By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should we consider Switch successor as 10th Gen?

Which Generation would you consider the Switch Successor?

9th Generation 21 36.21%

10th Generation 37 63.79%

Total:58

The competitor argument is interesting, because you could argue that Dreamcast was 5th generation by that metric. Yes, Sega was trying a war on two fronts. They wanted to outsell the PS1 and be prepared for a likely PS2.
Dreamcast hardware was discontinued globally before GameCube and Xbox hit the market, and only a year after PS2's Japanese launch.
Dreamcast spent the first half of its life competing against N64 and PS1, with the second half continuing that and adding PS2 into the mix.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

@Pemalite
What about Wii, wich gen it belongs?

We reap what we sow

Nintendo's interpretation of a generation is certainly not about power but about how the player is experiencing the games. In other words the interaction bits.

NES: D-pad, 2 buttons
SNES: D-pad, 6 buttons
N64: Analog stick, 4 player ports
GameCube: Second analog stick(C-stick), GBA Link
Wii: Pointer controls
Wii U: Wii U pad, Asymmetric play
Switch: Joycons (also linkable to Lite)

Gameboy: D-pad, 2 buttons (same for Color, so same gen for Nintendo)
GBA: D-pad, 4 buttons
DS: D-pad, Touch controls.
2/3DS: Circle pad.

So I fully expect Switch2 to again have something new about interaction with the player. No idea what it is. Else it would be a new member to the Switch family eventhough more powerfull (see Gameboy and Gameboy color).

Last edited by Tober - on 20 February 2024

Pemalite said:
Shtinamin_ said:

How did I do? Good? Bad? 

NES is 3rd Gen. Switch is 8th gen.

Remember the Switch may have released in 2017, but it's hardware is from 2015. - XBox One And Playstation 4 dropped in 2013.
      A company can release more than 1 device per console generation... Or may even skip a generation.

Atari did it with the Atari 5200 which shared the generation with the 2600.

Playstation 4/Playstation 4 Pro and Xbox One/Xbox One X and Xbox Series S/Series X.

Probably a few more examples out there, but you get the idea.

We can't really go by "years" either... The Original Xbox only existed for 4 years, the Gameboy Advance was only around for 3 years before the DS came... Which really hazards back to my technology definition, console graphics technology tends to be a sort of "eb and flow" with the generations, significant leaps in graphics technology tends to coincide with a viable console successor.

Shtinamin_ said:

I don't think Wiki is the best place for sources. But there is a lot of reasoning why it should be gen 9. So what are the reasons why it should be gen 8?

Wikipedia is perfectly fine.

You can't exactly jump onto wikipedia and start injecting your own views and opinions into articles... That is, unless you have citations.
      Which is this annoying little bit of "evidence" to support your articles in wikipedia.

Thus, check the citations in an article to ascertain the veracity of claims.

I didnt follow years, I just tried to see what console could do whatever tech was in the descriptions you said (but I understand if there were any mistakes).

My reasoning for putting Switch in 9th was because the Switch can anti-alias (I didn't really check the rest).

Ok! I blame American schools for the Wiki hate.

And I agree a gaming company doesnt need to make just one per generation. I think that Switch sold so well that a 9th gen console wasn't necessary.

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Nintendo dont launch, launch aligned anymore.
      Plus it feels wrong to lable it as 10th gen, when it'll be around the performance of the 8th gen consoles (ps4).

Its either its own thing (what gen handhelds are we at?), or 9th gen, imo.
      I view Nintendo as haveing two consoles in 1 gen, back with the Wii U and Switch.

Most websites, and wiki too, lable it as 8th gen.
      its only here on vgchartz people see it as 9th gen, mostly.

Around the Network
      Shtinamin_ said:
      Pemalite said:

NES is 3rd Gen. Switch is 8th gen.

Remember the Switch may have released in 2017, but it's hardware is from 2015. - XBox One And Playstation 4 dropped in 2013.
      A company can release more than 1 device per console generation... Or may even skip a generation.

Atari did it with the Atari 5200 which shared the generation with the 2600.

Playstation 4/Playstation 4 Pro and Xbox One/Xbox One X and Xbox Series S/Series X.

Probably a few more examples out there, but you get the idea.

We can't really go by "years" either... The Original Xbox only existed for 4 years, the Gameboy Advance was only around for 3 years before the DS came... Which really hazards back to my technology definition, console graphics technology tends to be a sort of "eb and flow" with the generations, significant leaps in graphics technology tends to coincide with a viable console successor.

Shtinamin_ said:

I don't think Wiki is the best place for sources. But there is a lot of reasoning why it should be gen 9. So what are the reasons why it should be gen 8?

Wikipedia is perfectly fine.

You can't exactly jump onto wikipedia and start injecting your own views and opinions into articles... That is, unless you have citations.
      Which is this annoying little bit of "evidence" to support your articles in wikipedia.

Thus, check the citations in an article to ascertain the veracity of claims.

I didnt follow years, I just tried to see what console could do whatever tech was in the descriptions you said (but I understand if there were any mistakes).

My reasoning for putting Switch in 9th was because the Switch can anti-alias (I didn't really check the rest).

And I agree a gaming company doesnt need to make just one per generation. I think that Switch sold so well that a 9th gen console wasn't necessary.

Most (vast majority) of switch games dont have any Anti-alising.... right? So that seems like a odd reason.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 20 February 2024

JRPGfan said:
      Shtinamin_ said:

Most (vast majority) of switch games dont have any Anti-alising.... right? So that seems like an odd reason.

The Switch is capable of anti-aliasing. It’s not an odd reason.

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Shtinamin_ said:
      JRPGfan said:

Most (vast majority) of switch games dont have any Anti-alising.... right? So that seems like an odd reason.

So was the PS3/Xbox360..... the thing is... do the games use it? what resolutions do you play at?
      Switch games dont generally have AA, just like the PS3/XB360 didn't either.

JRPGfan said:
      Shtinamin_ said:

So was the PS3/Xbox360..... the thing is... do the games use it? what resolutions do you play at?
      Switch games dont generally have AA, just like the PS3/XB360 didn't either.

Cool. So would Anti-Aliasing not be a reason to be Gen 9?

JRPGfan said:

Nintendo dont launch, launch aligned anymore.
      Plus it feels wrong to lable it as 10th gen, when it'll be around the performance of the 8th gen consoles (ps4).

Its either its own thing (what gen handhelds are we at?), or 9th gen, imo.
      I view Nintendo as haveing two consoles in 1 gen, back with the Wii U and Switch.

Most websites, and wiki too, lable it as 8th gen.
      its only here on vgchartz people see it as 9th gen, mostly.

Microsoft didn't do that either, only 8th and 9th gen we have MS and Sony aligning their console launch. And they will definitely not follow that next gen

Using the power argument would also put Wii and Wii U as 6th and 7th gen consoles respectively.

These reasons don't reasoning.

Look how lame it becomes 

Last edited by 160rmf - on 20 February 2024

We reap what we sow