By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Fallout: Season 1

I’ve only played Fallout Shelter, but I think I own all the games somewhere in my steam library of discounted games I’ll likely never play. The show seems to capture the atmosphere of it all quite well.

It’s a dark comedy adventure that reminds me of a cross between Westworld, The 100, and Pleasantville.

My instinct was to draw comparisons to The Last of Us. But despite the post-apocalyptic backdrop, these are very different kinds of shows. One is a drama and relatable characters, the other a dark comedy with little to no drama and characters are mostly products of their setting. So, they’re almost incomparable.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Finished.

It was awesome, I loved it, it ranks up there as one of my favourite videogame adaptations alongside The Last of Us and Arcane. The tone, the aesthetics, the set design, the music, it all captured Fallout perfectly and showed genuine care by the creatives in charge, it had a good amount of humour, it was a lot more violent than I expected (in a good way) and the finale was amazing, it had great twists and turns.

Ella Purnell was perfect as Lucy, she set the whole tone so well and perfectly captured a naïve vault dweller, slowly transitioning into a surface badass. Brilliant actress, I'd be shocked if she hasn't played any of the games because she did so well in the role. Walton Goggins as The Ghoul too...The Ghoul was fucking amazing, a bit of a dick (Lol) but can't help loving his character, he steals the scenes he is in and turns everything up to 11. The cast overall was very strong, I was interested in what was happening with the minor cast members even.

Matt Berry as Mister Handy, Lmao. Matt Berry needs to be Mister Handy in the games, sorry, his voice is just perfect in everything.

Can't wait for Season 2.

Spoiler!
Golden Rule, Motherfucker.
Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 April 2024

Ryuu96 said:

Watch more of their good shows

Invincible, The Boys, Good Omens, The Expanse, Gen V, Upload, The Legend of Vox Machina.

All great Amazon Prime Originals, it all depends on the showrunners, directors and writers in the end.

It's funny Amazon cancelled Jonathan Nolan's other show though, Lol.

I watched The Boys up until I felt it was getting kind of slow and preachy in season 2.  Also, Amazon's X-ray commentary started talking about Homelander's "white male privilege" which was absolutely ridiculous and took me right out of the show.  I tried Gen V but quit halfway through the first episode because all the characters talked about was social media.  I might try Good Omens but I've been putting it off because I loved the book and it seems quite a bit different.

HoloDust said:

Yeah, I watched his video after I watched the episode. Tim Cain is a wise old man - I tend to meet some people of his level, albeit from movie/TV industry in my line of work, and you'll rarely hear them saying bad things, at least publicly.
I don't doubt he liked a lot of the aspects of the show (since there are good ones) and focused on those, though he said himself he has to watch it again, since he missed some story beats by not paying attention to what was going on in dialogue and watching production design of scenes.

That said, there will always be a divide between original Fallout and Bethesda's Fallout fans - Obsidian showed Bethesda how it can be done and honor the originals (to a degree) with NV, but they just didn't care.

I'm hoping to see what Leonard Boyarsky has to say about the show, as an architect of visual style of original Fallout universe, since, at least according to Tim Cain, he was not that kind after the trailer.

He seemed pretty honest with his impressions, I thought.  My guess is that he knows it's just a video game IP, not some kind of immutable sacred cow that people should be harassing others over decades later.  But, that aside, if people would rather be eternally bitter instead of playing some really fun games, more power to them.

Machina said:

Just managed to watch the first episode and I enjoyed it. Solid 7, maybe 8/10.

One thing I really like is that there are three main characters, instead of there just being a singular focus on the (former) vault dweller. I also like all three of those characters so far, and the decision to put one of them in a supporting role to a Power Armor knight who we haven't seen outside of the suit yet (I hope both things remain true, but there seems to be a sense of inevitability that we'll see who's in the armor and that Maximus will eventually get in the suit himself). It also looks great - much better than the still images had led me to expect - and I've enjoyed most of the references to the lore.

I've seen some reviews for that first episode criticise the sheer amount of lore, and especially the Brotherhood v Enclave stuff, but I enjoyed most of that. Though I did find some of the cuts to be very abrupt and weirdly sequenced; the Brotherhood stuff should have come after Lucy first leaves the vault, for example, so that that was our first view of the outside.

The mix of brutal violence and quirky comedy works for me. I'm guessing the excessive use of slow-mo was to make the combat easier to shoot while also being a kind of homage to the VATS system, but I'm not sure I'll want that to become the norm for the series though.

In terms of negatives, I dislike almost all of the supporting characters so far - some very weird secondary casting decisions imo. The Brother who conducts the interrogation of Maximus and the Power Armor knight who barely speaks are the only two I like in episode 1.

My other main negative is the whole Raiders-invading-the-vault angle and the sheer amount of stupid decisions made by everyone throughout the battle and plot holes it created. A better way to have done that would've been for the vault dwellers to have caught on earlier and barricaded themselves in part of the vault, after having suffered the same number of casualties they did in the original script. Instead they went with this open battle sequence where somehow the vault dwellers aren't completely wiped out, despite being taken by surprise and being completely out-equipped and losing control of the armory. Then the Raider leader takes the Overseer hostage, but lets everyone they've captured go free and live (despite telling the Overseer to choose who dies, and despite indiscriminately slaughtering everyone they could find just minutes prior), after setting off a bomb intended to do... whatever. I dunno, all of that just struck me as shit and lazy writing all round.

EPISODE 1 SPOILERS (kind of, I guess) ---

The stand-off with the Overseer and the Raiders made zero sense and is probably the worst written sequence I've encountered after watching four episodes.  I eventually realized that the Raiders were just there to capture the Overseer, which is why I assume they didn't try to slaughter everyone and take over the vault, but the part with the hostages had me completely puzzled.  An actual raider would have killed them as soon as he surrendered--actually, why was that even necessary to begin with?  He was an old man, they could have simply taken him without a problem.  

The bomb, though, was to block the tunnel so they couldn't be followed, which I didn't even get until much later and they did a poor job of explaining at the time.

I don't like Maximus.  He seems very slow-witted and he makes a lot of dumb decisions.  On the other hand, Lucy's brother ends up being an interesting character.  There is definitely more going on in the Vaults, which of course would make sense given Vault-Tech's track record.

The Ghoul kind of reminds me of “The Man in Black” from Westworld mixed with Red Skull from Captain America. While Lucy reminds me a lot of Delores from Westworld mixed with the people of Pleasantville.

I’m familiar with Lucy’s actress, Ella Purnell, who is part of the ensemble for Yellowjackets - which is a fantastic show (another dark comedy; although, more dramatic/not dry). Also in the Yellowjackets ensemble are Melanie Lynskey, Christina Ricci, Elijah Wood, and Juliette Lewis. It involves cults, cannibalism, and coverups… that involve more murders.

Lucy's brother is great, I was ready for him to become the annoying character but I really like him. It's hilarious when he stands next to Lucy's cousin too, that height difference is crazy.

I also really love Thaddeus, Lol.

Around the Network

Well, after watching all episodes, I still stand by what I said already - this is Bethesda's (mis)interpretation of Fallout, not original vision of it.

It's not, per se, a bad show actually (especially if you're coming straight from something like that dreck that is "3 Body Problem"), but it's not that great either.

Jumpin said:

The Ghoul kind of reminds me of “The Man in Black” from Westworld mixed with Red Skull from Captain America. While Lucy reminds me a lot of Delores from Westworld mixed with the people of Pleasantville.

My only fear really is Nolan tends to get a bit carried away with trying to make everything too clever, Westworld started so strong with an incredible cast but by some point I didn't really know what the fuck was going on anymore, it got so confusing and the endings were weak. Nolan makes good shows but he needs someone to rein him in. Might not be a problem though, Nolan isn't the writer or showrunner of the show, he only directed a few episodes and Fallout is more straightforward than Westworld.

