By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

the-pi-guy said:

Chrkeller said:

And got to love it when you started using "legal" to only realize I never said anything about law.  Got yourself good on that one.

Fact is you misread what I said and stepped in it.  The question is, will you own it?

You said it was a government regulation in your second post. 

>you are 100% not suppose to change your tire. It is a government regulation.

Implies it is illegal to change your tire. 

A government recommendation isn't the same thing as a government regulation. 

Government regulates the test.  The answer per the test is call an operator....  just like I said.

Don't put words in my mouth.  I never said anything about legality.  

I love it when people are wrong but are too immature to admit it.

Either way, this horse is dead.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Ryuu96 said:

And Brits casually talking about changing a flat tyre.

Like I really don't understand the issue.

We can change our flat tyres (as long as it's not on the motorway) but if it's a dangerous situation, if you're unsure, call an emergency service to come and replace the tyre for you. It's a recommendation but if I got a flat and pulled into frigging Tesco's parking lot, I could repair the tyre myself.

Why is this part of the Highway Code apparently a bad thing?

Never said it was.  Just like I never said it was illegal.  I said it was different and caught me by surprise.  You overreacted, took it personally and picked a fight without reading my words.

That pretty much sums up the situation.

Heavily implied it was illegal by saying it's government regulation and we are "100% NOT SUPPOSE TO CHANGE A TYRE" Lol.

I was just correcting an inaccurate statement and providing further clarification.

But okay there's absolutely zero issue with this part of the Highway Code...Good to know  

You definitely got defensive tho but it's cool.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 20 May 2024

Ryuu96 said:
Chrkeller said:

Never said it was.  Just like I never said it was illegal.  I said it was different and caught me by surprise.  You overreacted, took it personally and picked a fight without reading my words.

That pretty much sums up the situation.

Heavily implied it was illegal by saying it's government regulation and we are "100% NOT SUPPOSE TO CHANGE A TYRE" Lol.

I was just correcting an inaccurate statement and providing further clarification.

But okay there's absolutely zero issue with this part of the Highway Code...Good to know  

You inferred.  I didn't imply anything.  If I wanted to say it was illegal I would have said as such.  

And per the test, and I took it, you are not supposed to change the tire.  The correct answer is call an operator.  I got a 49/50.  The DVSA is a government agency.  Everything I said was 100% accurate.  

No idea why it bothered you two so much.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 20 May 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

Government regulates the test.  The answer per the test is call an operator....  just like I said.

Don't put words in my mouth.  I never said anything about legality.  

Either way, this horse is dead.  

I'm not putting words in your mouth, we're fundamentally disagreeing about what words mean.

If someone says it is a government regulation you're not supposed to drink water directly out of a mug, I would interpret that to mean that it's illegal to drink water directly out of a mug. 

I wouldn't consider that person correct if they came out and showed that the government recommends using straws instead, because they're safer or something. 

We're both right and we're both wrong. 

By your definition of "government regulation", you are correct. And by ours, you are wrong.  

We can act like adults and recognize that we're talking about different things. 

Chrkeller said:

Or we can act like children and brag about how smart and awesome we are.  

Chrkeller said:
Ryuu96 said:

You inferred.  I didn't imply anything.  If I wanted to say it was illegal I would have said as such.  

And per the test, and I took it, you are not supposed to change the tire.  The correct answer is call an operator.  I got a 49/50.   

I asked a genuine question earlier, are you sure the test didn't say "On the motorway".

Because seeing how people casually speak about changing their own tyre in the UK, how Pi's driving friend didn't know, how the Gov Website essentially say you can change the tyre yourself, as long as it's not putting yourself or others in danger (I.E. use common sense where you pullover) then people don't really give a shit, including the Government, Highway Code and UK Drivers.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Ryuu96 said:

What You Said: "You are 100% not suppose to change your tire. It is a government regulation."

You are not "100%" not suppose to change your tyre, only if it's unsafe to do so, it is literally not government regulation.

There's a quote straight from the UK's Government Website saying you CAN change a flat tyre yourself.

Correct.  They recommend calling an operator and not changing the tire yourself.  I never said doing so was illegal.  You just can't read and picked a fight without knowledge.  Clicking change tire on the government test is the wrong answer.  

Thank for proving I'm right.  

Remind me when did you get a UK license and took the test?  Right, you haven't.

Edit 

I got a 49/50 on my test and 58 points on the hazard portion.  Change tire is the wrong answer.  You are suppose to call an operator.  

Dude you absolutely insinuated that it was illegal to charge your own tire, not that it was a recommendation.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

In fact, I'm now convinced it said "on the motorway"

Which is exactly what I pointed out, it's illegal to do repairs to your vehicle on the frigging motorway

I don't even know if it's illegal, it's just not recommended at least, on the motorway.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 20 May 2024

Ryuu96 said:

In fact, I'm now convinced it said "on the motorway"

Which is exactly what I pointed out, it's illegal to do repairs to your vehicle on the frigging motorway

I don't even know if it's illegal, it's just not recommended at least, on the motorway.

No, no.  That isn't true.  That means I was right.  

And I found that odd.  In the US we change tires on highways all time.  

Not changing a tire on a highway was a foreign concept to me.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

I was rather curious, because I've never heard of a place that didn't allow you to change your tires.

I was convinced you were wrong because I found a UK reddit thread about changing tires

Do you think people only ask questions when they're bothered? 

I was curious if there was some kind of misunderstanding on your part or my part, or if there was just something I hadn't heard of before. 

Chrkeller said:

I'm calling BS with your friend story.  

I got bothered when you got weirdly confrontational like 3 posts in.  

And started bragging about how you're an expert.

Despite the fact that I think if I asked 10 people, 9 of them would take "government regulation" to mean it's a law and there are punishments of some kind if you broke it. Despite the fact that's apparently not how you were using the phrase. 

the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

I was rather curious, because I've never heard of a place that didn't allow you to change your tires.

I was convinced you were wrong because I found a UK reddit thread about changing tires

Do you think people only ask questions when they're bothered? 

I was curious if there was some kind of misunderstanding on your part or my part, or if there was just something I hadn't heard of before. 

Chrkeller said:

I'm calling BS with your friend story.  

I got bothered when you got weirdly confrontational like 3 posts in.  

And started bragging about how you're an expert.

Despite the fact that I think if I asked 10 people, 9 of them would take "government regulation" to mean it's a law and there are punishments of some kind if you broke it. Despite the fact that's apparently not how you were using the phrase. 

"On a motorway, never attempt to change a wheel yourself. Always use the emergency telephones to call for assistance."

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED