By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Avatar: The Last Airbender Trailer

At long last we have a proper trailer. The original series is one of the best of all time in my book. As adaptations go this has potential. Netflix seems to be getting better at them and I hope this one delivers. This season appears to cover the major beats of Book 1 and I like what I see so far.

What do you think?

Around the Network

I was going to make a thread, but thanks for making one so I didn't have to.
I'm still cautious for several reasons...
1. It's virtually impossible to match or top the animated OG. Because of that, a remake (even in live-action) seems questionable no matter what.
2. I know fans take too much stock in canon (see Star Wars), but even the new stuff to the lore this show adds probably won't be canon. Mike and Bryan were only involved in the very early stages and have been gone since at least August 2020.
3. I don't know how to feel about Azula in Book One. In the original, she only showed up twice for a few seconds with no lines. Book 2 was her standard introduction. So maybe we'll get some good stuff for her character in Book One of this show, but it feels risky rocking the boat with the best villain.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

It's gonna be interesting ... But honestly, if you've seen the animated series before, there isn't really much a live action version could do on its own if it's just copying the same beats of the original.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Was pessimistic when it was first announced back in 2020 just because live action remakes of animated shows have a poor track record.

But the more and more I saw of this show w/ the cast and screenshots, the more optimistic I got.

Now I am fully bought in! This looks AMAZING!!!

It won’t be a one-to-one remake, nor should it be.

The OG animated show will always be there and depending on how good this turns out, Mike and Bryan may incorporate some aspects into their future projects they got cooking in Avatar Studios. 

Azula being featured right out of the gate is certainly a change. But one I think has much potential. Especially if they go all in on trying to give her a redemption arc. She was the best villain in the show.

But what is often forgotten about her is that she was only 14, one of the youngest members of the cast. For as terrifying and amazing as she was, she was still a kid. And that is entirely because of the influence of her God awful father and the absence of any legit positive role model in her life. 

Zuko may have resented her for what Ozai said: “She was born lucky, you were lucky to be born.”

But if you ask me, Zuko was the lucky one! He had Iroh and Ursa to love him, nurture him, and guide him down the right path, especially during his darkest and worst moments. Without that, he would have turned out just as bad as Azula, maybe worse. She didn’t have that. And that’s why, as amazing and just incredible as Zuko’s redemption arc was, I truly believe Azula’s could have been even better.

For this version to stand on its own and truly separate itself while still honoring the OG version, it has to be willing to take some risks here and there and explore some things that the OG show wasn’t willing to or just didn’t have the time to. A proper Azula redemption arc would be one of them!

It looks fine for what it is... But I honestly don't care much for these kinds of adaptations in general. As someone who really likes animation, going from animation to live action is at best a lateral move, and usually it's going to be better in the original medium. Even the live action adaptations I've liked, I've just thought, "well that was fine, but I can't see myself ever watching that instead of the original."

Around the Network

Pleasantly surprised for now. At least visually they've knocked it out of the park from what I've seen. Even the slight remixing of the original theme track warmed my soul. Main concerns would be how they plan to compress/reorganise Book 1 into 8 (somewhat longer) episodes, and how they plan to translate the humour and style that relied a lot on animation tricks into a live-action series; but those unique challenges and differences are what give these adaptions potential to re-create something special for fans. So even if I didn't have much optimism to begin with, I won't just outright dismiss the idea if they're willing to actually create it with the right mindset.

Shaunodon said:

Pleasantly surprised for now. At least visually they've knocked it out of the park from what I've seen. Even the slight remixing of the original theme track warmed my soul. Main concerns would be how they plan to compress/reorganise Book 1 into 8 (somewhat longer) episodes, and how they plan to translate the humour and style that relied a lot on animation tricks into a live-action series; but those unique challenges and differences are what give these adaptions potential to re-create something special for fans. So even if I didn't have much optimism to begin with, I won't just outright dismiss the idea if they're willing to actually create it with the right mindset.

I didn't realize the number of episodes and that is a little concerning at the very least. With the intro and credits, each episode of the original show was right around 23 minutes. 20 x 23 = 460 (7 hours, 40 minutes)

If each of the 8 episodes is around 45 minutes (could be a little shorter or a little closer to 50), that's 360 minutes (6 hours). 

Admittedly, Book 1 of Avatar has a decent amount of filler, same with Book 3 (Book 2 was the tightest written). But a lot of the filler expands the lore and character development. Book 1 I'm open-minded to having a shorter runtime than the animated original, but Book 2 and 3 should be as long as or longer.

Sozin's Comet (the 4 episode series finale) could really stand to be 2 hours or longer instead of about 90 minutes. For the remake, it could be one 2 hour event or two hour-long episodes. The Day of Black Sun could also stand to be an hour or longer instead of about 45 minutes. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I dont hate it. Looks alright. I guess it loosk better than I expected. I assume theres gonna be changes from the source material - as its normal - I just hope those changes arent aggressive or deviate too much from it. I dunno, I guess its a fine trailer.

Trailer looks better than I thought.

BiON!@