By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New IP's Made Just for You?

I hate the term Boomer Shooter. Boomers were the ones trying to get Doom removed. WHy not call them Doomer Shooters?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:

I hate the term Boomer Shooter. Boomers were the ones trying to get Doom removed. WHy not call them Doomer Shooters?

I kinda like it myself. It's not so much "boomer" as in the baby boomer generation themselves, but more the implication of something being older plus "Boom" cos they're about loud, violent, explosive balls-to-the-wall action. To each their own I guess.

Leynos said:

I’ll always just use the term Arena Shooters lol

Unicorn Overlord most recently. A modern day SRPG inspired by Ogre Battle (rather than Tactics Ogre)? Hell, yeah. 

Over the past couple of generations, Valkyria Chronicles Ni no Kuni, and No Man's Sky come to mind. Despite its broken launch state, the concept behind NMS excited me because I was a huge fan of the 1986 space exploration RPG, Starflight, and felt we didn't see enough of those kinds of games.

The Wayward Realms - it is being made by lead developers of TES: Arena and TES: Daggerfall, and it is set to be RPG similar to them, but with some sort of simulation of world running behind the scenes, physics systems and some some sort of factions AI (if I understood all of it correctly).

Broken Roads is another RPG I'm looking forward to, that tries to combine old school CRPGs with something like Disco Elysium, all set in post apocalyptic Australia.

Around the Network

Nioh and Valkyria Chronicles. Both JRPGs, one is based on Japanese history, another is historically inspired by the great European wars.

I'm loving the influx of CRPGs these past few years, there's been a lot of bangers. ARPGs have also had an uptick, this year alone is stacked. One thing that really excited me lately was the "Little Devil Inside" trailer they just released; it has a very unique atmosphere and concept, from what I can tell, and the combat looks like great fun.

Overall, I'm really glad that more grounded productions with more focus on fun and strong single-player experiences are being shown and sold (heck; Last Epoch has an offline single-player mode!). I think the contrast between these and coming wave of GaaS games will be night and day.

The auto battler, popularized with Dota Auto Chess.

I played ridiculous amounts of tower defense maps in Warcraft III back when it was still possible. One of my favorites was the Legion TD map where instead of towers one placed fighters that came to life. Most of the aspects I liked about the concept is present in the auto battler games where Teamfight Tactics is my absolute favorite.

It is the only example I can think of where knowing of a game was enough to make me know it was for me. In all other instances I had to play the game before to know if I liked it.

Another on the list of The Plucky Squire. Looks great.

Hmm, pie.

Triangle Strategy