By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is PS2 the bestselling home computer of all time?

 

Is the PS2 the bestselling home computer of all time?

Yes 11 23.91%
 
No 35 76.09%
 
Total:46

I wanna know your guys opinion on this. Yea PC worldwide is definitely more popular than any console in history. But there are so many different iterations PCs to group them all together as being the same singular home computer to compare it to the PS2 which sold 159 Million using the exact same hardware specs

The Bestselling singular PC of all time at least known is the commodore 64 with 30 Million Units.

I can't think of any other singular unit home computer device that has sold more than the PS2, but what do you guys think?



Around the Network

Well its a home console, not a computer. But yeah, its the best selling dedicated game system of all time with around 156 million sold I believe.



There are a lot of reasons why the PS2 is (deserved) the best-selling console of all time. Just look at how many great series were born on it. God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Kingdom Hearts, Fatal Frame... Also, it had some of the best exclusives from that time, like Final Fantasy X and XII,

I don't like when people say it sold well because it was a cheap DVD player. It's a home console, just like the Xbox and the GameCube.



KLXVER said:

Well its a home console, not a computer. But yeah, its the best selling dedicated game system of all time with around 156 million sold I believe.

Every video game console is considered a computer. A computer is a device that stores and processes data which is what a game console does.



Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

There are a lot of reasons why the PS2 is (deserved) the best-selling console of all time. Just look at how many great series were born on it. God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Kingdom Hearts, Fatal Frame... Also, it had some of the best exclusives from that time, like Final Fantasy X and XII,

I don't like when people say it sold well because it was a cheap DVD player. It's a home console, just like the Xbox and the GameCube.

Honestly yea the DVD player argument is so overused, the PS2 still sold 1.5 Billion in software making it have a high attach rate where the average PS2 owner purchased at least 10 games for it, which is one of the highest attach rates for any console in history. If people were buying the PS2 just cause it was a cheap DVD player it wouldn't have an attach rate that high. I'm sure the DVD player helped sweeten the deal for many potential buyers, but pretty much all of them also bought it with the intent to play games on it as well.



Around the Network
javi741 said:
KLXVER said:

Well its a home console, not a computer. But yeah, its the best selling dedicated game system of all time with around 156 million sold I believe.

Every video game console is considered a computer. A computer is a device that stores and processes data which is what a game console does.

And today with internet, games via download, media players and online profiles , they look even more like computers.



PS2 and PS2 Slim each outsold C64. But I don't consider PS2 to be a home computer, and not close enough to one in function.



Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

javi741 said:

I wanna know your guys opinion on this. Yea PC worldwide is definitely more popular than any console in history. But there are so many different iterations PCs to group them all together as being the same singular home computer to compare it to the PS2 which sold 159 Million using the exact same hardware specs

The Bestselling singular PC of all time at least known is the commodore 64 with 30 Million Units.

I can't think of any other singular unit home computer device that has sold more than the PS2, but what do you guys think?

It is not a computer... So I voted no.
Not in the context of devices for gaming, at least. I mean, you may want to come with an official definition of what is a computer, but when you talk to people in general about a computer and console, they clearly make a distinction between the 2. So I'm not sure what is the point of trying to call it a "computer". It is a gaming console, a Mac/PC is a computer (again,for the day to day / average / casual / majority of people). And especially if you add "home" in front, it makes it even weirder (or out of place) to call the Play Station 2 a computer...

Just look at every gaming website, they clearly ALWAYS categorize the PC as a "computer" and the console as .. well.. Consoles.

Here is an example: Gaming PC vs. Console: Which Should You Buy in 2024? - IGN

It is the best-selling home gaming console of all time.

Last edited by Imaginedvl - on 03 March 2024

javi741 said:
KLXVER said:

Well its a home console, not a computer. But yeah, its the best selling dedicated game system of all time with around 156 million sold I believe.

Every video game console is considered a computer. A computer is a device that stores and processes data which is what a game console does.

Well then an Iphone might be the best selling of all time. Dont know sales of phones.



If by "home computer" you mean "videogame console" then sure. Yeah.