By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (Rumor) Playstation 6 to be enhanced by generative AI. To feature Ray Reconstruction and Path Tracing

This news is a bit old, but since I saw some people talking about that in the last days on Youtube, might as well post it here.

It's still too early to talk about the next-gen Playstation, but according to some leaks (I'll post the source below), Sony is already working on the Playstation 6. That's probably a given, but some of it's features could have been leaked.

The PS6 should be enhanced by Generative AI, a new technology that allows NPCs in games to feel more realistic, and allows them to have different reactions to the player's actions. There's a couple of good Youtube videos showing the progress on this tech.

The graphics will feature Ray Reconstruction and Path Tracing. This may be true, since some PC games like Alan Wake II already have those.

Another detail shares that it will release after the next Xbox. Sony will take their time, since they're not in a rush to release it.

Of course, take that with a grain of salt, since we have no official word from the company, and who knows if this leak is real.

Sources:

Tweak Town

Tudo Celular (In portuguese)

Wccftech

Around the Network

Just going to put this here i remember this was the Last Playstation This PS6 that Crazy Ken Kutiragi Envisioned.

We are so far still from a time release that I won't try to speculate much on the question because generative AI or machine learning depending on it's implementation can lead to different spectrum of appreciation.

It could lead to more organic interactions sure but the knowledgeable of it being so artificially made and possible mishaps on its use could lead to quite the uncanny Valley effect hahaha.

Last edited by Mar1217 - on 09 February 2024

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

We are so far still from a time release that I will try to speculate on the question because generative AI or machine learning depending on it's implementation can lead to different spectrum of appreciation.

It could lead to more organic interactions sure but the knowledgeable of it being so artificially made and possible mishaps on its use could lead to quite the uncanny Valley effect hahaha.

I like the idea of generative AI because it would be very good for RPGs and adventure games. I mean, if you check the videos, you'll see that it's still very limited, but I can see it evolving over time.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Mar1217 said:

We are so far still from a time release that I will try to speculate on the question because generative AI or machine learning depending on it's implementation can lead to different spectrum of appreciation.

I like the idea of generative AI because it would be very good for RPGs and adventure games. I mean, if you check the videos, you'll see that it's still very limited, but I can see it evolving over time.

Heh, there could be meaning in it if the interaction with these machine learned created NPC is important to the gameplay structures but otherwise, I'd consider it just bad fluff that's worthless to make interaction with since there's no real creative decision/intention behind it being as it is. Padding in other words.

Last edited by Mar1217 - on 09 February 2024

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

I'd say that is a pretty safe bet. If the higher end GPU's of 2023 like the RTX 4080 can do those things, I don't see why a console rumored to be aiming for release in 2028 wouldn't be able to. Even if the 2026 launch rumors for the next gen Xbox are true, I'm sure it will also have substantially better ray tracing performance than Series X, supposedly next gen Xbox will be running RDNA 5 graphics, 2 AMD GPU generations ahead of the current RDNA 3/Radeon 7000 series and 3 AMD GPU generations ahead of the RDNA 2 part in Series X. Even the higher end RDNA 3 cards have pretty good raytracing performance (especially if you use frame generation), so next gen Xbox should be pretty impressive since it'll be 2 AMD GPU gens beyond that.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 09 February 2024

Fuck PS6. Fuck Future Xbox if there is one. DIgital only AI trash. Gaming isn't worth it once this gen is over.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Path tracing, nice. Ray tracing, that is pretty underwhelming stuff. AI can go and fuck itself, cannot wait for windows (12) users to embrace that shit.

The next generation of games consoles will be whatever Nvidia/AMD put in their top-end GPUs. The costs of developing this technology is becoming insane. It's only by putting the chips in console and the PC market that it can be justified.

A long time has passed since people could put together homemade Pong consoles in their garage... that's before the cost of the games that actually make use of the hardware...

OneTime said:

The next generation of games consoles will be whatever Nvidia/AMD put in their top-end GPUs. The costs of developing this technology is becoming insane. It's only by putting the chips in console and the PC market that it can be justified.

A long time has passed since people could put together homemade Pong consoles in their garage... that's before the cost of the games that actually make use of the hardware...

NVIDIA can drop gaming tomorrow. Most of their silicon is made for AI cards (H100/H200), this is where the silicon is going and is making them tons of money. Using consoles and PC's is kind of irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.