By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should we consider Switch successor as 10th Gen?

Which Generation would you consider the Switch Successor?

9th Generation 21 36.21%

10th Generation 37 63.79%

Total:58
JWeinCom said:

Why does it make sense to group it with either? In what situation is that classification useful?

When discussing your favorite 9th or 10th console?

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
JWeinCom said:

Why does it make sense to group it with either? In what situation is that classification useful?

When discussing your favorite 9th or 10th console?

"What is your favorite console out of the Switch 2, PS5, or XBox Series X/S" or "what is your favorite console out of Switch 2, PS6, or XBox whatever". 

We can ask either question perfectly fine already. Slightly wordier, but takes much less words than defining a generation and where Switch 2 falls, which has so far been going on for about 20 posts with no real consensus. 

JWeinCom said:

which has so far been going on for about 20 posts with no real consensus. 

And which we will never have a consensus on this very question.  And that's what debate is all about.

Which gen did the Dreamcast belong to? How about the Jaguar? How about the 3DO? How about Neo Geo?

Last edited by BFR - on 19 February 2024

Same question was asked when the Switch was release, many people said the Switch and Wii U could be considered the same Gen because they were both on the market with the PS4/X1.
In the end, if the next hardware release in Q1 2025, Switch would have spent more time on the market with the PS5/XS. So let’s keep it simple: Switch 9th and Switch 2 10th.

Second generation hybrid, I’m assuming. Perhaps 8th or 6th generation of major Nintendo hardware—it’s a bit messy considering there are 4 generations of handhelds and 6 generations of home consoles, and Hybrids are both.

Either way, it’s my opinion that there’s little relevance in trying to tie the generations of Nintendo systems with the generations of any other company outside of the 16-bit era (and even then, nearly half the time Mega Drive competed with NES, while the later years of SNES competed with Saturn and PSX), and maybe the Cube as part of the PS2 generation given the obvious similarities between those consoles; but Nintendo consoles are normally their own thing—at least as far as NES, N64, Wii, Wii U go for home consoles, and all their handhelds, hybrids, and the Virtual Boy.

I say the same thing about iOS and Android devices as shared generations, or Mac and PC… and those share even greater volumes of features and software than Nintendo’s gaming consoles do with those of other companies.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 19 February 2024

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
BFR said:
JWeinCom said:

which has so far been going on for about 20 posts with no real consensus. 

And which we will never have a consensus on this very question.  And that's what debate is all about.

Which gen did the Dreamcast belong to? How about the Jaguar? How about the 3DO?

Yeah, but why debate?

Generally, classifying things has some sort of purpose. . For example, lets say we had a music store. If you remember those, they had music in sections. So, it's worth considering whether it makes sense to put Taylor Swift in Pop or Country. Where are customers going to look? And, if someone is interested in Taylor Swift would we rather lead them to the Pop section or the Country Section? Where would they be more likely to find other music that they would buy? The same thing sort of applies in digital storefronts although a bit differently. But, point is, there's a practical reason to consider the question.

In this case, I don't really see a practical need to worry about the classification if it's not immediately obvious. Don't see how it's productive. But if you're interested in the question itself, then do you. 

JWeinCom said:
BFR said:

Which gen did the Dreamcast belong to? How about the Jaguar? How about the 3DO?

Yeah, but why debate?

Because that is the essence of America, and I'm assuming you live here, like I do.

Let me ask you this, do you support or oppose abortion? What is the correct answer?

Bottom line, there is none, it's a moral question. Either response is neither right nor wrong.

Same goes for which console/handheld belongs to which gen.

BFR said:
JWeinCom said:

Yeah, but why debate?

Because that is the essence of America, and I'm assuming you live here, like I do.

Let me ask you this, do you support or oppose abortion? What is the correct answer?

Bottom line, there is none, it's a moral question. Either response is neither right nor wrong.

Same goes for which console/handheld belongs to which gen.

Do you think the question of whether or not we should allow abortion and whether or not the Switch 2 is a 10th generation console are topics that are equally important and worth discussion? XD

I'm just pointing out a comparison, like apples to oranges. Didn't mean to offend you.

BFR said:

I'm just pointing out a comparison, like apples to oranges. Didn't mean to offend you.

The comparison is completely inapt. It's like comparing apples to saxophones. Sometimes we have to come to the best conclusion we can, even if it may not be perfect, because it has a meaningful impact. If a woman wants to have an abortion, she and her doctor need to know if that is legal. So, we have to come to a conclusion one way or another. I can see no comparably pressing need to decide whether the Switch is a 9th or 10th generation console. 

I'm really not very inclined to continue this since it seems like sealioning. So, if you make a post that shows that you comprehended the point and make a post that actually addresses it maybe I'll respond. Otherwise, no sense derailing further. Let's just let the people who actually care about what generation the Switch belongs in have at it.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 19 February 2024