By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How far away are we from seeing games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spiderman 2018 on Switch/Switch 2?

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

Paper Mario can run at 60 fps on an overclocked Switch, lol

For *other* people who aren't shit posting, many Switch games see significant performance increases, lots of 60 fps games on existing Switch hardware. 

Nintendo wants people to buy these games again on Switch 2 at the higher settings, plain and simple. 

If you actually believe this why would you defend them lol, they gimp their hardware on purpose and are anti consumer if what you are saying is true lol. I guess that what confirms what i been telling you, they don't care about making a powerful system to the point they even cripple it for no reason. 

I just beat Link's Awakening for the 3rd time.  I'm saddened to know the sub 30 fps drops are intentional because Nintendo could easily lock it at 4k 60 fps but won't because they are assholes.  I never knew Nintendo was such a God awful anti consumer company.  

And to think this whole time I've praised them as being the best developer in gaming.  😞

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

If you actually believe this why would you defend them lol, they gimp their hardware on purpose and are anti consumer if what you are saying is true lol. I guess that what confirms what i been telling you, they don't care about making a powerful system to the point they even cripple it for no reason. 

I just beat Link's Awakening for the 3rd time.  I'm saddened to know the sub 30 fps drops are intentional because Nintendo could easily lock it at 4k 60 fps but won't because they are assholes.  I never knew Nintendo was such a God awful anti consumer company.  

And to think this whole time I've praised them as being the best developer in gaming.  😞

LOL take a stand and just use emulation, don't let them rip you off, soundwave has showed us the light.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

For free? Which Nintendo are you talking about? Was Wind Waker HD on Wii U a "free" upgrade for those who had the GameCube version? They likely will charge people a patch fee at least to get performance increases on Switch 2. 

At best maybe they will give it to you a "free patch" but you have to buy a Switch 2 to get that. Which is in itself 100% enough of a reason to not use that feature on the Switch if you don't need to. That gives another big reason for Switch 1 owners to have to upgrade to a Switch 2, if you want to enjoy those games in 4K/60 fps whatever, you have to buy a Switch 2. If they had gone ahead and released a Switch Pro it would have muddied that whole idea. 

The overclocked Mariko Switch has perfectly acceptable battery life of 3-4 hours too, it's been tested over and over again. This was good enough for the launch Switch, and it's perfectly acceptable battery life today. 

This is the reason i won't buy a switch cause i do believe what you are saying they are most anti consumer company and i expect switch to be gimped as well with 8nm and extremely under clocked c so nintendo can do the same in the future lol. it doesn't matter just count on Nintendo to release  weak official hardware like the switch. 

It's neither here nor there. 

COVID was a freak event that entirely changed the world and for Switch's product cycle, radically altered it. They probably figured to protect against a Wii-like 2nd half of the product cycle collapse they would need a Pro model, that was the initial plan circa 2017/2018. It just turned out by very random happenstance that it actually wasn't needed. 

Switch 2 is unlikely to have that same thing happen for it, so Switch 2 will have to likely have an actual Switch 2 Pro next time. You're not going to have an artificial massive boost for 2+ years with almost no major software released like the Switch did. Even the PS4/XB1 didn't really benefit much from COVID because it came too late in those product cycles, Switch was at the perfect age (only 3 years old) to make massive hay with it. It's like the difference between winning the lottery at age 30 instead of 75 ... at age 30 you can do a lot more with that windfall. 

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

This is the reason i won't buy a switch cause i do believe what you are saying they are most anti consumer company and i expect switch to be gimped as well with 8nm and extremely under clocked c so nintendo can do the same in the future lol. it doesn't matter just count on Nintendo to release  weak official hardware like the switch. 

COVID was a freak event that entirely changed the world and for Switch's product cycle, radically altered it. They probably figured to protect against a Wii-like 2nd half of the product cycle collapse they would need a Pro model, that was the initial plan circa 2017/2018. It just turned out by very random happenstance that it actually wasn't needed. 

Switch 2 is unlikely to have that same thing happen for it, so Switch 2 will have to likely have an actual Switch 2 Pro next time. You're not going to have an artificial massive boost for 2+ years with almost no major software released like the Switch did. Even the PS4/XB1 didn't really benefit much from COVID because it came too late in those product cycles, Switch was at the perfect age (only 3 years old) to make massive hay with it. It's like the difference between winning the lottery at age 30 instead of 75 ... at age 30 you can do a lot more with that windfall. 

