By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Do you think there will be another Xbox console after Series X/S? (Next-Gen Console, Not revision)

Will there be another Xbox console gen after the Series X/S?

Yes 60 74.07%

No, Xbox Series X/S will ... 21 25.93%

Total:81

Just my 2 cents. Timed exclusives are stupid. I'm not buying a $500 console because I can't wait for 6 months. And when games hit PC later than consoles, I refuse to pay full price. Day 1 makes more sense. Many people are going to stay with consoles and those who are PC are going to leave regardless. I was exclusively console for decades and will not be going back. 4k, ultra settings and 80 to 120 fps from my cold dead hands.  But it is also a $3500 rig....  which most people aren't going to do.  I don't believe MS is losing xbox support because of PC ports...  but because their software is meh.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Just my 2 cents. Timed exclusives are stupid. I'm not buying a $500 console because I can't wait for 6 months. And when games hit PC later than consoles, I refuse to pay full price. Day 1 makes more sense. Many people are going to stay with consoles and those who are PC are going to leave regardless. I was exclusively console for decades and will not be going back. 4k, ultra settings and 80 to 120 fps from my cold dead hands.  But it is also a $3500 rig....  which most people aren't going to do.  I don't believe MS is losing xbox support because of PC ports...  but because their software is meh.  

Microsoft is literally the biggest game software company out there. Xbox is losing popularity because it has nothing that distinguishes it from PC, and little that does from Playstation.

PC's advantages over consoles are a lot more than just more capability that a few can afford. PC's with half the power of PS5 remain quite appealing.

Kyuu said:
Chrkeller said:

Microsoft is literally the biggest game software company out there. Xbox is losing popularity because it has nothing that distinguishes it from PC, and little that does from Playstation.

PC's advantages over consoles are a lot more than just more capability that a few can afford. PC's with half the power of PS5 remain quite appealing.

Biggest via M&A.  Not because their software is compelling.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Kyuu said:
curl-6 said:

I don't think timed exclusivity will be enough to compel many people to buy a console; if they know the games will eventually come to PS5, they'll buy that instead.

Releasing on PC is fine, some folks just prefer consoles and will never become PC gamers, the problem is that if you're in the market for a console there's little reason to choose Xbox any more.

Timed exclusivity against PC also makes sense for both the platform holder and the 3rd party publisher. If Sony starts mimicking Microsoft's PC support and release all their games day 1 on PC, PS5's sales would definitely decline just like Xbox One and Series XS.

It's true that "some" folks won't leave consoles anytime soon. But PC does appeal to a lot console gamers. There are millions of PC gamers who switched from consoles. Sony's PC support is slightly accelerating this, and a day and date support would accelerate it further. Nintendo refuses to support PC because they know it would hurt their console sales too. Modern PC is just too similar to modern consoles.

Yep and it would be particularly bad for Nintendo due to how weak their hardware is. Horizon Forbidden West just released and the vast majority of people who play it on PC aren't gonna have a significantly better experience than what people got with it on the PS5 a couple years ago, in fact for some the experience will be worse due to them being closer to the minimum requirements than recommended.

For Nintendo though even something as basic as 1080p 60 would be a significant improvement for many of their games so a PC version of something like TOTK would be a far better experience than the Switch version for most PC gamers.

Norion said:
Kyuu said:

Timed exclusivity against PC also makes sense for both the platform holder and the 3rd party publisher. If Sony starts mimicking Microsoft's PC support and release all their games day 1 on PC, PS5's sales would definitely decline just like Xbox One and Series XS.

It's true that "some" folks won't leave consoles anytime soon. But PC does appeal to a lot console gamers. There are millions of PC gamers who switched from consoles. Sony's PC support is slightly accelerating this, and a day and date support would accelerate it further. Nintendo refuses to support PC because they know it would hurt their console sales too. Modern PC is just too similar to modern consoles.

Yep and it would be particularly bad for Nintendo due to how weak their hardware is. Horizon Forbidden West just released and the vast majority of people who play it on PC aren't gonna have a significantly better experience than what people got with it on the PS5 a couple years ago, in fact for some the experience will be worse due to them being closer to the minimum requirements than recommended.

For Nintendo though even something as basic as 1080p 60 would be a significant improvement for many of their games so a PC version of something like TOTK would be a far better experience than the Switch version for most PC gamers.

Nintendo games like LM3 or BotW on a good gpu would be 4k 120 fps easily enough.  God that would be awesome.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Norion said:

Nintendo games like LM3 or BotW on a good gpu would be 4k 120 fps easily enough.  God that would be awesome.

Yeah even a pretty modest PC would be able to run games like that in a much higher resolution and frame rate without any trouble. It would get harder to do that with Switch 2 Nintendo games but even those would be easy to run well for any decent PC.

Norion said:
Kyuu said:

You might be right, but you can look at it from a different angle and conclude that PC support would actually hurt Nintendo the least. The vast majority of PCs aren't handheld. This gives the Switch a huge advantage that Playstation lacks.

It's not that clear which between Playstation and Nintendo hardware would be more affected by PC support, but I'd say it's Playstation due to lack of portability and weaker 1st party software. Portable PCs will gradually gain popularity, but they aren't replacing desktops anytime soon.

Kyuu said:
Norion said:

You might be right, but you can look at it from a different angle and conclude that PC support would actually hurt Nintendo the least. The vast majority of PCs aren't handheld. This gives the Switch a huge advantage that Playstation lacks.

It's not that clear which between Playstation and Nintendo hardware would be more affected by PC support, but I'd say it's Playstation due to lack of portability and weaker 1st party software. Portable PCs will gradually gain popularity, but they aren't replacing desktops anytime soon.

That's a good point though I still expect PC support would hurt Playstation hardware sales more since I don't expect that aspect fully makes up for the big gap in 1st party software appeal and 3rd party support.

However if Nintendo did start porting their games they would probably be a lot more conservative with it than Sony has been so maybe that would close the rest of the gap.

Kyuu said:
curl-6 said:

I don't think timed exclusivity will be enough to compel many people to buy a console; if they know the games will eventually come to PS5, they'll buy that instead.

Releasing on PC is fine, some folks just prefer consoles and will never become PC gamers, the problem is that if you're in the market for a console there's little reason to choose Xbox any more.

I feel like sharing releases with PS hurts MS a lot more than sharing it with PC due to the fact that PC as a platform can be intimidating to those who prefer the convenience of a console.

I have a gaming laptop for instance, but I only really use it to play stuff like Age of Empires, while most multiplats I still play on PS5 and Switch, just cos messing around with settings, drivers, etc is a pain in the arse I can't be bothered with. The barrier to entry is just that much higher on PC, especially in terms of cost if you want to play the latest AAA releases these days.

PS5 competes with Xbox a lot more directly than PC does; while their games being day 1 on PC has definitely weakened Xbox, the threat of all their first party games coming to other consoles is a much greater potential blow, one I expect will be fatal if they go down that road.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 April 2024

Chrkeller said:
Norion said:

Even with Emulation you can run BoTW at 4k60fps, and with extra/improved textures ect.
If Nintendo did a good port to pc, it would be much less demanding on pcs to run it like that.