By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Fallout: Season 1

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/fallout/

"A bright and funny apocalypse filled with dark punchlines and bursts of ultra-violence, Fallout stands up there with The Last of Us among the best game adaptations ever made. Brilliantly constructed, its three distinct leads travel through cleverly linked storylines that build to a fantastic finale. Along the way, there’s a megaton of treats for long-term fans thanks to immaculate production design and attention to detail, but never at the expense of making this an ideal starting point for the uninitiated. It’s another special effort from Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, and easily earns a big thumbs up."

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/460560/fallout-tv-series-renewed-for-second-season/

Tally up another success story! Looking forward to watching it this weekend.

Are you tuning in? What did you think?

Around the Network

Will start it tomorrow, the bastards are releasing it 2am here.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 10 April 2024

Prime exclusive... Nvm.

I don't expect much, since this is made without any input from original creators, and is based on Bethesda's Fallout, and I don't like Bethesda's (mis)interpretation of Fallout, but I'll give it a shot.

Well, watched the first episode, with my wife who knows noting about Fallout.
Yeah, this definitely seems like Bethesda's Fallout made into TV show. Hence, not for me.
My wife just shrugged after the episode and showed no interest in watching more of it.

Around the Network

I've only got two episodes left, I'm loving it.

Sidenote, I would really love an Elder Scrolls animated show.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 12 April 2024

I'm going to watch it this weekend. So far, the acting and the attention to detail have gotten a lot of praise. I have zero faith in Amazon but I'm hopeful the other parties involved had enough input to steer it in a good direction.

Since the other thread was closed, I'm just going to repeat what I said there:

Tim Cain, the creator of the first Fallout, was invited to the premiere (first two episodes) in Hollywood and said he loved it. I look forward to the "I hate Bethesda Fallout" crowd being extra salty about that.

He also took a picture with Tod Howard and asked fans of the first game to stop being so obnoxious online.

pokoko said:

I'm going to watch it this weekend. So far, the acting and the attention to detail have gotten a lot of praise. I have zero faith in Amazon but I'm hopeful the other parties involved had enough input to steer it in a good direction.

Watch more of their good shows

Invincible, The Boys, Good Omens, The Expanse, Gen V, Upload, The Legend of Vox Machina.

All great Amazon Prime Originals, it all depends on the showrunners, directors and writers in the end.

It's funny Amazon cancelled Jonathan Nolan's other show though, Lol.

pokoko said:

Since the other thread was closed, I'm just going to repeat what I said there:

Tim Cain, the creator of the first Fallout, was invited to the premiere (first two episodes) in Hollywood and said he loved it. I look forward to the "I hate Bethesda Fallout" crowd being extra salty about that.

He also took a picture with Tod Howard and asked fans of the first game to stop being so obnoxious online.

Yeah, I watched his video after I watched the episode. Tim Cain is a wise old man - I tend to meet some people of his level, albeit from movie/TV industry in my line of work, and you'll rarely hear them saying bad things, at least publicly.
I don't doubt he liked a lot of the aspects of the show (since there are good ones) and focused on those, though he said himself he has to watch it again, since he missed some story beats by not paying attention to what was going on in dialogue and watching production design of scenes.

That said, there will always be a divide between original Fallout and Bethesda's Fallout fans - Obsidian showed Bethesda how it can be done and honor the originals (to a degree) with NV, but they just didn't care.

I'm hoping to see what Leonard Boyarsky has to say about the show, as an architect of visual style of original Fallout universe, since, at least according to Tim Cain, he was not that kind after the trailer.

Just managed to watch the first episode and I enjoyed it. Solid 7, maybe 8/10.

One thing I really like is that there are three main characters, instead of there just being a singular focus on the (former) vault dweller. I also like all three of those characters so far, and the decision to put one of them in a supporting role to a Power Armor knight who we haven't seen outside of the suit yet (I hope both things remain true, but there seems to be a sense of inevitability that we'll see who's in the armor and that Maximus will eventually get in the suit himself). It also looks great - much better than the still images had led me to expect - and I've enjoyed most of the references to the lore.

I've seen some reviews for that first episode criticise the sheer amount of lore, and especially the Brotherhood v Enclave stuff, but I enjoyed most of that. Though I did find some of the cuts to be very abrupt and weirdly sequenced; the Brotherhood stuff should have come after Lucy first leaves the vault, for example, so that that was our first view of the outside.

The mix of brutal violence and quirky comedy works for me. I'm guessing the excessive use of slow-mo was to make the combat easier to shoot while also being a kind of homage to the VATS system, but I'm not sure I'll want that to become the norm for the series though.

In terms of negatives, I dislike almost all of the supporting characters so far - some very weird secondary casting decisions imo. The Brother who conducts the interrogation of Maximus and the Power Armor knight who barely speaks are the only two I like in episode 1.

My other main negative is the whole Raiders-invading-the-vault angle and the sheer amount of stupid decisions made by everyone throughout the battle and plot holes it created. A better way to have done that would've been for the vault dwellers to have caught on earlier and barricaded themselves in part of the vault, after having suffered the same number of casualties they did in the original script. Instead they went with this open battle sequence where somehow the vault dwellers aren't completely wiped out, despite being taken by surprise and being completely out-equipped and losing control of the armory. Then the Raider leader takes the Overseer hostage, but lets everyone they've captured go free and live (despite telling the Overseer to choose who dies, and despite indiscriminately slaughtering everyone they could find just minutes prior), after setting off a bomb intended to do... whatever. I dunno, all of that just struck me as shit and lazy writing all round.

Last edited by Machina - on 14 April 2024