By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Do you think there will be another Xbox console after Series X/S? (Next-Gen Console, Not revision)

Will there be another Xbox console gen after the Series X/S?

Yes 60 74.07%

No, Xbox Series X/S will ... 21 25.93%

Total:81
curl-6 said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Killer and exclusive games.

One of the reasons I didn't purchase an Xbox Series is because I can play almost all their games day 1 on PC.

True, but not everyone can afford a PC that can play AAA games, and PS games also come to PC these days.

I still think there's an audience for an Xbox console if they could just provide desirable games.

Well, they could at least hold the PC ports and let some big games as Xbox exclusives for some time. The PC community is huge, and that would make them consider purchasing an Xbox.

And there's no guarantee that every Sony game will be on PC. Spider-Man 2, The Last of Us Part II and other big titles are still only available on Playstation. They may release them on Steam, but it will take some time. A long time in TLOU2 case.

But you know what? I think Microsoft is satisfied. They're probably more concerned about getting GamePass subscriptions, no matter if it's on Xbox or PC.

Around the Network
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
curl-6 said:

True, but not everyone can afford a PC that can play AAA games, and PS games also come to PC these days.

I still think there's an audience for an Xbox console if they could just provide desirable games.

Well, they could at least hold the PC ports and let some big games as Xbox exclusives for some time. The PC community is huge, and that would make them consider purchasing an Xbox.

And there's no guarantee that every Sony game will be on PC. Spider-Man 2, The Last of Us Part II and other big titles are still only available on Playstation. They may release them on Steam, but it will take some time. A long time in TLOU2 case.

But you know what? I think Microsoft is satisfied. They're probably more concerned about getting GamePass subscriptions, no matter if it's on Xbox or PC.

Spiderman 2 only just came out and TLOU2 just got its PS5 remaster, PC releases for both will probable be out this year or next.

I honestly kinda doubt MS is satisfied; a service like Gamepass needs a big install base to work and with Xbox on struggle street and PC possibly not picking up enough of the slack, it may not be sustainable.

These recent rumours of a big shakeup in their strategy suggest at the very least that they're not happy with how things are currently going.

Yup. I don't see them dropping the hardware immediately. Maybe another gen at least where they can wean off the importance of needing hardware.

A hard drop for next gen I think is actually detrimental to GP adoption.

Yes, but I don't think it will last long and I think MS will commit to multiplat releases of pretty much all their titles in about 2-4 years give or take.

They'll just release it as way for someone to play who specifically just wants MS games for whatever reason or needs a GamePass box and doesn't want to buy a PC.

I don't think they will be willing to subsidize it massively either, meaning it won't be sold at like a $150+/unit loss of something like that. I can see it becoming more like their Surface Tablets, which aren't cheap.

I also think to that end it basically is not going to sell very well. No one is going to buy that when they know they can get those same games eventually on other platforms and still get all the extra stuff those other platforms have. It's just something they will release for a small audience that wants it and it will fizzle out. 

Well that worked out well for SEGA... Wait, hold on...

Microsoft are just confused after they wasted $$$$$ buying all those studios who would have made their games on Xbox regardless.

Around the Network

Officially confirmed.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/459976/xbox-investing-in-the-next-generation-of-consoles/

Good news in my opinion; it will be nice to have options in the next generation.

I am curious what direction they will take with the next Xbox. There have been unconfirmed reports of the Switch-like hybrid SKU, which could be interesting. 

All in all, looks like all the "Xbox is dead" drama over the last few weeks was rather overblown. Not only are they not leaving hardware in the immediate future, but smaller titles coming to PS/Nintendo isn't that big of a deal; they already brought games like Ori 1/2 to Switch last gen.

Good outcome.

I think so and I believe the name will be Xbox 720. Because one thing Xbox has going for it is pushing the nostalgia.

BiON!@ 

I can see them making one more traditional box tho digital only and a cheaper smaller device. Handheld like a Deck or a streaming box. Maybe all 3.  I still suspect Game Pass will come to Switch 2 possibly. TBH by year's end I expect MS to discontinue the current Series X in favor of the all-digital version.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

method114 said:

It's already been leaked that they signed another contract with AMD so it's happening.

Nothing official until hit hits the shelves.  The M2 was finished and never released, the SNES CD was finished and never released, the N64 DD was finished did come out in Japan, but shouldn't have been released.   I do believe we will see one more Xbox generation, and it's probably the last chance for Xbox to gain ground in the console market.  If it sells 40 million again, it's all over.  I think the next Xbox will last a year or two longer than the Dreamcast, and that will be all she wrote. I do think it's going to be the Xbox's best 2-3 years it's ever had with a lot of consistent great games like the Dreamcast, but the consumer will decide they don't want the system.