By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Warner Bros. to double down on live-services after Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League tanks

NobleTeam360 said:

So... they learned nothing after the failure of Suicide Squad and the massive hit that was Hogwarts Legacy? I don't know what to say tbh, I guess at this rate WB games might not be around much longer.

curl-6 said:

"Hey guys, our offline single player game with no microtransactions or other bullshit was the highest selling game of 2023, and our attempt at chasing the GaaS train was a universally derided failure, what should we do next?"

"I know, let's double down on GaaS trash instead of single player games with no bullshit!"

Around the Network

You would think seeing Suicide Squad flop would mean they would focus on more successful games like Hogwarts Legacy, but apparently not. They're really out of touch to double down on games like the former.

Chrkeller said:

I would buy hogwarts 2 at full price. I'm not buying live services.

Same. Hogwarts Legacy was a good game, I'd absolutely be up for a proper sequel.

But fuck Live Service.

I like reading about WBD. It makes me feel good to know that my bouts of foolishness are far from unmatched.

Love and tolerate.

Crazy WBD is saying this after the monumental success of Hogwarts Legacy.

Around the Network

Live services are the new MMORPG, nearly all of them fail miserably after a year, but companies keep pushing due to the potential profits of those who succeed. Completely forgetting that those have a locked audience that's not going to move to their games easily.

Seriously, Hogwarts Legacy made them mountains of cash, how can they be this thickheaded?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Every game company trying to make a dozen "games you spend hours a week playing forever" games when most people already have 3 of those already because so many has already been made. They really think gamers have 25 hours a day to play all 6 of their broken live service games that will get 2 months of support.

There is no way your shitty unfinished GaaS game is stealing players from Fortnite, or GTA Online, or Asphalt 9, or Splatoon, or whatever, because those games are polished and people are already playing them.

KLXVER said:

Just suits chasing Fortnite money. It happens. They will learn eventually.

They are too damn greedy to care.... their mentality is if it takes 25 failours to make 1 win, as long as that win, is big enough, its worth it.
However as a consumer, it feels bad man. Watching all these studios waste time, makeing this trash, that just ends up in a dumpster bin.... (at loss)
instead of focusing on smaller abut almost always profitable single player games (esp. when they are good at makeing them).

Its like its just acceptable to play the lottery, as a game company, and trying to case that win.
What happend to just makeing good games? these single player games that maybe only make 2-3 times the investment in returns..... but arn't nearly as risky.
But nope, that just doesnt work, who wants to spend $200m and only make back 400-600m or so.

Why not just make those? its leadership greed... its the only logical way of thinking of it.
They all dream of makeing one of those 200m GaaS type games, that is actually a mega hit, and then ends up doing maybe 20 times the returns.
Even if it takes them 20 tries to make one of those, or more.

KManX89 said:
KLXVER said:

Just suits chasing Fortnite money. It happens. They will learn eventually.

There’s a reason games like Anthem, Marvel’s Avengers, Evolve, Babylon’s Fall, Fallout 76 and Suicide Squad: KtJL aren’t pulling in Fortnite numbers (not even close, lol): single-player IPs don’t work as live-services.

Hell, it’s not even pulling in the peak numbers of Marvel’s Avengers which also flopped or the old Arkham games:

It flopped so bad, people actually went back and started playing the good Arkhamverse games. Hell, more people are playing Arkham Asylum, a 15-year-old-game right now than are playing KtJL, a game which just came out, that’s just sad.

There are 704 people playing Suicide Squad - Kill the justic league atm.... on a saturaday.
While there are about 3,800 people currently playing Arkham Knight.
And about 1,000 people playing Arkham Asylum  (that 15+ year old game, you mentioned).

curl-6 said:

"Hey guys, our offline single player game with no microtransactions or other bullshit was the highest selling game of 2023, and our attempt at chasing the GaaS train was a universally derided failure, what should we do next?"

"I know, let's double down on GaaS trash instead of single player games with no bullshit!"

Its greed pure and simple.
That and bussinessmen, that think its accepable to fail 20 times in a row, for 1 big payoff.... if the payoff is big enough.
Its a gamble, from a greedy outlook at the top of leadership.

As a consumer though, watching them waste time and failing perphaps 20 times in a row... is gonna suck major balls.
I much rather they just do what their good at, the one and done's, where its all but garenteed, they make back their investments and make maybe only 2-3 times their investment in profits.

Option A)
Give me 20 good games, that make consistant, but smaller profits for a company.

Option B)
Give me 19 game flops (that losses money for company), but one decent GaaS game, that gives like 20 times the returns.

As a consumer, if they pick option B), by the time they get around to that mega hit, of a live service game.... I'd have little to no respect for them left.
And again, live serives games arn't for everyone. I much much rather see them just do story focused games, that are one and done, where potentially one of them appeals to me.

Darwinianevolution said:

Live services are the new MMORPG, nearly all of them fail miserably after a year, but companies keep pushing due to the potential profits of those who succeed. Completely forgetting that those have a locked audience that's not going to move to their games easily.

Seriously, Hogwarts Legacy made them mountains of cash, how can they be this thickheaded?

This. Reading comments on the r/Gaming subreddit defending this shit, saying live-services are a fountain for cash are making my head hurt. No, they’re not. Very, very few end up making money and the few that are aren’t gonna have people stop playing the likes of Fortnite, GTA Online, etc. to play their game. Also, none of them are single-player, the two go together like oil and water. Clearly WBD missed that memo. Then again, that’s kinda par for the course for them.

One comment even said KtJL was more profitable than Hogwarts Legacy, I kid you not. That right there has got to be one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen anybody write on the internet, and that’s saying a lot. Reading that made my IQ drop. A game that has fewer people playing it than the old Arkham games (which I remind you are 9+ years old at this point), is getting refunded en masse and WBD admitted it tanked with cosmetics being its only form of gotcha monetization is making more profit (profit, not money) than the best-selling game of last year, imagine believing this. Bruh, I think YOU need to lay off the coke.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 09 March 2024