By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

Chrkeller said:

"On a motorway, never attempt to change a wheel yourself. Always use the emergency telephones to call for assistance."

Thanks, I wish you had posted this 2 pages ago, instead of getting weirdly defensive. 



Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

"On a motorway, never attempt to change a wheel yourself. Always use the emergency telephones to call for assistance."

Thanks, I wish you had posted this 2 pages ago, instead of getting weirdly defensive. 

Sure.  I wish you would give people with experience the benefit of the doubt, instead of assuming everyone is wrong but you. 



i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Honestly the suggestions seem common sense based, pulled up somewhere off the main road and you'll be fine, don't stop and whip out a mini mechanic shop in the middle of the road, Lol. I'm not sure still if it's illegal specifically on the motorway or not or if it's only a strong recommendation.

===

Changing a tyre on the motorway is not recommended, as it can be dangerous due to the high speed and volume of traffic. If you have no other choice, it is important to pull over as far as possible onto the hard shoulder, turn on your hazard lights, and exit the vehicle from the passenger side, away from the traffic.

Contact a breakdown service if possible.

Where can I legally change my tyre in the UK? | Blackcircles.com

And I've just went through a few forums of British drivers, some had a debate if it was illegal, they mostly agreed it wasn't, then another Reddit UK thread asking why nobody repairs their tyres themselves anymore on the motorway.

Can no one on the motorway change a wheel anymore? : r/britishproblems (reddit.com)

Some dude in here changed his wheel by himself on the motorway with the cops behind him to keep him safe so...likely not illegal.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 20 May 2024

Never seen a major election with two candidates this terrible, don't think anyone is envious of America's choices here.



Based on the dudes comment in the Reddit thread.

I did it once, I had a flat, which of course, was the driver's side. It was just coming out of a bend, and so I was not visible until you were close to me.

I was changing a wheel less than 1m away from the first lane and HGVs were zooming past at 55mph.

I used the the yellow phone to call for motorway help and they sent a police car to sit 200m behind me with the lights on to warn other drivers. Fuck that, I could actually feel the lorries going past.

And the recommendation in the drivers test.

"On a motorway, never attempt to change a wheel yourself. Always use the emergency telephones to call for assistance."

===

I'm now further convinced that this isn't saying "YOU MUST CALL SOMEONE ELSE TO REPLACE YOUR WHEEL" but that it's more about calling the POLICE for assistance to either put hazards up or flash their lights to warn other drivers and keep you safe whilst you conduct the repairs if you have the means.

I don't actually think in this context that assistance necessarily means car mechanics, the AA or whatever, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 20 May 2024

Around the Network

This has been the best debate in the thread, very informative, I'm now going to take my driving test.



Chrkeller said:

Sure.  I wish you would give people with experience the benefit of the doubt, instead of assuming everyone is wrong but you. 

I don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Not even myself. I double and triple check myself all the time. Doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with something. I'm going to double check.

Sometimes it's hard to pull something up on google if I don't know what I'm looking for exactly, so I ask for more information. 

People make mistakes, they misunderstand things, they misremember things, otherwise they wouldn't be people. Even experts disagree and make mistakes about things. People have to read critically, and question even themselves so that they make fewer mistakes. Even disregarding people making mistakes. Information changes. Laws change. New things happen. 

Me asking you a question is not because I think I'm smarter than you. It's because it's a fundamental part of how mistakes get avoided. 

Besides that, you're definitely projecting here. You're clearly the one who believes they are smarter than everyone else.  

Chrkeller said:

Thank for proving I'm right.  

Remind me when did you get a UK license and took the test?  Right, you haven't.

I got a 49/50 on my test and 58 points on the hazard portion.  Change tire is the wrong answer.  You are suppose to call an operator.  

Chrkeller said:

I've taken it, you haven't.  DVSA, a government agency, recommends calling an operator and to not change a tire....  just like I said.

I'm not defensive.  I'm laughing.  I love it when someone has zero experience but thinks their an expert, takes the time to prove me right.  

Chrkeller said:

I got a 49/50.  The DVSA is a government agency.  Everything I said was 100% accurate.  



the-pi-guy said:
Chrkeller said:

Sure.  I wish you would give people with experience the benefit of the doubt, instead of assuming everyone is wrong but you. 

I don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt. Not even myself. I double and triple check myself all the time. Doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with something. I'm going to double check.

Sometimes it's hard to pull something up on google if I don't know what I'm looking for exactly, so I ask for more information. 