Don't really care for excuses you make to defend your beloved company if the hardware was held back for no good reason which in reality wouldn't have made a difference, it's a shitty move by nintedno and really shows how crappy of a company they are.    

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

Don't really care for excuses you make to defend your beloved company if the hardware was held back for no good reason which in reality wouldn't have made a difference, it's a shitty move by nintedno and really shows how crappy of a company they are.    

There is a good reason, you just don't like it, but if you were running their business I doubt you would do any differently. 

A Switch Pro that allowed games to run at 60 fps and potentially even some games at 4K (and there is a video that shows definitely the Switch can run 4K games) would be a serious problem for the Switch 2 because then you'd have a bunch of stubborn people saying "well, I already have 4K and 60 fps on my Switch Pro, why should I buy a Switch 2". 

After Wii U and 3DS, that's the last headache Nintendo needs, Switch is a massive success but by the same token now the real work begins because repeating it becomes harder (ask Iwata). 

I would do the exact same thing if I was in Furukawa's shoes.

But for people who want the extra performance, hey it's there for you really, it's not some giant mystery how to overclock a Switch these days. You can get 60 fps and even higher resolution in a bunch of games if you want it. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

There is a good reason, you just don't like it, but if you were running their business I doubt you would do any differently. 

A Switch Pro that allowed games to run at 60 fps and potentially even some games at 4K (and there is a video that shows definitely the Switch can run 4K games) would be a serious problem for the Switch 2 because then you'd have a bunch of stubborn people saying "well, I already have 4K and 60 fps on my Switch Pro, why should I buy a Switch 2". 

After Wii U and 3DS, that's the last headache Nintendo needs, Switch is a massive success but by the same token now the real work begins because repeating it becomes harder (ask Iwata). 

But for people who want the extra performance, hey it's there for you really, it's not some giant mystery how to overclock a Switch these days. You can get 60 fps and even higher resolution in a bunch of games if you want it. 

The switches hardware is made for a specific power draw. Boosting clock speeds, even more so for the gpu, will boost power draw and while the chip may be able to handle it we don’t know if the rest of the components in the switch can. Granted Nintendo DID enable the “boost mode” thing for switch and that boost clocks speeds on the cpu and lowers them on the gpu. That means it can clock higher and Nintendo knows it BUT the fact that they underclock the gpu says a lot

I personally think your theory has no merit . ps4 pro is much closer to ps5 then mariko will ever be to switch 2 and the jump will be massive. nintendo woried about the petty things you describe to limit players from experiencing their games in much better quality makes no sense as there audience is not mainly about graphics.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 18 June 2024

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

The switches hardware is made for a specific power draw. Boosting clock speeds, even more so for the gpu, will boost power draw and while the chip may be able to handle it we don’t know if the rest of the components in the switch can. Granted Nintendo DID enable the “boost mode” thing for switch and that boost clocks speeds on the cpu and lowers them on the gpu. That means it can clock higher and Nintendo knows it BUT the fact that they underclock the gpu says a lot

The Mariko (which is basically every Switch from August 2019 onwards) can easily overclock, the thing barely even gets warm, and you can see that fan speed doesn't even go above 50%. My brother's is modded, he gets about 3-4 hours of battery life even at max clocks. I'm just waiting for a Switch 2 so I don't care about doing it, honestly I don't really mind playing at 30 fps anyway, sure 60 is better but it's not something I lie awake in bed at night over. 

They were clearly planning a 4K/Pro Switch model though, there's no way they added 4K output to the dock and even changed the chipset itself (to allow it to output 4K60 max), so they were going to do it. 

In a few years they will probably just admit it, same way they initially said nothing about a Game Boy Atlantis model (32-bit successor) but then admitted to it years after the fact. 

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

Paper Mario can run at 60 fps on an overclocked Switch, lol

For *other* people who aren't shit posting, many Switch games see significant performance increases, lots of 60 fps games on existing Switch hardware. 

Nintendo wants people to buy these games again on Switch 2 at the higher settings, plain and simple. 

