By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should we consider Switch successor as 10th Gen?

Which Generation would you consider the Switch Successor?

9th Generation 21 36.21%

10th Generation 37 63.79%

Total:58

I think it's more appropriate to lump consoles based on hardware feature sets... So with that in mind, the Switch would be an 8th generation machine as it has all the hallmarks of 8th gen hardware features. I.E. Direct X 11 featuresets encompassing things like Tessellation, Compute Shader, Geometry Shader etc'.
..And that is in part due to using nVidia Maxwell GPU hardware which was a Direct X 11 designed part.

The 9th gen would encompass 1st generation hardware Ray Tracing consoles. Aka. Series S/X, Playstation 5 and Switch 2.

7th gen was all about fully programmable pixel shaders.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

I think it's more appropriate to lump consoles based on hardware feature sets... So with that in mind, the Switch would be an 8th generation machine as it has all the hallmarks of 8th gen hardware features. I.E. Direct X 11 featuresets encompassing things like Tessellation, Compute Shader, Geometry Shader etc'.
..And that is in part due to using nVidia Maxwell GPU hardware which was a Direct X 11 designed part.

The 9th gen would encompass 1st generation hardware Ray Tracing consoles. Aka. Series S/X, Playstation 5 and Switch 2.

7th gen was all about fully programmable pixel shaders.

That is super interesting. I don't know much about the hardware specific features. If it isn't a bother I would like to see your Generations list. Would that be possible?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

BFR said:

The NES started the 2nd gen in 1983.

I think you mean the Famicom started the 3rd in 1983.

Switch is a 1st Generation Hybrid. Switch 2 will be a 2nd generational hybrid. Let's stop lumping a device that's in its own category with more traditional consoles.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

KLXVER said:
BFR said:

The NES started the 2nd gen in 1983.

Glad you think so.

Around the Network

Switch 1 current generation.
Switch 2 upcoming generation.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

BFR said:
KLXVER said:

Glad you think so.

Me too

It is objectively eighth gen, but a lot of people want to classify it ninth... for some odd reason. Personally, I don't understand it, because that means what, Nintendo released two eighth gen consoles? lol. It makes no sense. A gen is simply a successor. It has nothing to do with power/tech etc.

Last edited by JackHandy - on 20 February 2024

JackHandy said:

It is objectively ninth gen, but a lot of people want to classify it tenth... for some odd reason. Personally, I don't understand it, because that means what, Nintendo released two ninth gen consoles? lol. It makes no sense. A gen is simply a successor. It has nothing to do with power/tech etc.

Did you change your mind mid-sentence or what?

Why does it make sense to group it with either? In what situation is that classification useful?