By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Ace Combat 7 on Switch

burninmylight said:
kazuyamishima said:

Good thing is that we have the data, in the UK, Hogwarts Legacy sold more than 1m. Units on PS5 at the end of 2023, the Nintendo Switch version was at around 150k at the same timeframe, releasing at a later date of course. 

EA Sports FC 24 about the same story, Mortal Kombat 1 as well. These games have a lower price point on Switch than their PS5 counterpart.

You basically picked a random week where those games sold better physically (yes, physical units only charts) on switch than PS5, the different versions basically trade places everytime. 

As for the game in the topic, it ran like Ass on PS4/Xbone to begin with, the devs could had done a better job.

I mean, the Switch is capable of running a lot of games decently, but some people act like the system has the specs of an iPhone 4s and is doing miracles. 

Lol at calling last week's sales data "a random week," but guess what? We got a new week's worth of data. Let's see what I've pulled out of my kiester this time.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/07/uk-charts-luigis-mansion-2-hd-stands-firm-while-sales-shake-things-up

Hogwarts Legacy

Switch 45%, PS5 22%, PS4 22%, Xbox One 6%

EA Sports FC 24

Switch 41%, PS5 29%, PS4 26%, Xbox Series 4%

-

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

Switch 46%, PS5 42%, PS4 7%, Xbox Series 6%

-

11 Sonic Superstars Switch 77%, PS5 12%, PS4 8%, Xbox Series 3%

16 Bluey: The Videogame Switch 87%, PS4 7%, PS5 4%, Xbox Series 2%

It Takes Two

Switch 55%, PS4 45%

-

24 Sea of Stars Switch 87%, PS5 10%, PS4 2%, Xbox Series 1%

-

28 Just Dance 2024 Edition Switch 98%, PS5 2%, Xbox Series 0%

40 Mortal Kombat 1 PS5 68%, Xbox Series 18%, Switch 14%

Outside of MK1, every multiplatform game sold best on Switch.

Good thing is that we have the data, in the UK, Hogwarts Legacy sold more than 1m. Units on PS5 at the end of 2023, the Nintendo Switch version was at around 150k at the same timeframe, releasing at a later date of course. 

I would hope that the version of the game that had a nine-month head start would be leading the one that came much later in lifetime sales. Good job PS5, bravo!

Oh come on, are we really gonna pretend 3rd party games sell better on switch off 2 week  chart in the uk thats physical? how many third party games have sold on 1 million switch you can probably count them on one hand.  you have  fc 2025 coming out in a month lets see how much it accounts for last time it was only 9%. We are probably talking around 800 units here per week.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 23 July 2024

Around the Network
burninmylight said:
kazuyamishima said:

EA Sports FC 24 about the same story, Mortal Kombat 1 as well. These games have a lower price point on Switch than their PS5 counterpart.

You basically picked a random week where those games sold better physically (yes, physical units only charts) on switch than PS5, the different versions basically trade places everytime. 

As for the game in the topic, it ran like Ass on PS4/Xbone to begin with, the devs could had done a better job.

I mean, the Switch is capable of running a lot of games decently, but some people act like the system has the specs of an iPhone 4s and is doing miracles. 

Lol at calling last week's sales data "a random week," but guess what? We got a new week's worth of data. Let's see what I've pulled out of my kiester this time.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/07/uk-charts-luigis-mansion-2-hd-stands-firm-while-sales-shake-things-up

Hogwarts Legacy

Switch 45%, PS5 22%, PS4 22%, Xbox One 6%

EA Sports FC 24

Switch 41%, PS5 29%, PS4 26%, Xbox Series 4%

-

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

Switch 46%, PS5 42%, PS4 7%, Xbox Series 6%

-

11Sonic SuperstarsSwitch 77%, PS5 12%, PS4 8%, Xbox Series 3%

16Bluey: The VideogameSwitch 87%, PS4 7%, PS5 4%, Xbox Series 2%

It Takes Two

Switch 55%, PS4 45%

-

24Sea of StarsSwitch 87%, PS5 10%, PS4 2%, Xbox Series 1%

-

28Just Dance 2024 EditionSwitch 98%, PS5 2%, Xbox Series 0%

40Mortal Kombat 1PS5 68%, Xbox Series 18%, Switch 14%

Outside of MK1, every multiplatform game sold best on Switch.

I would hope that the version of the game that had a nine-month head start would be leading the one that came much later in lifetime sales. Good job PS5, bravo!

