By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

Ryuu96 said:
zorg1000 said:

It’s definitely a tricky situation running on the economy after two years of rising inflation & interest rates, while the economy is strong in a traditional sense (employment, GDP, real wages, stock market, etc) people just aren’t feeling it because of increased prices & borrowing costs.

I think that same poll said a large chuck of the population thinks we are also in a recession. There is a huge disconnect between perception & reality.

Biden & Democrats risk coming off as completely out of touch if they brag about things like the stock market while many Americans are struggling to afford groceries or feel like homeownership is out of reach.

Even with inflation cooling and interest rates possibly going down in the near future, it will probably take a few years of steady wage gains for people to truly feel like the economy is going strong.

This was what I was going to ask, how is the economy, cost of living, etc? I think I read a couple months ago that America is doing better than a lot of European countries but it still isn't great and I don't know how much has improved since but if there's still millions struggling with the cost of living, struggling to afford basic necessities such as food, bragging about the stock market over and over is just going to piss a lot of people off and come across as insensitive/out of touch.

By most traditional metrics (or at least the metrics Trump liked to brag about) the economy is just as strong/stronger than during the Trump years.

Unemployment Rate

2017-4.4%
2018-3.9%
2019-3.7%
2020-8.1%
2021-5.3%
2022-3.6%
2023-3.6%

Stock Market (after 41 months)

Trump-+29.9%
Biden-+30.6%

GDP Growth

2017-2.5%
2018-3.0%
2019-2.5%
2020- -2.2%
2021-5.8%
2022-1.9%
2023-2.5%

Wage Growth

2017-3.45%
2018-3.62%
2019-3.75%
2020-2.83%
2021-8.89%
2022-5.32%
2023-3.80%

Inflation Rate

2017-2.1%
2018-2.4%
2019-1.8%
2020-1.2%
2021-4.7%
2022-8.0%
2023-4.1%

Fed Interest Rate (beginning of year)

2017-0.5% to 0.75%
2018-1.25% to 1.50%
2019-2.25% to 2.50%
2020-1.50% to 1.75%
2021-1.50% to 1.75%
2022-1.50% to 1.75%
2023-4.25% to 4.50%
2024-5.25% to 5.50%

Employment, wages, GDP and the stock market have all seen better growth under Biden compared to Trump. However, inflation has eaten up most of the wage gains under Biden while wages were outpacing inflation under Trump. Also, interest rates increased significantly in order to tame inflation but that means mortgages, car loans & credit card payments are more expensive.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

So, this Project 2025 thing, anyone alarmed? Lol

PortisheadBiscuit said:

Terrified, which is why it would be nice if liberals had better strategy.

Most Americans think the economy is trash and violent crime has exploded.  Neither are true.  Violent crime has plummeted the last two decades.  But liberals act like we could be murdered at any moment.  An interesting fact, a bit over 50%, of gun deaths are suicides.  Talk to a normal liberal and odds are they have no idea.  Because liberals have awful messaging.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

JRPGfan said:
Chrkeller said:

Which makes you the minority.  Most people don't work that way.

Wtf? isn't that the entire point of democracy? To vote who you think best represent your own policy and gives proposals you think will benefit yourself or your country?

Why would you vote for someone, you would like to have a beer with?

"most people don't work that way" ???

That's just sad to read.. politics in the US are so messed up.

Yeah, this might be the point. But thing is: there are always people drawn to power, and these people tried to change things, mostly in trying to paint politics as boring or removed from actual problems. In actuality politics is about things that affects people (otherwise it doesn't become politics). But if you ask people, most say that politicians need to decide stuff, because it is too complicated for normal people. Hence they assume they don't understand it and vote for someone they trust instead. And looking trustworthy is much more easily faked than looking competent. The downside is, that in result the politicians attack each other trustworthyness, so instead the struggle became about: "Vote for me, because the other guy is worse than me." Which is a sorry state of things.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Chrkeller said:
sundin13 said:

Sure, but I'm not voting based on messaging. I'm not voting for the guy I want to have a beer with or who I think is the best speaker. I'm voting based on policy and proposals. 

Which makes you the minority.  Most people don't work that way.

He is not in the minority.    It's just not lucrative to present rational thinking as the norm... but it is and we will put this foolishness to an end and we won't be making a bunch of noise when we do it.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
zorg1000 said:

It’s definitely a tricky situation running on the economy after two years of rising inflation & interest rates, while the economy is strong in a traditional sense (employment, GDP, real wages, stock market, etc) people just aren’t feeling it because of increased prices & borrowing costs.

I think that same poll said a large chuck of the population thinks we are also in a recession. There is a huge disconnect between perception & reality.

