By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokémon Presents 2024

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Vodacixi said:

If Square Enix can get away with selling six old as fuck Final Fantasy games at 80 dolars... why would Nintendo give their old GB/GBA Pokémon games "for free"?

Because it isn't free, it will literally bring millions more to NSO. And on top of that it will generate a lot of positive buzz which would be super valuable in a "break year" like this.

I think that when NSO eventually gets a price hike, this would be the plaster on the wound.

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:

If Square Enix can get away with selling six old as fuck Final Fantasy games at 80 dolars... why would Nintendo give their old GB/GBA Pokémon games "for free"?

Because the six FF games you are referencing arent just ports from their original releases.

They'll either release the original games on NSO and the remakes of the older generations as separate releases like they did with 1st and 2nd gen games on 3DS.

@OT - Nice, I'm glad its not 10th gen or remakes of 5th gen. I'll take this.

Mar1217 said:

The real good news here is that Pokemon ain't seeing a release this year. First it happened since ... 2015 !

Maybe they actually went through with a reorganisation like they implied a few months back with these poor game releases.

I'm also expecting Legends Z-A to not be cross gen with the Switch 2 sincerely. They don't have a habit of working on multiple hardware at once for these projects. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but doubtful at best.

However, Switch 2 BC and maybe a next gen patch will make the experience all the better, one can only hope.

I saw where Pokemon Leaker Riddler Khu made a tease that their could be a Pokemon game this year afterall. Some think it could be an ILCA developed Gen 5 remake, hard to say. Odd that they wouldn't announce it today if it's in development though, unless they are saving it for a 2nd Pokemon Presents later in the year. 

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Vodacixi said:

Because it isn't free, it will literally bring millions more to NSO. And on top of that it will generate a lot of positive buzz which would be super valuable in a "break year" like this.

That's why I put "for free" on quote. Also, I'm willing to bet that most people interested in playing old Pokémon games and have a Nintendo Switch already have a NSO subscription in order to play the newer Pokémon games online. I don't think putting Gen 1-3 on NSO (and Gen 3 would be locked behind a second paywall) would attract too many new customers. It would be much, much more profitable to just sell them.

BasilZero said:
Vodacixi said:

Because the six FF games you are referencing arent just ports from their original releases.

They'll either release the original games on NSO and the remakes of the older generations as separate releases like they did with 1st and 2nd gen games on 3DS.

@OT - Nice, I'm glad its not 10th gen or remakes of 5th gen. I'll take this.

The Final Fantasy games was just an example. Sure, they have remastered music and... remastered sprites? I don't think that's quite the word, but whathever. My point is they are still old games sold on nostalgia at a very expensive price (especially the physical release).

If Square Enix was very successful withthat approach with a series much less popular than Pokémon... I think the course of action is very clear. They could follow suit and basically sell Gen 1-3 at 80 dolars with close to zero developement costs and obtain ridiculous amounts of money from the tens of milions sales they would make. 

Or they could put them on NSO, which most of their Pokémon fans already have and make significantly less money.

Around the Network

When you snap a pic in GO Snapshot, the stars of Pokémon Horizons: The Series—Liko and Roy—will drop in to commemorate the show's debut on March 7, 2024, on Netflix. Celebrate 4.5 years of Pokémon Masters EX with the arrival of new sync pairs .Pokémon Legends: Z-A is the next new entry to the Pokémon video game series, will launch on Nintendo Switch systems in 2025! A new adventure awaits within Lumiose City, where an urban redevelopment plan is under way to shape the city into a place that belongs to both people and Pokémon. On Feb. 27, 1996, the very first Pokémon games, "Pokémon Red and Green," were released on the Game Boy in Japan
https://2048-cupcakes.org/

Vodacixi said:

The Final Fantasy games was just an example. Sure, they have remastered music and... remastered sprites? I don't think that's quite the word, but whathever. My point is they are still old games sold on nostalgia at a very expensive price (especially the physical release).

If Square Enix was very successful withthat approach with a series much less popular than Pokémon... I think the course of action is very clear. They could follow suit and basically sell Gen 1-3 at 80 dolars with close to zero developement costs and obtain ridiculous amounts of money from the tens of milions sales they would make. 

Or they could put them on NSO, which most of their Pokémon fans already have and make significantly less money.

Doesnt matter if they are old games, people can complain about Square Enix as much as they want, but at least they give more effort in their remasters and remakes unlike GameFreak who simply ported straight from Game Boy to 3DS identical copies of games.

Its not just remastered music and sprites

QoL features like Boosters which can alter experience gain, money gain and to turn off encounters is or a detailed map (which the original versions never had) which showed treasure chests and paths is a game changer and a great way to entice people who never played the older games or the series at all - great way to start the series too since you can customize your own difficulty when it comes grinding.