People make mistakes, they misunderstand things, they misremember things, otherwise they wouldn't be people. Even experts disagree and make mistakes about things. People have to read critically, and question even themselves so that they make fewer mistakes. Even disregarding people making mistakes. Information changes. Laws change. New things happen. 

Me asking you a question is not because I think I'm smarter than you. It's because it's a fundamental part of how mistakes get avoided. 

Besides that, you're definitely projecting here. You're clearly the one who believes they are smarter than everyone else.  

Chrkeller said:

Thank for proving I'm right.  

Remind me when did you get a UK license and took the test?  Right, you haven't.

I got a 49/50 on my test and 58 points on the hazard portion.  Change tire is the wrong answer.  You are suppose to call an operator.  

Chrkeller said:

I've taken it, you haven't.  DVSA, a government agency, recommends calling an operator and to not change a tire....  just like I said.

I'm not defensive.  I'm laughing.  I love it when someone has zero experience but thinks their an expert, takes the time to prove me right.  

Chrkeller said:

I got a 49/50.  The DVSA is a government agency.  Everything I said was 100% accurate.  

Lazy excuse for poor behavior.

And yeah..  being challenged by people who have literally zero knowledge and zero experience....  but again, I'm sure you have another lazy excuse for your poor behavior.

And let's be honest.  I was in fact right.  

On a motorway, never attempt to change a wheel yourself. Always use the emergency telephones to call for assistance."



i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:

Lazy excuse for poor behavior.

And yeah..  being challenged by people who have literally zero knowledge and zero experience....  but again, I'm sure you have another lazy excuse for your poor behavior.

And let's be honest.  I was in fact right.  

On a motorway, never attempt to change a wheel yourself. Always use the emergency telephones to call for assistance."

My...God...Dude...Just stop and move on, Lol.

You NEVER said anything about it being specific to the MOTORWAY.

You Said: "If you get a flat you aren't suppose to change the tire yourself. You are suppose to call a government agency to do it for safety."

To which others (myself) provided clarification that you can change your flat tire depending on the circumstances and it's not always recommended to call assistance. It's also incorrect to say "You are suppose to call a government agency to do it for safety" because you can both A. Call the cops and still do it yourself (NOT THE COPS DO IT) which I literally provided you an example of a Brit doing in this very thread and B. If you can't do the repair yourself, it does not have to be a government agency, there are plenty of privately owned car companies in the UK which do these repairs.

You said that the UK is an example of the above when it comes to replacing a tire.

Pi-Guy questioned you on it and it was YOU who got defensive with the whole "You are 100% wrong. How many years have you lived in Europe?" condescending bullshit. You then said: "One of the questions in the test is what to do when you get a flat.  You call someone, you are 100% not suppose to change your tire.  It is a government regulation.  I remember because I clicked "change your tire" and got it wrong on my test."

Again, nowhere did you say on the motorway

Again, you were wrong that "You are 100% not suppose to change your tire" because you CAN change your tire depending on the circumstances (even on the motorway as that Reddit poster literally said he had a cop behind him as he replaced his tire). You were wrong that is was a government regulation (I seriously don't care how you try to spin this one, a regulation implies against the rules, a law, etc.).

You was then "I call BS on your friends story" to Pi-Guy and all confident in your assertion, to which I replied with clarification and you then got even more defensive, likely because of your "I'll bet you every penny I have. I'm not wrong" extreme confidence. I then asked "are you sure it didn't say the motorway" and you didn't even respond to that question but continued to get defensive. You got all "hur dur reading comprehension" on us and then started accusing OTHERS of being defensive. Being extremely cocky and arrogant in your intelligence over others.

You could just admit you was mistaken, move on but you haven't and THAT has annoyed me, just fucking drop it dude, my God. You're not doing yourself any favours, you're just looking like an extremely condescending and arrogant person, it is you who is getting defensive because you are so damn arrogant you got your back up at others providing a little more clarification to your statements!

You're coming across as someone who thinks he's better than everyone else.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 20 May 2024

Chrkeller said:

Lazy excuse for poor behavior.

And yeah..  being challenged by people who have literally zero knowledge and zero experience....  but again, I'm sure you have another lazy excuse for your poor behavior.

Sure in your world where you are really awesome, it is an insult for your great intelligence and experience to be questioned.

Personally in my world, your arrogance is the bad behavior. 

Chrkeller said:

And let's be honest.  I was in fact right.  

On a motorway, never attempt to change a wheel yourself. Always use the emergency telephones to call for assistance."

Sure let's pretend that's what you said in your first post. 

The UK government doesn't want you to change your tires sometimes.

Totally the same thing as a government regulation to prevent people from ever changing their flat tires.