Biden & Democrats risk coming off as completely out of touch if they brag about things like the stock market while many Americans are struggling to afford groceries or feel like homeownership is out of reach.

Even with inflation cooling and interest rates possibly going down in the near future, it will probably take a few years of steady wage gains for people to truly feel like the economy is going strong.

This was what I was going to ask, how is the economy, cost of living, etc? I think I read a couple months ago that America is doing better than a lot of European countries but it still isn't great and I don't know how much has improved since but if there's still millions struggling with the cost of living, struggling to afford basic necessities such as food, bragging about the stock market over and over is just going to piss a lot of people off and come across as insensitive/out of touch.

It varies month by month, inflation rate.
In march it was 3.4% in the US, and 2.6% in the EU.

You would need to look at it over a longer periode to make much sense of things.
America doesn't have to deal with Russian messing with gas/oil.... affecting them.
So it makes sense by that alone, that they would be doing slightly better.

I know intrest rates are much higher in the US.
Like 5-6% vs ~4% in EU.

Take a 5year look and compair:

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/inflation-cpi

vs

https://tradingeconomics.com/european-union/inflation-rate

You can see both "spiked" around the same time, in 2022, however EU spiked upto 11,5% while the US spiked at like 9.1%.
The US dropped its inflation slightly faster than the EU, and reached 3.5-4% and seems to have platoded.
Meanwhile the EU dropped it slowly, but its gone down lower, to 2,5-2,7% or so (and its only that high because of a few countries that arnt doing as well) (like in denmark its currently ~0.8%)

Over the same periode, I suspect both are equally poor off, from inflation.
If things keep going as they are, overtime the lower levelled off EU inflation would probably be better though.

I think the higher intrestrates in the US, probably hurt more currently as well.
If you have loans or are planning on buying a house or such.

PortisheadBiscuit said:

I had to google it... to know what that even was.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_2025

"Established in 2022, the project aims to recruit tens of thousands of conservatives to the District of Columbia to replace existing federal civil servants—whom some Republicans characterize as part of the "deep state"—and to further the objectives of the next Republican president.[4] It adopts a maximalist version of the unitary executive theory, a disputed interpretation of Article II of the Constitution of the United States,[5][6] which asserts that the president has absolute power over the executive branch upon inauguration.[3][7]"

It sounds like its aim is to destroy the "power checks" that keep a president from being a dictator.
Yes thats a real issue imo.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donald-trumps-history-adolf-hitler-nazi-writings-analysis/story?id=105810745

Says he has never read 'Mein Kampf, but basically quotes it word for word.

"Trump's denial that he had read Hitler's memoir came after he has made a series of incendiary remarks in recent weeks referring to his political opponents as "vermin" and saying illegal immigrants are "poisoning the blood of our country.""

Theres been rumors he has the book on his night stand, by his bed... at one point.
Im not sure you can take him at his word when he goes "I've never read that".

Imo Trump is a Demagogue.

"A demagogue (/ˈdɛməɡɒɡ/; from Greek δημαγωγός, a popular leader, a leader of a mob, from δῆμος, people, populace, the commons + ἀγωγός leading, leader),[1] or rabble-rouser,[2][3] is a political leader in a democracy who gains popularity by arousing the common people against elites, especially through oratory that whips up the passions of crowds, appealing to emotion by scapegoating out-groups, exaggerating dangers to stoke fears, lying for emotional effect, or other rhetoric that tends to drown out reasoned deliberation and encourage fanatical popularity.[4] Demagogues overturn established norms of political conduct, or promise or threaten to do so."   - Wiki

And has a narcissist disorder.....    Hes crazy enough to try and take power, to rule by force if needed.

Look at what happend January 6, where his supporters riled up by him, stormed United states captial, trying to overthrow the Congress.
It was basically a failed
Coup d'état (coup attempt).

If he wins fairly, I could see him dis-solving all power checks, and ruleing like a king.

I don't see why people would vote for him.
However bad the other guy might appear to you, he can't be worse than Trump.

Last edited by JRPGfan - 3 days ago

I think people do care about messaging, but I think people care more about events. People care about the economy and abortion rights. 

A lot of people care about Ukraine and Palestine.

Which of these things will push people over.

If I were American I'd vote on whichever one stops WW3 or at least delays it/tries to prevent it. Biden to me seems like an accelerationist (or him party cause he is certainly not in control) but that's just me. Really wish you lot had more to choose from than these two gobshites another time around.

the-pi-guy said:

I think people do care about messaging, but I think people care more about events. People care about the economy and abortion rights. 

A lot of people care about Ukraine and Palestine.

Which of these things will push people over.

Self interest. The economy and a fear of WW3 is what'll push people over.