By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is PS2 the bestselling home computer of all time?

Is the PS2 the bestselling home computer of all time?

Yes 11 23.91%

No 35 76.09%

Total:46
javi741 said:
KLXVER said:

Well its a home console, not a computer. But yeah, its the best selling dedicated game system of all time with around 156 million sold I believe.

Every video game console is considered a computer. A computer is a device that stores and processes data which is what a game console does.

A computer has a keyboard and mouse attached to it, but a console does not. That is the difference.

Around the Network

Wait the ps2 was a home computer. I knew it was a dvd player but not a home computer!

BiON!@ 

I'd say as it can be a home computer aka Linux Kit for anyone that knows (so calling it a computer is fair of a question then the pfft it's a game console what are you talking about, that people will likely say or get confused as it's not like people go out of their way to search up the Linux Kit or had a demo disk with the Yabasic environment on it after all or cared either/only few have it or took the time to learn it)...

that or the Yabasic program and coding language Sony tried to use as a means of 'selling it as a computer' to European countries (I forget which they tried that and failed) as they wanted to avoid the console tax/fee or whatever it was. So they tried to sell it as a computer to avoid that, that failed and most people see it as a DVD player or game console.

You can do a fair bit with Yabasic but not many people would bother with it. It's more a novelty then anything if people want to mess around with it.

So yes an Xbox One/Series can be used with a keyboard and mouse for games, for the Edge browser and you can use online methods of Office/Google Docs or a bunch of other things if you wanted a web browser can do (with limits of course) but how many people buy it for that not many.

Same with PS2, you can use the Linux Kit and a Keyboard/Mouse.

You can use a keyboard and Mouse with the Dreamcast, you could use Web TV on it if you wanted. You can use a Keyboard/Mouse with the GameCube but that's for like Dreamcast Phantasy Star Online 1.

PS4 also has Keyboard and Mouse support but again, how many use it for games and how many used it with the web browser/I assume PS store it works as well, but not many. They may chat or game playing but that's about it.

So with those details of is it a computer out of the way or best selling I'd say no still as while it's able to be a computer it isn't primarily by 99% of people used for that. Just best selling console not best selling computer in terms of use case not just availability as the obvious of 'best selling' part there.

So I'd still say no as not many people used it as a computer with the Linux Kit.

Same with PS3 Other OS or the Printer feature barely anyone used them. It was an option but most used it as a game console or media box for CD/DVDs/Netflix streaming via the disk at least in some countries it's possible or with PS3 streaming as well as Blu-rays and such.

Last edited by SuntannedDuck2 - on 17 March 2024

If we are being really technical yes the hardware computes things as an electronic device but no it's not a computer. It's a home video game console.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

No, becaue nobody would use the word computer in such a way aside from someone being obnoxiously pedantic on the internet.

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

There are a lot of reasons why the PS2 is (deserved) the best-selling console of all time. Just look at how many great series were born on it. God of War, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Kingdom Hearts, Fatal Frame... Also, it had some of the best exclusives from that time, like Final Fantasy X and XII,

I don't like when people say it sold well because it was a cheap DVD player. It's a home console, just like the Xbox and the GameCube.

I can only speak for myself, but at the time I justified buying the PS2 near launch because of two things, the DVD player and playing the Square Enix games that I didn't get to play on the N64. I didn't own a DVD player, and it was getting two things in one. The PS2 was my first non-Nintendo console.  Now, maybe I was the only person in the world that thought that way, but that's a big reason why I bought it.

javi741 said:
KLXVER said:

Well its a home console, not a computer. But yeah, its the best selling dedicated game system of all time with around 156 million sold I believe.

Every video game console is considered a computer. A computer is a device that stores and processes data which is what a game console does.

By that definition, Nokia 1100 is best selling computer of all time, with 250 millions sold - or if you want it a bit more modern, with actually being a device where you can hook up a keyboard and monitor to it, iPhone 6/6 Plus is most sold computer, with 222 millions sold.

home computer ??? what? no... its a console.

KLXVER said:

~159m :)  and "of all time" for now..... Switch is gonna eat up that delta, between it and the PS2, and surpass it (imo).

A smartphone is much closer to a pc in functionality and multiple I-phones have outsold the PS2

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar