A Link to the Past 13 20.00%

Chrono Trigger 13 20.00%

Final Fantasy 6 8 12.31%

Super Metroid 9 13.85%

Super Mario RPG 1 1.54%

Other (Post in comments) 6 9.23%

Total:65
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

My favorite SNES game is Donkey Kong Country 3.

But I recognize that Chrono Trigger is the best. It was way too ahead of its time. Also, I like FF4 better than FF6.

If I had to pick one from the trilogy, it would be DKC 3, even though I like the characters of DKC2 more - I still think DKC3's characters are superior to 1 because of Dixie Kong. But when playing the three of them, I like how much the scope of the game grew by the third game, also the setting is interesting. I think DKC3 is one of the most underrated and under appreciated games on SNES. So, if I had to assess the trilogy: first one because of the awesomeness shock at the time, DKC2 because it had the best two characters and music, and DKC3 for features and setting - I like the stages in all three fairly equally. I think DKC3 is kind of like if there was a Super Mario Galaxy 3 at the end of the Wii cycle, even if it ended up being the best, it would be remembered as the third place game.

FF4 is on my list too, one element of the game that doesn't get enough respect is the soundtrack, it's one of my favourites. Its really a shame that this game, with its beautiful story and setting, was also about half the length of FF5 (which IMO is the inferior game between the two in all aspects except graphics).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Hong Kong 97

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

My favourite would be: The Chaos Engine. Comfortably the best coop game on the snes and one I still play on a regular basis.

1. A Link to the Past
2. Super Metroid
3. Donkey Kong Country 2
4. F-Zero
5. Super Mario All-Stars
6. Secret of Mana
7. Terranigma
8. Super Castlevania 4
9. Contra 3
10. Mega Man X

The reason why there's not a single RPG in my list (spots 6 and 7 belong to the subset of action-RPGs) is because none of them aged well. I have no desire to play any of them in this day and age. Only remastered or remade versions of them can work, and even then I'd rather play something else from the SNES. The usual sins of SNES JRPGs are clunky menus, heavy on grinding, too slow battles and awkward pacing of the story. Not all of them suffer from all of these things, but at least two or three things are a given, so none of the JRPGs have this perfection of being fun from start to finish like the cream of the crop of SNES games (of which there are more than just the top 10 I posted above).

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

1. A Link to the Past
2. Super Metroid
3. Donkey Kong Country 2
4. F-Zero
5. Super Mario All-Stars
6. Secret of Mana
7. Terranigma
8. Super Castlevania 4
9. Contra 3
10. Mega Man X

The reason why there's not a single RPG in my list (spots 6 and 7 belong to the subset of action-RPGs) is because none of them aged well. I have no desire to play any of them in this day and age. Only remastered or remade versions of them can work, and even then I'd rather play something else from the SNES. The usual sins of SNES JRPGs are clunky menus, heavy on grinding, too slow battles and awkward pacing of the story. Not all of them suffer from all of these things, but at least two or three things are a given, so none of the JRPGs have this perfection of being fun from start to finish like the cream of the crop of SNES games (of which there are more than just the top 10 I posted above).

Good list. I agree with your take on classic RPG's. Wonderfull moments, but it takes something to get there.

Around the Network

My own vote goes to Donkey Kong Country 2.

From its tight and varied gameplay, to its atmospheric visuals, so its sublime music, it's still in my opinion one of the very finest platformers ever made.

It's a very hard call though; Yoshi's Island, DKC1, A Link to the Past, and Mario World are right up there as well.

Zelda: A Link to the Past. Absolutely everything I wanted in a sequel to the fantastic original. Still my two favorite games of all time.

Super Mario World, Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island stand above the rest on the console for me as well. After that, Super Castlevania 4, Super Punch Out, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6 and Donkey Kong Country would probably round out my top 10. And there are still so many great games left. Love the SNES.

curl-6 said:

From its tight and varied gameplay, to its atmospheric visuals, so its sublime music, it's still in my opinion one of the very finest platformers ever made.

It's a very hard call though; Yoshi's Island, DKC1, A Link to the Past, and Mario World are right up there as well.

DKC2 is amazing, indeed.

One thing I love about it (and the rest of the trilogy, but specially DKC2) is how the game manages to be kids-friendly, but still it has a very dark atmosphere and soundtrack. I don't know how to explain it very well, but it feels like a serious game without being too violent or scary.

I miss that in current games.

Super Mario World for me but I have so many fond memories playing Super Bomberman 2. Its one of the first games I've ever played. Its also one of the few games at the time that I was good enough to advance in lol.

Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat 2, and The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare absolutely destroyed me back then. SimCity and A Link to the Past were too advanced for me, NCAA Basketball was a blast, but even then it felt safe compared to other games and their settings.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
curl-6 said:

DKC2 is amazing, indeed.

One thing I love about it (and the rest of the trilogy, but specially DKC2) is how the game manages to be kids-friendly, but still it has a very dark atmosphere and soundtrack. I don't know how to explain it very well, but it feels like a serious game without being too violent or scary.

I miss that in current games.

Yeah I know what you mean, I also loved that it had that dark vibe; being in hostile territory on the Kremlings' island, the graphics and music having a moodier style. 

The SNES had a lot of games that took on a heavier atmosphere without being explicitly for adults; Demon's Crest, Castlevania IV, Ghosts and Ghouls, etc. I think a lot of this comes down to its audio capabilities which made for some atmospheric soundtracks.