By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft has closed down multiple Bethesda studios, including: Tango, Arkane Austin, etc

Tagged games:

Shikamo said:
Signalstar said:

MS deserve their struggles in Japan if they are willing to close their lone Japanese studio.

I plan on buying Hi-Fi Rush on PS5. Shame it won't help Tango.

I finished Hi-Fi Rush via Gamepass and I plan to buy on Steam too, so I really recommend to you.

Well, I got Hi-fi rush on Steam today, maybe I'll finish again soon.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network
Hiku said:
Geralt99 said:

World's richest Company that Spent nealry 90 billion on acquisitions can't afford to have four AA studios running. Pathetic

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

Xbox Studio Closures: Microsoft Plans More Cost-Cutting Measures After Layoffs - Bloomberg

"Tango was in the process of pitching a Hi-Fi Rush sequel, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing nonpublic information."

"Matt Booty praised Hi-Fi Rush but did not specify why the company had shut down the development studio behind it"

"Booty added that the shutdown of subsidiary Arkane Austin, the longtime developer of games such as Prey, was not connected to the performance of its new multiplayer game, Redfall"

"Both Tango and Arkane released games last year and were looking to hire additional staff as they pitched new projects, which Booty and Braff suggested was the main factor behind their closures."

With all the information that has came out this has Satya written all over it. I know he's the one that wanted this and probably saw the numbers. Even if those numbers were still in the green (profitable) it wasn't the type of green he wanted. I think Phil and Satya have differing views, but of course Satya gets to decide everything. I know everyone wants to blame Phil and Sarah, but I feel like this was all Satya.

zorg1000 said:
Evilms said:

Did Nintendo close down Sora? I could be remembering wrong but I thought that was Sakurai’s decision.

It was. I think it was created just to make a couple contracted games and once they were done the studio closed.

Last edited by Leynos - on 08 May 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

It's quite easy to think at this point of a future where Xbox Game Studios is being only comprised of 4-5 big sure fire AAA franchises while the rest of their IP's lay dormant or are rarely visited due the paradigm shift at Xbox top management.

Certainly not good for the industry at large of course, but the move Microsoft would most likely make at this point.

Also, it does vindicate a lot of the earlier discussions done on the sustainability of Gamepass that were done a lot during the time of ABK acquisitions.
This isn't working as Phil Spencer wanted, or at least fast enough for Microsoft's taste.

Now they've actually got their hands on a bigger fish than their own internal studios themselves arguably, so it goes to say, priorities will most likely shift around again. That recent business update might as well be "updated" again in a few months at this rate

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I haven't played it yet, but the plot of Hi-Fi Rush is ironic.

Last edited by Hiku - on 09 May 2024

Hiku said:

Xbox Studio Closures: Microsoft Plans More Cost-Cutting Measures After Layoffs - Bloomberg

"Tango was in the process of pitching a Hi-Fi Rush sequel, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing nonpublic information."

"Matt Booty praised Hi-Fi Rush but did not specify why the company had shut down the development studio behind it"

"Booty added that the shutdown of subsidiary Arkane Austin, the longtime developer of games such as Prey, was not connected to the performance of its new multiplayer game, Redfall"

"Both Tango and Arkane released games last year and were looking to hire additional staff as they pitched new projects, which Booty and Braff suggested was the main factor behind their closures."

So they wanted to make a bigger and better, Hi-Fi Rush Sequel.... and apparently that was like a "nope!" and a "your all fired" instead.

JRPGfan said:
Hiku said:

So they wanted to make a bigger and better, Hi-Fi Rush Sequel.... and apparently that was like a "nope!" and a "your all fired" instead.

Jason Schreier clarified that they had decided to close several studios, and they prioritized ones that were currently not working on any new games.

It's been reported that they plan to close down more studios, so the only reason they haven't announced those yet is likely because they are currently working on an unreleased game.
As soon as the games are done, it's adios.

Unless they backtrack on closing more studios in 2024 after all the backlash.

Last edited by Hiku - on 09 May 2024

MS is doing MS things, nothing to see here outside of guessing which studios will get axed next.

Not only Bethesda and Bungie have underperformed and released subpar content since they were bought, but they're also working on less games. More mergers please.

Ninja theory must be wondering how they can ever live up to the unrealistic expectations they're faced with now, boost profit margins with a $49 game that was announced 5 years ago by releasing on platforms through which absolutely no one has to buy their game because of Gamepass.... while also boosting Gamepass growth when even a game the size of Diablo 4 couldn't.