By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 59.3 Million Units as of March 2024

Link to the VGChartz article here.

PS5 Ships 59.3 Million Units as of March 2024

Sony Interactive Entertainment in its financial results announced it has shipped 59.3 million PlayStation 5 consoles as of March 31, 2024.

With 59.3 million PlayStation 5 consoles shipped through the end of December that means 4.5 million units were shipped from January to March. This is down 1.8 million from the same quarter in 2023.

For reference, the PlayStation 4 had shipped 2.9 million units in the same quarter for a lifetime total of 60.2 million units shipped as of March 31, 2017. This puts the PS5 behind shipped PS4 units by 0.9 million units.

There were a total of 72.6 million games sold on the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 for the quarter. This is up 4.6 million from 68.0 million during the same period a year earlier. Digital sales accounted for 77 percent of software sales.

There were 12.3 million first-party games sold across the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4. This is up 2.8 million from 9.5 million a year ago.

There were 118 million monthly active users on the PlayStation Network, an increase of 10 million from 108 million a year ago. Sony did not disclose the number of PlayStation Plus subscribers. It was at 47.4 million at the end of March 2023.

Sony shipped 20.8 million PS5s during the fiscal year, which ended March 31, 2024. This is up 1.7 million from 19.1 million units shipped the previous fiscal year.

For the current fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2025, Sony has forecasted it will ship 18 million PS5 consoles. This would bring lifetime shipment figures to 77.3 million. This is also one million less than the 19 million PS4 consoles Sony shipped for the equivalent fiscal year.

Sony's Game & Network Services Segment for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024, reported revenue increased 623.1 billion yen ($3.98 billion) year-over-year to 4,267.7 billion yen ($27.27 billion), while operating income increased 40.2 billion yen ($0.26 billion) to 290.2 billion yen ($1.85 billion).

Sony is expecting a decrease in PlayStation revenue due to a drop in hardware sales, which will partially be offset by an increase in third-party sales and DLC.

"Sales are expected to decrease mainly due to an expected decrease in sales of hardware resulting from lower unit sales, partially offset by an expected increase in sales of non-first-party titles including add-on content," reads the report from Sony.

"Operating income and Adjusted OIBDA are expected to increase mainly due to a decrease in losses from hardware resulting from the above-mentioned expected lower unit sales and the impact of an expected increase in Network Services sales, primarily from PlayStation Plus, partially offset by the impact of an expected decrease in sales of first-party titles."

Last edited by trunkswd - on 14 May 2024

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

very high proportion of digital sales almost 80%, physical media is really dying

Hardware shipments are down 1.8 million year over year for the quarter, however for the entire fiscal year hardware shipments are 1.8 million up..

PS5 Versus PS4

For the 4th quarter of the 3rd full fiscal year (yellow) the 4.5 million the PS5 shipped is 1.6 million up on PS4's 2.9 million and after 14 quarters the PS5 totals 59.3 million compared to 60.2 million for the PS4. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 0.9 million behind PS4.

PS5 versus current competitors

After 14 quarters the PS5 totals 59.3 million compared to 29.6 million (est) for XBS and 61.44 million for NSW. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 29.7 million (est) ahead of the XBS and 2.14 million behind the NSW.

Note: XBS hardware shipments are my personal estimates based on the limited information available.
Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 14 May 2024

I wonder how the ps5 sales will be this year

Playstation 5's Shipments of 20.9 million for FY3 are very high, Only Switch, PS2 and DS were higher and they were sold at a much cheaper price.

Note: PSV, XBO and XBS shipments are my estimates based on limited data.
Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 16 May 2024

Around the Network
pavel1995 said:

Sony forecast 18 million PS5's shipped for the current fiscal year, i think it will be close but i expect them to reach this forecast.

ShadowLink93 said:
pavel1995 said:

Sony forecast 18 million PS5's shipped for the current fiscal year, i think it will be close but i expect them to reach this forecast.

If they achieved this prediction how would the ps5 do in relation to the ps4?

jvmkdg said:
ShadowLink93 said:

If they achieved this prediction how would the ps5 do in relation to the ps4?

Fall a bit further behind, launch alligned PS4 will be selling 19 million this fiscal year. At this point PS5 losing to PS4 is definitely not off the table, will most likely be a close battle.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Of course Sony expected more but personally that's not bad considering they had a rough start the first few years with the pandemic shortages so glad its picking back up.

Release the Pro (and possibly slim) at a reasonable price with a new "sleek" design that nobody will hate, and it should do very well.

Soo ps5 is undertrack here?

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil