By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - FF7 Rebirth has reportedly sold half what Remake did in the same timeframe

Procedural generation and task automation and machine learning in game development is nothing new, and yet that didn't stop game development costs from balooning.

Can large language models with enough parameters turn that around? That's anyone's guess, but a likely scenario is offshoring to developers in cheaper countries that are able to use these tools to compensate for shortcomings in their technical and language knowledge.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

I find it funny that some people already decided that MH Wilds looks like shit based on a short and early teaser.

It doesn't look like shit, not at all, it just doesn't look like the kind of cutting edge marvel that would be impossible to bring to a modern hybrid device, given that we saw games like Witcher 3 brought to the current Switch.

curl-6 said:
Kyuu said:

I find it funny that some people already decided that MH Wilds looks like shit based on a short and early teaser.

It doesn't look like shit, not at all, it just doesn't look like the kind of cutting edge marvel that would be impossible to bring to a modern hybrid device, given that we saw games like Witcher 3 brought to the current Switch.

It doesn't really look mind blowing graphically but it does look like it will pushing the cpu heavy like dragon dogma 2 and capcom doesn't seem to really down grade games to make them work on weaker consoles but well see.

curl-6 said:
Kyuu said:

It looks like a PS4 game with a bit more scope. Which is fine ... but for a next-gen upgrade to a sequel of a game that sold like 20+ million copies it is a bit .... woof if you were hoping for a large leap in visuals. Those low poly trees and bush/grass patches are something. Flat lighting galore. 

But I think this is going to be the norm for most Japanese 3rd party games going forward ... PS4 tier graphics with some extra bells and whistles.  

They don't want to go beyond what I think is a set budget limit for any game, probably $120 million-ish range is the roof even for Capcom per project. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 16 May 2024

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

It doesn't really look mind blowing graphically but it does look like it will pushing the cpu heavy like dragon dogma 2 and capcom doesn't seem to really down grade games to make them work on weaker consoles but well see.

The same Capcom that just released Resident Evil Village and RE4 on iPhone and iPads? lol. Capcom is a port whore, their new president is also spouting off about all games needing to be on all platforms and needing growth, growth, growth and games budgets are too high and games need to be more expensive. These same kinds of suits are being put in charge of all these companies.

Monster Hunter Rise sold what? Almost 8 million copies on the Switch alone? That's a massive audience for MH, that's basically about the same as World sold on PS4. There's a pretty good chance Monster Hunter Wilds (6) would match/exceed that on Switch 2. Lets face it, they probably could not say no to that much money and developed the game accordingly so it could launch on PS5 + Switch 2 + other platforms. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 16 May 2024

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
zeldaring said:

The same Capcom that just released Resident Evil Village and RE4 on iPhone and iPads? lol. Capcom is a port whore, their new president is also spouting off about all games needing to be on all platforms and needing growth, growth, growth and games budgets are too high and games need to be more expensive. These same kinds of suits are being put in charge of all these companies.

Monster Hunter Rise sold what? Almost 8 million copies on the Switch alone? That's a massive audience for MH, that's basically about the same as World sold on PS4. There's a pretty good chance Monster Hunter Wilds (6) would match/exceed that on Switch 2. Lets face it, they probably could not say no to that much money and developed the game accordingly so it could launch on PS5 + Switch 2 + other platforms. 

Resident evil village and Resident evil 4 are ps4 games and not open world, and those games were a pretty bad showing for iphone and iPad with how low the settings were.Even ps5 struggles with dragon dogma2 like I said it depends how ambitious the Wilds is and it looks like to me that it will be very ambitious 

Someday Square will tell the truth and it will be something like this:
-Square makes exclusives for Sony basically because Sony pays them. The day Sony can't or won't pay enough, then Square stops making exclusives for Sony.
-Of course Square does not recognize this.. Instead, he tells us that “we are concerned that players on other platforms are missing out on the pleasure of playing our games and that is why we will no longer make exclusives.”
-Square will make games that require Play4-type power because with that there is enough to create great games, they maximize the platforms where they can sell their games, and also reduce development expenses.

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

Resident evil village and Resident evil 4 are ps4 games and not open world, and those games were a pretty bad showing for iphone and iPad with how low the settings were.Even ps5 struggles with dragon dogma2 like I said it depends how ambitious the Wilds is and it looks like to me that it will be very ambitious 

Dragon Dogma 2 is just poorly optimized, the Monster Hunter teams are completely different from that team and most of those folks started off making MH games on the PSP or 3DS, so they're not going to have an issue with Switch 2. 

Wilds looks extremely mediocre visually if you really want to put it against high end, there are better looking PS4 games. 

8 million copies of Monster Hunter Rise sealed the deal, people don't understand 8 million copies is a shit ton of money. 8 million x 25 dollar take home cut after licensing fees/retail/etc. is like 200 million dollars. If a company like even Rockstar could some how sell 8 million copies of GTAVI on Dreamcast, they'd make a Dreamcast version, no matter what they had to do to get the game running on the system, lol. That's too much money to turn down. 

I think that's all that's going on here, no big mystery, MH Wilds is designed so that Capcom can put it on the Switch 2 because they know they will sell millions more by doing that and that's the end of discussion on that. Business comes first. Rise on Switch sold basically the same amount as World on PS4 ... so there is no singular lead console for MH, both PS4 and Switch have a claim to it, so the easy solution is just to make yourself more money and release the next main line game on both of those systems. 

Wilds should have a good chance at topping Monster Hunter World in sales because Switch 2 will bring several million extra sales to the table especially from Japan where people like to play MH portably going back to the days of the PSP. Sure as heck beats the freaking XBox as your secondary console, XBox isn't doing shit for Capcom. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 17 May 2024

zeldaring said:
Soundwave said:

You must be mistaken.  Apple uses that super fast ram that is game changing, just like the S2.  RE4 must run amazing apple products.  Apple products even has magic upscaling that fixes everything.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

You must be mistaken.  Apple uses that super fast ram that is game changing, just like the S2.  RE4 must run amazing apple products.  Apple products even has magic upscaling that fixes everything.  

RE4 runs great on an iPad actually. It's a little tighter on an iPhone but that has nothing to do with RAM, the iPhone is a smaller than Switch Lite product than has no active cooling available to it, that's the bigger issue, but iPhone's get better performance every year the fact that they're already running games like that bodes well for the iPhones to come. They're not going to stop making iPhones any time soon, they'll stop making game consoles long before the iPhone is going anywhere, iPhone is frankly a lot more important to the world of computing and more people's daily lives than any game console will ever be.