By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft has closed down multiple Bethesda studios, including: Tango, Arkane Austin, etc

Tagged games:

LurkerJ said:

MS is doing MS things, nothing to see here outside of guessing which studios will get axed next.

Not only Bethesda and Bungie have underperformed and released subpar content since they were bought, but they're also working on less games. More mergers please.

Ninja theory must be wondering how they can ever live up to the unrealistic expectations they're faced with now, boost profit margins with a $49 game that was announced 5 years ago by releasing on platforms through which absolutely no one has to buy their game because of Gamepass.... while also boosting Gamepass growth when even a game the size of Diablo 4 couldn't.

Bet you, they are fighting to get "their game" on playstation/pc as well :p

Supposedly its one of those in consideration at xbox.
You might actually get to see senua's saga on playstation.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-verge-ms-considering-game-pass-ultimate-price-increase-whether-to-launch-new-call-of-duty-on-gp-if-to-port-hellblade-2-to-ps5.865632/

Theres a thread about it on resetera.
Call of Duty on gp, is still up in the air.... if it happends, its likely a price increase will follow for gp.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
LurkerJ said:

MS is doing MS things, nothing to see here outside of guessing which studios will get axed next.

Not only Bethesda and Bungie have underperformed and released subpar content since they were bought, but they're also working on less games. More mergers please.

Ninja theory must be wondering how they can ever live up to the unrealistic expectations they're faced with now, boost profit margins with a $49 game that was announced 5 years ago by releasing on platforms through which absolutely no one has to buy their game because of Gamepass.... while also boosting Gamepass growth when even a game the size of Diablo 4 couldn't.

Bet you, they are fighting to get "their game" on playstation/pc as well :p

Supposedly its one of those in consideration at xbox.
You might actually get to see senua's saga on playstation.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-verge-ms-considering-game-pass-ultimate-price-increase-whether-to-launch-new-call-of-duty-on-gp-if-to-port-hellblade-2-to-ps5.865632/

Theres a thread about it on resetera.
Call of Duty on gp, is still up in the air.... if it happends, its likely a price increase will follow for gp.

Hellblade 2 will be on PS and GP price will increase, no question. I only wonder if they're smart enough to port HB2 to Switch 1/2. 

CoD best chance at expanding its market is the Switch 2. I doubt anyone at MS, who's actually running the show at the moment, wants CoD on GP day 1, but that's a trickier situation to navigate. 

Bethesda will not sit on potential Starfield profits when their next big game is 5 years away, unless they want the axe to hit them again. Expect news about the PS5 port sooner than later. 

Hiku said:

I haven't played it yet, but the plot of Hi-Fi Rush is ironic.

It's a Devil May Cry game with more rhythmic based combat. Fantastic game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Very interesting. Thousands of Xbox fans are currently selling their Xbox. Even popular Xbox fans (since the Xbox1 days) have been posting pictures on Insta/Twitter of how they bought a PlayStation 5 today. And in the last few hours, numerous fans have called for a Gamepass boycott, also on officiall xbox-sites. I am impressed. The rich microsoft only understands this one language.

by the way: Bloomberg's Jason Schreier is now reporting that Xbox is planning more cuts and is "offering voluntary severance agreements to producers, quality assurance testers and other staff at ZeniMax," according to people familiar with Microsoft's plans. Several other across the Xbox division at Microsoft have been told more cuts are coming.

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 09 May 2024

EpicRandy said:
Kyuu said:

Software sales notably expanded when PC is taken into account which both MS and Sony now support. AA and AAA games cost more now to develop, but prices have also increased especially in Europe, and Sony games are retaining their prices much better than a few years back without selling less. Can you refer me to where it was shown that SM2 needs to sell 10 million to break even? Last I heard, the game cost $300 million (does the figure not include marketing?). Should generate profit at 5 million give or take.

But more importantly, why do all games have to be some highend AAA anyway? Low-mid budget AAA don't cost nearly as much as SM2, and AA cost even less. Helldivers 2 is considered AA and it "only" cost $50 million to make. Nintendo is killing it with medium budget games. And a crap load of indies, A, and AA games are more successful than anything AAA from Microsoft. Microsoft's own Sea of Thieves (not to mention Minecraft lol) is probably a lot more successful than the bigger Halo Infinite.

Higher development costs are more than cancelled out by games simply selling a lot more and averaging at higher prices in many cases. Availability on PC also greatly helps.

Can you refer me to where it was shown that SM2 needs to sell 10 million to break even?

Spiderman 2 was expected, prior to launch, to sell 10.5m copies and generate $75m in profits over a $315m budget. Now that's not bad and it's also conservative estimate but it's also one of, if not the most sure bet franchise Sony own.  

Wow. I suppose a rather large percentage of the revenue from each copy sold goes to Disney. And Sony is okay with that coz Insomniac doesn't have a really big IP of their own (they could use Uncharted though). It wouldn't surprise me if the next Insomniac Spider-Man game goes multiplatform like MLB did (But isn't it weird that MLB isn't on PC yet? I still don't understand this industry!).

Around the Network
Hiku said:

I haven't played it yet, but the plot of Hi-Fi Rush is ironic.

This is so incredibly accurate it's both sad and hilarious.

Especially the "open the cafe part", when you read Matt's recent post on twitter about wanting more games like Hi-Fi. The devs nailed the tone deafness and predicted the future with a single stone. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 09 May 2024

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

zorg1000 said:
Evilms said:

Did Nintendo close down Sora? I could be remembering wrong but I thought that was Sakurai’s decision.

Project Sora was a temporary studio to make Kid Icarus Uprising for a 3DS launchgame. After launch the studio disbanded again and the team went back to where they came from (Bandai, Nintendo and Sakurai as freelance director). Sora is also the name of Sakurai's company employing himself and his wife. Obviously after Kid Icarus Uprising he continued freelancing on Smash Brothers again.

As far as I know, Team Tokyo was a similar situation to make the first Mother title (Earthbound beginnings).

While Microsoft definitely finalized the Bethesda buyout, there haven't been any major headlines about studio closures like Tango Gameworks or Arkane Austin. That said, the gaming world moves fast, and things can change down the line.

For the latest scoop on studio changes within Bethesda or any other gaming company, your best bet is to check recent gaming news articles or official announcements from Microsoft or Bethesda themselves.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/248171/microsoft-has-closed-down-multiple-bethesda-studios-including-tango-arkane-austin-etc/1/#10

Well this is what happens when you adopt a subscription services and spend over 70billion acquiring mulitplat developers. You lose out on a number of games in the end , but it's good for those on a budget I suppose.

Geez😳, No one cares about Arkane Austin.