By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Biden vs Trump 2024 Political Platforms, Policies and Issues

Biggerboat1 said:
zorg1000 said:

I called it a gotcha because it seemed like you were fishing for a contradiction with my stance. I never said anything like more left=better or anybody to the right of me is selfish.

I also don’t feel like I’ve been “hurling insults”, I said one of his arguments was hypocritical and that he displayed a “fuck you, got mine” mentality. That’s really not that extreme.

As for good faith arguments, I’m not sure the person who generalizes people struggling with student debt as getting dumb degrees and lacking personal responsibility is really open to persuasion to begin with.

This all just comes off as overly sensitive tone policing.

I wasn't fishing for a contradiction, I actually think it's healthy to have an opinion or two that don't fit the consensus of a person's particular political group as it shows they're critically thinking about each individual topic, rather than just subscribing wholesale to the stance of whatever 'tribe' they see themselves as part of.

I'm not saying this applies to you btw, I'm just explaining that I wasn't trying to catch you out in any way.

I believe you also used 'selfish', but fair play, maybe 'hurling insults' is a bit on the hyperbolic side.

I think you're conflating 'bad faith' with what what you would perceive as 'uninformed'. If you think Chrkeller's stance is wrong then why not just provide evidence to the contrary or a counter argument, without the aspersions?

Anyway, I don't see much road left in this particular convo. As you can see from my post history, I'm not going around tut-tut'ing everyone for being mean or 'tone policing'. If someone is using unconstructive language in a debate about what process node the Switch 2 GPU will be manufactured on I don't really care.

However, I see politics as much more important & it truly terrifies me that the US could feasibly elect Trump again. I obviously don't live in the US but the UK is very much down-stream from a lot of what happens in the States. I'd love to see the left trying in general to be a bit more charitable/tolerant of divergent views (within reason of course) and bring people over, rather than condescend & risk driving people to MAGA.

Most of the people being "driven to MAGA" are using that as an excuse. They were never going to vote for Biden anyway, especially if their reason for voting Trump was because someone was mean to them.

The right says all kinds of horrible things. Here in the United States, we have a Republican Senator telling his constituents to use deadly violence against people they don't agree with. Yet the Republican Party is never called out on rhetoric that could drive people into the arms of Biden. They double down on it. 

Around the Network

Trump-Speak get money for self speak nothing happens and screams something
Biden- Politican who will do what he has done for the last 80 years.

BiON!@ 

Trump has been given an incredible amount of leeway in all of his criminal and civil cases and he yet still cries that he is the victim. I've never seen anyone gaslight to this level nor seen people ignore objective reality so much to believe it.

i feel like this is just a debate forum lol. (or rather, an argument forum…nobody’s debating in good faith, otherwise they’d be willing to concede that yes, you’re vote holds no power in the USA, because at the end of the day, there’ll always be a genocide in Gaza, meatgrinders in Ukraine and likely Taiwan, our infrastructure will continue to decay, and no lasting progress will truly be made to lift people from impoverished communities.)

All I want is for schools to be funded a little bit better, is this too much to ask for? But no! Let’s talk about the Hunter Biden, or let’s talk about how bad the other side is!…instead of enforcing policy. :)

firebush03 said:

i feel like this is just a debate forum lol. (or rather, an argument forum…nobody’s debating in good faith, otherwise they’d be willing to concede that yes, you’re vote holds no power in the USA, because at the end of the day, there’ll always be a genocide in Gaza, meatgrinders in Ukraine and likely Taiwan, our infrastructure will continue to decay, and no lasting progress will truly be made to lift people from impoverished communities.)

All I want is for schools to be funded a little bit better, is this too much to ask for? But no! Let’s talk about the Hunter Biden, or let’s talk about how bad the other side is!…instead of enforcing policy. :)

Yep, nobody’s debating in good faith…….says the guy who claims our votes don’t matter and both sides are the same.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

Yep, nobody’s debating in good faith…….says the guy who claims our votes don’t matter and both sides are the same.

dinosaur man looking for a reason to care: … (he can’t find a reason so he just acts like there’s stuff to actually care about).

You tell me when me voting changes the Ukrainian, Israeli, Taiwanese situation. ;)

firebush03 said:
zorg1000 said:

dinosaur man looking for a reason to care: … (he can’t find a reason so he just acts like there’s stuff to actually care about).

You tell me when me voting changes the Ukrainian, Israeli, Taiwanese situation. ;)

I mean...yeah

It doesn't change like a light switch, but we are definitely dealing with different shades between the two candidates.

firebush03 said:
zorg1000 said:

Seeing how aid packages for these regions probably would have been passed a long time ago if Dems controlled the House, yeah, I'd say voting matters.

TallSilhouette said:
firebush03 said:

Seeing how aid packages for these regions probably would have been passed a long time ago if Dems controlled the House, yeah, I'd say voting matters.

(…Aid packages? Why not just leave the regions?)

firebush03 said:
TallSilhouette said:

(…Aid packages? Why not just leave the regions?)

Define 'leave'. To my knowledge we don't have any significant troops on the ground in these regions (if at all). Leave as in, "leave them alone"? If you want Ukraine and Taiwan to no longer exist as sovereign nations then I guess 'leaving' is...an option, if a terrible one. Israel I guess we could 'leave', but frankly we're on the wrong side of that conflict and should be more concerned with stopping the genocide of Palestinians than arming Israel to do just that. Again, sending aid to the right places would be far more ethical than just letting authoritarians steamroll sovereign peoples.