There's all sorts of other stuff they did which pretty much makes playing the NES and SNES originals (and the PS1 versions) pointless to go back and play again.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_version_differences#Final_Fantasy_pixel_remaster_series

Anyways to go with sales and prices..

Whether the Pixel Remasters was a success is unknown because SE tends to make their expectations unreasonable - they sold a total of 3 million units between 6 games between the Switch, PS4, PC/Steam and iOS/android versions as of September 2023. They havent had any press release since.

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/09/final-fantasy-pixel-remaster-series-sales-top-three-million

Another thing to consider is the fact that you can buy the games separately so not everyone "Paid $80" - the entire collection goes for $75 , has been on sale once for $60.

Individually - Final Fantasy I PR and Final Fantasy II PR are $12 each ($9 when on sale) and III PR, IV PR, V PR and VI PR are all $18 each ($14 when on sale)

I would guess that III PR (because its the only 2D Remake of III), IV PR and VI PR are the ones that sold the most between the six games.

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/final-fantasy-i-vi-pixel-remaster-collection

Compare to your claim that Gen 1-3 for $80 would sell for millions....if it were true, they would have done it a long time ago - clearly there's a reason why they have not.

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow sold 1.5 mil copies (across 4 versions, 3 in WW and 4 in Japan) - the only known figure since its release. The games were being sold for $10 each on the 3DS back in 2016 (this was before the Switch existed and the 3DS had a high user count - also the games never went on sale unless you were lucky to find a physical retailer who sold them for less like Best Buy did for $7 each.)

https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/28/pokemon-re-releases-sold-over-15-million-worldwide

I cant find numbers for Pokemon Gold, Silver or Crystal's 3DS re-release anywhere so I'm assuming it flopped in comparison and which is the reason why they stopped making re-releases of the older games.

So either they'll release it on NSO as a way to entice people to join NSO (and to get people who unsubscribed to NSO to come back) or they wont do anything with older versions of games and just focus on mainline games, spinoffs and remakes like they been doing for the past decade.

Vodacixi said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

That's why I put "for free" on quote. Also, I'm willing to bet that most people interested in playing old Pokémon games and have a Nintendo Switch already have a NSO subscription in order to play the newer Pokémon games online. I don't think putting Gen 1-3 on NSO (and Gen 3 would be locked behind a second paywall) would attract too many new customers. It would be much, much more profitable to just sell them.

I won't necesarrily disagree that it would be more profitable to sell them (there are other advantages to pushing NSO though), but I'm 100 % certain it would bring in a ton of new people. It's quite a stretch to think everyone with an interest in classic Pokémon still plays the modern games and has NSO to do so, particularly with the bad rep the new games have gotten. It's mainly the more dedicated players that fit that bill and this is a series that has an absolutely massive casual audience as well that get sucked into it every few years.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

G2ThaUNiT said:

My anticipation for anything Pokémon related is at an all-time low lol. Arceus wasn't too bad, but it didn't move the needle much in terms in me being optimistic for the future of the series. Scarlet/Violet then buried it lol.

I expect updates to all the mobile games they have, including Pokémon Unite, a remake of some sort (most likely B&W) and a NSO release. A mainline game being added to NSO would be pretty hype, but I'm leaning more towards OP's predictions of Pinball or Puzzle Challenge. Most likely Puzzle Challenge being released just because Puzzle League is already on NSO for N64.

Just to note, Puzzle League is already available on NSO.

I still would like to see the Gen3 games on there eventually, or preferably available standalone but...

SecondWar said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

My anticipation for anything Pokémon related is at an all-time low lol. Arceus wasn't too bad, but it didn't move the needle much in terms in me being optimistic for the future of the series. Scarlet/Violet then buried it lol.

I expect updates to all the mobile games they have, including Pokémon Unite, a remake of some sort (most likely B&W) and a NSO release. A mainline game being added to NSO would be pretty hype, but I'm leaning more towards OP's predictions of Pinball or Puzzle Challenge. Most likely Puzzle Challenge being released just because Puzzle League is already on NSO for N64.

Just to note, Puzzle League is already available on NSO.

I still would like to see the Gen3 games on there eventually, or preferably available standalone but...

I know. You kinda repeated what I said lol. Bummer we didn't get anything. I was about to lose my mind when the Unown appeared and I saw what appeared to be a Game Boy era Game Freak logo lol, but that didn't turn out to be the case. 

We'll be lucky if we ever get a mainline Pokémon game on NSO at this point. Here's to hoping Nintendo is holding on to that for the launch of the Switch 2!