By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should we consider Switch successor as 10th Gen?

Which Generation would you consider the Switch Successor?

9th Generation 21 36.21%

10th Generation 37 63.79%

Total:58
RolStoppable said:
Chicho said:

If you added handhelds to this graph, it would make things easier to understand for the confused people.

Just assume for a moment that Sony had not exited the handheld space, then the Vita successor would have been due in 2016 or 2017. It would have been a no-brainer for everyone that the Vita successor does not belong into the same generation as the Vita; and if a new Sony handheld cannot be the same gen in 2016/2017, then obviously a new Nintendo console wouldn't be the same gen as the 3DS and Wii U either. Things could have been so simple if Sony didn't suck so hard.

Or just look a the Dreamcast bar. Why do you put it in the sixth gen despite the bar actually looking more appropriate for the fifth gen? It's because Sega had the Saturn in the fifth gen already.

Console generations are defined by time, and time alone.

Why can't there be two consoles/handhelds in the same generation? You make it sound like there can only be one. If the Switch Successor is released in Spring 2025, then I would consider it as 10th gen.

I think the main reason people consider Switch as gen 8 is because there weren't any big consoles to release in 2017. 2017 had New Shield Android TV, Switch, New 2DS XL, SNES Classic, Xbox One X. New 2DS XL, and Xbox One X are upgrades. New Shield Android TV is too small to be noticed. SNES Classic was a "reboot"? No other generation has a 3 year gap between big console releases, so people just put it in as a very late gen 8 release.
There's the bias reason, where the gaming community doesn't view Nintendo as a big contender or want to downplay the Switch hence why its gen 8. (This reason is more of a speculation).

I have no problem saying that the Switch can be gen 9, but I do see what are some reasons for gen 8 placement.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network

I voted 10th gen just because it seems like Switch 2 isn't coming until 2025. Also seems like PS6 will possibly be 2027 and the next Xbox 2026. So Switch 2 will be primarily competing with and existing with those two consoles.

With that said, I've kind of given up on what gen Nintendo hardware is in considering there's no consensus on what gen the Switch is in and I expect this to continue with Switch 2.

I think it's time to dispense with the idea of generations. Microsoft wanted to get rid of it several years ago, but they didn't have the market clout to make it happen. It looks like they are continuing to move in that direction though, just less overtly. Release schedules aren't matching up, at least between Nintendo and the other two. But, I think it's highly likely that the 9th generation is also the last time that Microsoft and Sony have launch schedules that align.

Then there's the fact that the gaming market has grown tremendously, beyond the old dedicated hardware model, and even the three players that are responsible for hardware in the traditional portion of the market are starting to differ in the ways that they want to serve that market. So there really just isn't much point to put them into a generation group anymore. Microsoft doesn't care about selling consoles. Nintendo is selling lower tech, portable hardware. Sony is really the only one still trying to sell traditional, relatively high power, video game hardware.

Grouping them into a generation for purposes of discussion may have made sense in the past. I guess it kind of still makes sense today. But, it's usefulness is quickly dwindling.

Last edited by VAMatt - on 25 February 2024

Shtinamin_ said:

Why can't there be two consoles/handhelds in the same generation?

That has happened several times in the past.

See: Atari 2600 and Atari 5800.
See: Xbox One and Xbox One X.
See: Playstation 4 and Playstation 4 Pro.
See: Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
See: PSP 1000 vs PSP 2000, 3000, Go, E1000.
See: 3DS and NEW 3DS.
See: DS vs DSi.

They often feature faster CPU's, GPU's, more RAM, more storage etc'.

The Xbox One and Xbox One X differ even on chip architecture somewhat. - Aka. AMD Jaguar CPU cores vs Jaguar Plus CPU cores, DDR3 vs GDDR5, eSRAM vs no eSRAM, Graphics Core Next 2.0 GPU architecture vs Graphics Core Next 4.0 GPU architecture.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Shtinamin_ said:

Why can't there be two consoles/handhelds in the same generation?

That has happened several times in the past.

See: Atari 2600 and Atari 5800.
See: Xbox One and Xbox One X.
See: Playstation 4 and Playstation 4 Pro.
See: Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S.
See: PSP 1000 vs PSP 2000, 3000, Go, E1000.
See: 3DS and NEW 3DS.
See: DS vs DSi.

They often feature faster CPU's, GPU's, more RAM, more storage etc'.

The Xbox One and Xbox One X differ even on chip architecture somewhat. - Aka. AMD Jaguar CPU cores vs Jaguar Plus CPU cores, DDR3 vs GDDR5, eSRAM vs no eSRAM, Graphics Core Next 2.0 GPU architecture vs Graphics Core Next 4.0 GPU architecture.

Yea that is very true. And apologies, I was referring to new consoles (I personally have those as upgrades), but yes you are correct. Thank you!

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network

It hit the 5 year mark so yes 10th gen.

BiON!@