Super Mario RPG 1 1.54%

Other (Post in comments) 6 9.23%

Total:65

My top 4:

1. Final Fantasy VI
2. Super Castlevania IV
3. Super Punch Out!!
4. A Link to the Past

The SNES has a ton of other fun games that I enjoyed a lot like Final Fantasy IV and Super Mario World. There are also some great looking games on the SNES that I'd like to try still like Lufia 2 and Ogre Battle.

Around the Network

A Link to the Past for me. Gameplay and artstyle are just timeless.

If say an indy developer would make the exact same game today (ok, change the aspect ratio of the screen), it would still be received extremely well.

Close second, and I'm gonna cheat a little bit, is Super Mario Allstars. The updated presentation of these NES classics is wonderful and being able to save your progress is a game changer.

Last edited by Tober - on 06 March 2024

Chrono Trigger is my favorite game ever made...so yeah. Every game listed in the poll are some of the best games ever made as well.

So many great games. But Yoshi's Island to me is the best of all time.

It depends. Best game, as in, you know, the most innovative, creative, polished etc... that would probably go to Super Metroid. No game on the SNES that I can think of has been more copied than that one (if you can think of something, let me know). If you're talking cultural impact, then noting beats DKC 1. Before that game, Sega was eating their lunch. After, it was all anyone could talk about, and it singlehandedly pulled the SNES into the lead in the US. No game released during that gen was as impactful on sales as that one.

Around the Network

So many great classics.

My vote goes to Chrono Trigger, there really isnt a RPG like it.

Probably Super Mario RPG, and Secret of Mana.... and Super Mario World.
To many great games on that little system for its time, its hard to pick.

Mega Man X. Best game ever. Period.

Another game I keep playing until today is Harvest Moon. People told me to play Stardew Valley instead and I tried that. But it's a little too much for me. I like the "original". =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Yeah it's a testament to how insanely strong the SNES's library is that narrowing it down to just ten choices was damn hard.
There are so many other greats; Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 4, Demon's Crest, Earthbound, F-Zero, Mario Kart, Starfox, Ghosts and Ghouls, Castlevania IV, Contra III, Street Fighter II, Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dreamland 3, Doom, Killer Instinct, the list goes on and on.

Amazing console, still in my opinion the greatest of all time.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 March 2024

I'm a big RPG guy, so my list is a bit RPG/adventure heavy.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Terranigma
3. Final Fantasy III/6
4. Dragon Quest 5
5. Earthbound
6. Final Fantasy II/4
7. Donkey Kong Country Trilogy (Since the SNES era, if I'm playing one, it's going to be all three).
8. Illusion of Time
9/10 (tie). Romancing Saga 2 and 3

Honourable mentions: Link to the Past, Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons, Kirby Superstar, Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, ActRaiser, Soul Blazer, Super Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Super Mario Kart, Super Castlevania, Romancing Saga 1, Live A Live, SimEarth, SimCity, SimAnt, Unirally, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo (really, all the SF2 games), Turtles in Time, Romance of the Three Kingdoms (3/4), Sid Meier's Civilization, Uncharted Waters 2: New Horizons.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.