So Nintendo isn't going to boost performance of Switch games on the S2 via BC?  Instead they will resell the same games and run them at better performance?  The better performance is something they could easily offer now, but are purposely preventing just to be awful to consumers?  

Jesus, you make Nintendo sound like a terrible company.  :(  

Sorry, I don't view Nintendo in the same light.  Nintendo is a damn good company and have their hardware designed for good reasons; battery and life span.

Feel free to have the last word.  I actually play games and would prefer to talk actual games, not your console warz.

Not trying to take sides here, but you're talking about the same company that charged you to "upgrade" Wii VC console games to Wii U VC, that charged you for the same games on the 3DS VC even if you have them on Wii or Wii U VC, that didn't give you any sort of discount or cross-save for games like Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS even though it can see your associated games and play history on your Nintendo account, and that didn't bother boosting the performance of old games on their successor consoles with backwards compatibility (DS>3DS, Wii>Wii U).

Prior to the Switch, even moving your account and associated games to a different unit was a laborious process that required calling Nintendo, giving a serial number or MAC address and damn near sacrificing the blood of a virgin lamb before it was willing to allow you that privilege. God forbid you have your original stolen or lost.

I love Nintendo too, but it ain't the most consumer-friendly company either.

Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

The Mariko (which is basically every Switch from August 2019 onwards) can easily overclock, the thing barely even gets warm, and you can see that fan speed doesn't even go above 50%. My brother's is modded, he gets about 3-4 hours of battery life even at max clocks. I'm just waiting for a Switch 2 so I don't care about doing it, honestly I don't really mind playing at 30 fps anyway, sure 60 is better but it's not something I lie awake in bed at night over. 

They were clearly planning a 4K/Pro Switch model though, there's no way they added 4K output to the dock and even changed the chipset itself (to allow it to output 4K60 max), so they were going to do it. 

In a few years they will probably just admit it, same way they initially said nothing about a Game Boy Atlantis model (32-bit successor) but then admitted to it years after the fact. 

Dude your theory is easily debunked most of Nintendo best selling games are already 1080p/60fps. allowing to be over clocked wouldn't even give you 60fps in most games with out a mod but they could have easily helped with 3rd party games which no one is gonna buy third-party  remastersr on switch 2. The biggest benefit would have went to zelda locked at 30fps and with a 1080p image quality, that's it. you make it these theories with out even properly thinking about it. 

burninmylight said:
Chrkeller said:

So Nintendo isn't going to boost performance of Switch games on the S2 via BC?  Instead they will resell the same games and run them at better performance?  The better performance is something they could easily offer now, but are purposely preventing just to be awful to consumers?  

Jesus, you make Nintendo sound like a terrible company.  :(  

Sorry, I don't view Nintendo in the same light.  Nintendo is a damn good company and have their hardware designed for good reasons; battery and life span.

Feel free to have the last word.  I actually play games and would prefer to talk actual games, not your console warz.

Not trying to take sides here, but you're talking about the same company that charged you to "upgrade" Wii VC console games to Wii U VC, that charged you for the same games on the 3DS VC even if you have them on Wii or Wii U VC, that didn't give you any sort of discount or cross-save for games like Smash Bros. on Wii U and 3DS even though it can see your associated games and play history on your Nintendo account, and that didn't bother boosting the performance of old games on their successor consoles with backwards compatibility (DS>3DS, Wii>Wii U).

Prior to the Switch, even moving your account and associated games to a different unit was a laborious process that required calling Nintendo, giving a serial number or MAC address and damn near sacrificing the blood of a virgin lamb before it was willing to allow you that privilege. God forbid you have your original stolen or lost.

I love Nintendo too, but it ain't the most consumer-friendly company either.

Yep *at best* they will give you "free" 4K/60 fps patches to games, the "cost" being "hey you have to buy a Switch 2". So in that case it's a significant sales pitch to get Switch 1 owners to come over.  

But even that I doubt. I think you will at least have to pay per game for a 4K/60 patch. They stand to make a fortune selling those for $5-15 a pop. 

Worst case would be if they just straight up make you buy the games entirely again to get 4K/60, which they could entirely get away with. Lots of people will pay again for like 4K Zelda: BOTW/TOTK and Mario Kart 8 and Odyssey etc. etc. etc. Not much doubt about it.