Those splits are interesting, however Just Dance 2024? Is the UK physical version a CODE-IN-A-BOX like Australia, or you getting a real physical version? In AUS we are getting a lot of CODE-IN-A-BOX games which I have been skipping, fuck that bullshit practice. 

Great game

Ultimately how much Switch versions sell vs PS is kinda beside the point; what matters is that they sell enough to be profitable, and it's pretty clear that they are, at least for the most part, otherwise they would have stopped after the system's first year like with Wii U.

We know from interviews that this port has been in the works since 2022; a dev is not gonna make that kind of investment if they don't see it as worthwhile:
https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/67817/interview-ace-combat-7-producer-talks-switch-port-development

curl-6 said:

Ultimately how much Switch versions sell vs PS is kinda beside the point; what matters is that they sell enough to be profitable, and it's pretty clear that they are, at least for the most part, otherwise they would have stopped after the system's first year like with Wii U.

We know from interviews that this port has been in the works since 2022; a dev is not gonna make that kind of investment if they don't see it as worthwhile:
https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/67817/interview-ace-combat-7-producer-talks-switch-port-development

Wiiu sold like 10 million WW sold, so of course it's worth porting it to switch with such a massive userbase. It's really mind boggling that namco and capcom have not ported more of their games, and this coming out 5 years later is just weird. That's the only reason that we can say maybe it's not worth it for them because  a port should not be more then 1 million dollars.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 23 July 2024

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Thanks for saving me the trouble. Zeldaring said Ace Combat 7 was sent out to die on the Switch. The point is that third party games aren't being sent out to die on the Switch. You don't even need charts to show this. Just look at the fact that Switch is still getting meaningful ports that took time and effort seven years into its life.

burninmylight said:
curl-6 said:

Thanks for saving me the trouble. Zeldaring said Ace Combat 7 was sent out to die on the Switch. The point is that third party games aren't being sent out to die on the Switch. You don't even need charts to show this. Just look at the fact that Switch is still getting meaningful ports that took time and effort seven years into its life.

It was  only sent to die because it was released  when the switch is really slowing down WW  and  the port arrived way to late everyone that wanted to play this already probably has.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 24 July 2024

Just started my playthrough of this; finished the first mission and so far I'm quite impressed; it really looks above and beyond what you'd expect from a Switch port of a PS4/XBO title. Definitely one of the more polished attempts at bringing a game built for the 8th gen twins to Nintendo's hybrid.

Load times are nice and snappy too which is a plus.

GaoGaiGarV said:

Devs definitely got some extra time to optimize the code for the portable version, so at least you have to commend Namco for that, but they still had to do some serious cuts of a game that visually didn't have that high of a baseline anyways.

I'd disagree on the game not having a high visual bar to begin with.

DF gave the base game a positive review where they said it looked "stunning" and "gorgeous"

It's a late gen UE4 game running a sophisticated volumetric cloud simulation system which DF called "one of the best in gaming" and which the devs were unsure would even run on Switch. It's quite a graphically intensive title.

And honestly, the cuts are really not that serious. You do get some pop-in when flying low, but as a compromise for it to look as good as it does while running at a rock solid framerate I'd say the concessions are well judged and worthwhile.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 August 2024

curl-6 said:

Just started my playthrough of this; finished the first mission and so far I'm quite impressed; it really looks above and beyond what you'd expect from a Switch port of a PS4/XBO title. Definitely one of the more polished attempts at bringing a game built for the 8th gen twins to Nintendo's hybrid.

GaoGaiGarV said:

Devs definitely got some extra time to optimize the code for the portable version, so at least you have to commend Namco for that, but they still had to do some serious cuts of a game that visually didn't have that high of a baseline anyways.

DF gave the base game a positive review where they said it looked "stunning" and "gorgeous"

It's a late gen UE4 game running a sophisticated volumetric cloud simulation system which DF called "one of the best in gaming" and which the devs were unsure would even run on Switch. It's quite a graphically intensive title.

And honestly, the cuts are really not that serious. You do get some pop-in when flying low, but as a compromise for it to look as good as it does while running at a rock solid framerate I'd say the concessions are well judged and worthwhile.

I could be wrong, but isn't the ps4 a solid 60 fps while the Switch is a variable 30 fps?  That is a pretty big difference.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

I could be wrong, but isn't the ps4 a solid 60 fps while the Switch is a variable 30 fps?  That is a pretty big difference.  

Base PS4 is a variable 50-60fps, Switch is an almost completely locked 30fps.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 August 2024