Ryuu96 said:
Jumpin said:

The Ghoul kind of reminds me of “The Man in Blackâ€Â from Westworld mixed with Red Skull from Captain America. While Lucy reminds me a lot of Delores from Westworld mixed with the people of Pleasantville.

My only fear really is Nolan tends to get a bit carried away with trying to make everything too clever, Westworld started so strong with an incredible cast but by some point I didn't really know what the fuck was going on anymore, it got so confusing and the endings were weak. Nolan makes good shows but he needs someone to rein him in. Might not be a problem though, Nolan isn't the writer or showrunner of the show, he only directed a few episodes and Fallout is more straightforward than Westworld.

Yeah, I’ve heard most people stopped liking Westworld during the second season - and IMO, that’s where the worst part happened (the Samurai stuff) which was just a really long way of saying “there’s more stuff here, and we reuse a lot of story.” as it didn’t really go anywhere else. Otherwise, I’m in that niche minority that enjoyed it (with a few exceptions) all the way through. Westworld did change shape each season, and grew in scope - and some of those changes weren’t popular; most people prefer consistency between seasons. I think most people agree on the greatness of the first season, though.

That said, just based on the fact that Fallout is a far lighter series than westworld, I’d say the story is going to be simplistic. It’s multi-threaded, but the storytelling is very basic/formulaic so far - and I don’t mean that as a criticism, as a lot of good shows and films have highly formulaic plots. I think complex storytelling works a lot better in books and videogames.

Jumpin said:
Ryuu96 said:

Yeah, I’ve heard most people stopped liking Westworld during the second season - and IMO, that’s where the worst part happened (the Samurai stuff) which was just a really long way of saying “there’s more stuff here, and we reuse a lot of story.” as it didn’t really go anywhere else. Otherwise, I’m in that niche minority that enjoyed it (with a few exceptions) all the way through. Westworld did change shape each season, and grew in scope - and some of those changes weren’t popular; most people prefer consistency between seasons. I think most people agree on the greatness of the first season, though.

That said, just based on the fact that Fallout is a far lighter series than westworld, I’d say the story is going to be simplistic. It’s multi-threaded, but the storytelling is very basic/formulaic so far - and I don’t mean that as a criticism, as a lot of good shows and films have highly formulaic plots. I think complex storytelling works a lot better in books and videogames.

I still watched all of Westworld and in some parts, I still really enjoyed it. Season 1 was amazing, I thought Season 2 was a stepdown but still a great show, it was Season 3 for me where I started getting confused and unsure what the hell was going on, Lol. Season 4 was a mixed bag and while it showed signs of greatness still, I hated the ending of Season 4, I also didn't like the ending of Season 3.

The casting, set design, production values were fantastic though and there's plenty of great ideas, I just feel he needs someone to hone him in a little. Fallout shares a great cast, a brilliant set design, it definitely has the care and attention to detail behind it and like you said, it's not a criticism, Fallout is a more simplistic series than Westworld so it'll be harder for him to go too complex again.

Plus he's only a producer on the show, occasionally a director.

The show has two showrunners, one of them played Fallout 1-2 and the other played Fallout 3-4 + New Vegas.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 April 2024

I loved season 3 of Westworld - it was my favourite part of the show on my recent rewatch; but yeah, that one and season 4 were exceedingly unpopular with the audience. To put Season 3 into an overall nutshell: After Paris was destroyed by a nuclear bomb, a powerful business man (from Paris) uses AI to simulate and predict the destiny of the world so that he can prevent such chaos from occurring; unfortunately, there are many outliers that prevent the model from being as predictable as he needs it to be, so he sees them sabotaged or assassinated. Meanwhile, Delores, who was a slave to this sort of control in Westworld, wants to free the world from the yoke of corporate control.

And while I did talk some trash about parts of season 2, I will say this about it: my two favourite single episodes were from that season.