By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Great shows ruined by terrible endings (Hide the spoilers)

We all watched a lot of TV shows or series in our life. But sometimes, what used to be a great story, with our favorite characters and settings, can be destroyed by the ending. It can let us down, or do a unwanted plot twist that ruins everything.

It's not easy to finish a series with everything done right, but sometimes they just throw it at the garbage.

I remember "Two and a Half Men" for example. Eight great seasons, but then everything went downhill and the final episode was very, very poor. But I think this isn't the best example, since the show had a couple of bad seasons before that.

What about you? Do you have other examples?

Around the Network

Midnight Mass on Netflix. I loved the show, the characters and the plot leading to the final episode (although the amount of monologues was starting to become tiring) but then the end comes and

Spoiler!
the critical issue for me was how were they gonna be able to take on that ancestral vampire. We're talking about a vampire who has lived for hundreds of years and has no doubt killed uncountable amounts of people thus survived many fights.

The way they deal with the vampire is just straight up moronic and ruined the show for me. That and the severe amount of monologues became a super tired trick that lost all effect with me by the end.

If only I hadn't seen that final episode, that show could've become one of my favorites.

Farscape.

While I wouldn't say the show was ruined for me, it felt anti-climactic and random. It was just a "Our show got cancelled, so this" type ending.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

The 3 that immediately come to mind are Dexter, The Sopranos, and How I Met Your Mother

G2ThaUNiT said:

The 3 that immediately come to mind are Dexter, The Sopranos, and How I Met Your Mother

How I Met Your Mother's ending was so bad. It really undermined the point of the later seasons to me. The writers wrote the ending during season 2, which didn't fit by the time Season 9 came out.

Last edited by badskywalker - on 30 June 2024

Around the Network

Game Of Thrones I guess. Although it started before the final episode.

Also Orange Is The New Black. What a shitty and rushed last season.

American Horror story's original season one arc ruined in the last season of the show. Peaky Blinders last season (marred but not ruined). Game of thrones obviously.

Killing Eve.

Fucking amazing show, but the last season was a catastrophic drop in quality and the ending just felt like "lol we have no idea how to conclude this but it has to end now so fuck it".

Jumpin said:

Farscape.

While I wouldn't say the show was ruined for me, it felt anti-climactic and random. It was just a "Our show got cancelled, so this" type ending.

There's a telemovie made after the last season that gives it a better sendoff.

I agree Game of Thrones and How I Met Your Mother are the posterchilds for this. But I’d also want to mention Lost and Ozark.

G2ThaUNiT said:

They made another Dexter series a couple years ago or so now, which kind of wraps up the bad ending on the main.

For me GoT was butchered, but that was because they wanted to move onto Star Wars (and I think they lost that job in the end anyway lol), and the books where not complete so they didn't have quality material to work with.