By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Where do you rank the Switch among Nintendo handhelds?

KLXVER said:

Easily #1. Not even close.

No shoehorned gimmicks(just a bunch of old ones), 2 player out of the box, console library on a portable, seemingly impossible ports, great 3rd party support, extremely long life cycle.

Joycons drifting and sluggish eshop are really the only problems the switch has portably.   

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

A Switch Mini/Switch Pocket the size of a smartphone would be interesting. The tech exists, of course. It would basically be the size of a PS Vita 1000 but with far better specs crammed into it. I doubt we'll get one because Nintendo wants large profits and cramming Switch's architecture into a smartphone size is not that profitable.

Isn't that basically what the Switch Lite is?...

TheMisterManGuy said:
Wman1996 said:

A Switch Mini/Switch Pocket the size of a smartphone would be interesting. The tech exists, of course. It would basically be the size of a PS Vita 1000 but with far better specs crammed into it. I doubt we'll get one because Nintendo wants large profits and cramming Switch's architecture into a smartphone size is not that profitable.

I honestly don't think they can feasibly get much smaller with the Switch form factor. It's already about the size of an IPAD without the Joy Cons attached.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

I honestly don't think they can feasibly get much smaller with the Switch form factor. It's already about the size of an IPAD without the Joy Cons attached.

Admittedly, they are closer than I thought (not my image)

As I said, it would be an awesome tech experiment to get Switch Lite at least as small as Vita, but they are close enough in the eyes of Nintendo and many others plus like I said it would be less profitable. 

Admittedly, any new Switch SKU at this point would make more sense to be a Switch TV (microconsole size with a Pro Controller instead of JoyCons). That would be more profitable and requested than a Switch Lite shrunk by 15-30%.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

IcaroRibeiro said:

I can't rank, because it's not a handheld

Switch Lite is definitely a handheld and runs all Switch games.

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
Mar1217 said:

As I said, it would be an awesome tech experiment to get Switch Lite at least as small as Vita, but they are close enough in the eyes of Nintendo and many others plus like I said it would be less profitable. 

Admittedly, any new Switch SKU at this point would make more sense to be a Switch TV (microconsole size with a Pro Controller instead of JoyCons). That would be more profitable and requested than a Switch Lite shrunk by 15-30%.

That is great. I wish Switch didn't have a drift issue or I would get that. Vita has the best size and shape for any handheld.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Wman1996 said:

That is great. I wish Switch didn't have a drift issue or I would get that. Vita has the best size and shape for any handheld.

GPA SP was an amazing shape, but of course really low-resolution and a really small screen.

Yeah Vita 1000 (and even some love for Vita 2000) have perhaps the best mold of any handheld console to date. It's pretty much a smartphone shape with controls and extra ergonomics for gripping. 

Had Nintendo never gone with dual screens, I wouldn't be surprised if their handhelds would look like PSP and Vita since even the GBA seems like an early version of the shape PlayStation went for. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Leynos said:
Wman1996 said:

I’ve started taking the train to work so I dusted off my Vita for the commute. I’ve been reminded how great the hardware is. It’s such a sleek, sexy, compact handheld, with a gorgeous screen. It’s a shame the software support dried up so quickly.

Switch is alright but my favorite handheld is the gba. The switch is like the gba but with good graphics.

BiON!@