 4...

Xenoblade 3's lower resolution is not just because of the effects it pushes but the fact it is pushing enormous open levels at the same time. And it's image quality isn't bad; it's using a modern temporal upsampling solution that Digital Foundry stated "passable rendition of 1080p when docked and 720p in portable play."

Those games are usually very limited in scope and don't really have much going calcualtions wise. According to restera xenoblade blade 3 hits 540p when action gets intense. That Pic you posted looks like it has smear of Vaseline on it.

You're moving the goalposts; you said it was too weak to handle them without sacrificing resolution in a big way. You don't get to now rule out the games that disprove this statement. And Sniper Elite 4 has massive open maps with tons of enemies and interactive objects in play, and it runs at or very close to 1080p while running PBR, screen space reflections, bokeh depth of field, etc.

Using base resolution in a game with temporal upsampling and other image reconstruction techniques doesn't accurately portray the end result; DF themselves said it provides a "passable 1080p."

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Those games are usually very limited in scope and don't really have much going calcualtions wise. According to restera xenoblade blade 3 hits 540p when action gets intense. That Pic you posted looks like it has smear of Vaseline on it.

You're moving the goalposts; you said it was too weak to handle them without sacrificing resolution in a big way. You don't get to now rule out the games that disprove this statement. And Sniper Elite 4 has massive open maps with tons of enemies and interactive objects in play, and it runs at or very close to 1080p while running PBR, screen space reflections, bokeh depth of field, etc.

Using base resolution in a game with temporal upsampling and other image reconstruction techniques doesn't accurately portray the end result; DF themselves said it provides a "passable 1080p."

Am I supposed to know every single game that using some advanced feature I usually just watch the games that have the features and actually look nextgen. For the most part the game are really low resolution. 

The thing about XC3 is that it looks way better than 2, especially in handheld mode, while being a bigger and more ambitious game. It looks OK to me considering what type of game it is and the hardware it's running, but yeah, there's better looking games on the Switch.

I also don't think the first RDR looks that great. It's probably because I played 2 first but to me RDR1 doesn't look that impressive. On Switch the best looking open world game is either BOTW or TOTK imo.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

• has FMV in the intro
  • XC2 dips as low as 360p with sharpening
  • XC3 might feature temporal upsampling
    • sampling previous frames to improve IQ
  • XC2 was spatial
  • common resolution is 540p in docked
  • fast motion reveals the true res
  • in portable, the resolution is similar to XC2 (360p minimum) but significantly better IQ

DF summary 

RedKingXIII said:

The thing about XC3 is that it looks way better than 2, especially in handheld mode, while being a bigger and more ambitious game. It looks OK to me considering what type of game it is and the hardware it's running, but yeah, there's better looking games on the Switch.

I also don't think the first RDR looks that great. It's probably because I played 2 first but to me RDR1 doesn't look that impressive. On Switch the best looking open world game is either BOTW or TOTK imo.

I'm playing both botw and red dead at the on my 14 inch laptop, just to compare lol and honestly it's gonna come to preference. if you prefer realistic or anime they are both gorgeous but I prefer red dead slightly like the horses look and the animate and I love the wild west setting. It's just has a lot more detail obviously cause it's going for a realistic look.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 01 August 2024

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Am I supposed to know every single game that using some advanced feature I usually just watch the games that have the features and actually look nextgen. For the most part the game are really low resolution. 

Not really; it isn't just "impossible ports" from PS4/XBO that use modern effects on Switch. Bowser's Fury, Monster Hunter Rise, and Pikmin 4 use screen space reflections, BOTW/TOTK use physics-driven particles, FIFA/FC on Switch uses PBR, etc.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

• has FMV in the intro
  • XC2 was spatial
  • in portable, the resolution is similar to XC2 (360p minimum) but significantly better IQ

DF summary 

DF also said though: "Yes, the resolution slips to similarly low levels but what you see by eye is noticeably sharper, which is what matters" and "given the quality of this title across the board in terms of gameplay, technology and presentation, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is highly recommended".

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 August 2024

zeldaring said:
RedKingXIII said:

I'm playing both botw and red dead at the on my 14 inch laptop, just to compare lol and honestly it's gonna come to preference. if you prefer realistic or anime they are both gorgeous but I prefer red dead slightly like the horses look and the animate and I love the wild west setting. It's just has a lot more detail obviously cause it's going for a realistic look.

Yeah, it all comes to preference. If you like realistic artstyles and the wild west theme then obviously you'll like RDR more, and there's nothing wrong with that.

To me now that we have RDR2 to make direct comparisons, RDR1 starts showing its age. Kinda like the Uncharted trilogy, they were all very impressive when they launched on the PS3 but now that we have Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy on the PS4 they're not as impressive as they once were. Still good looking games, but now there's better looking ones.

Time will probably be much kinder to cartoony games like BOTW/TOTK, even after the next Zelda comes out.

RedKingXIII said:
zeldaring said:

Yeah, it all comes to preference. If you like realistic artstyles and the wild west theme then obviously you'll like RDR more, and there's nothing wrong with that.

To me now that we have RDR2 to make direct comparisons, RDR1 starts showing its age. Kinda like the Uncharted trilogy, they were all very impressive when they launched on the PS3 but now that we have Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy on the PS4 they're not as impressive as they once were. Still good looking games, but now there's better looking ones.

Time will probably be much kinder to cartoony games like BOTW/TOTK, even after the next Zelda comes out.

I'm sure botw/totk will look dated if Nintendo pushes switch 2 right with the next open world  zelda. Really dead looks dated if you compare while playing it looks damn good. Like I honestly prettier then elden ring from what I remember playing.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Not really; it isn't just "impossible ports" from PS4/XBO that use modern effects on Switch. Bowser's Fury, Monster Hunter Rise, and Pikmin 4 use screen space reflections, BOTW/TOTK use physics-driven particles, FIFA/FC on Switch uses PBR, etc.

zeldaring said:
  • has FMV in the intro
  • XC2 was spatial

DF summary 

DF also said though: "Yes, the resolution slips to similarly low levels but what you see by eye is noticeably sharper, which is what matters" and "given the quality of this title across the board in terms of gameplay, technology and presentation, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is highly recommended".

They are comparing it to as  xenoblade 2 which was a disaster resolution wise. I seen pics and plenty gameplay footage it looks really blurry to me but I guess if you used to switch impossible parts it's  not bad.

As for those other games you mentioned they  look really average graphically to me but it's cool there using new techniques.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

zeldaring said:
  • has FMV in the intro
  • XC2 was spatial

DF summary 

They are comparing it to as  xenoblade 2 which was a disaster resolution wise. I seen pics and plenty gameplay footage it looks really blurry to me but I guess if you used to switch impossible parts it's  not bad.

As for those other games you mentioned they  look really average graphically to me but it's cool there using new techniques.

No offense but it seems everything Nintendo looks unimpressive to you as you seem to really strongly dislike them.

And that's okay, you're allowed to not like them, but you don't need to derail every Nintendo related thread by shitting on them for pages on end.