By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo users only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo systems" How true was this?

Mar1217 said:
Chrkeller said:

Call it a million.  It doesn't change the point.  Compare it to mario Kart, ac, Odyssey, etc. 

If there were money to made by switch ports, third party would do it.  There is a reason they don't.  

Witcher 3 launched in 2015 on the ps4 and 2019 on the switch.  In 2019 the ps4 version out sold the switch version 2.5 to 1.....  despite being on the ps4 for years and being new on the switch.  

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3s-sales-by-system-how-the-game-has-sold-o/1100-6475832/

Kinda dumb to suggest money can't be done on the Switch for the arbitrary reason that it can't match up the success of it's first party games.

There's plenty of 3rd games or Indies that a rode their identity and trend on the system this whole generation. And success doesn't need to be translated by a million sold if the budget in question for the porting aren't too high.

Case in point, all the AA games Square Enix pumped on the Switch this generation which themselves consider to be a successful endeavor since they continue to produce those.

Witcher sold the million which probably made a good profit margin over the porting cost of the whole thing.

Hogwarts Legacy which just released has been making excellent trends on the sales chart too.

So no I disagree, there's definitely money to be done for 3rd party on the Switch. 

It's just that the metrics you use to gage a success are not reasonable.

Yeah, this. Not every game needs to sell 5m+ to be considered a success. CD Projekt Red themselves said they were satisfied with how The Witcher 3 performed on Switch, even though it sold way less than it did on PC/PS4/Xbox.

I just want to add that yes, there's money to be made putting games on Switch otherwise third parties would've abandoned it like they did with the Wii U, and that's not the case.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Chrkeller said:

Call it a million.  It doesn't change the point.  Compare it to mario Kart, ac, Odyssey, etc. 

If there were money to made by switch ports, third party would do it.  There is a reason they don't.  

Witcher 3 launched in 2015 on the ps4 and 2019 on the switch.  In 2019 the ps4 version out sold the switch version 2.5 to 1.....  despite being on the ps4 for years and being new on the switch.  

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3s-sales-by-system-how-the-game-has-sold-o/1100-6475832/

Kinda dumb to suggest money can't be done on the Switch for the arbitrary reason that it can't match up the success of it's first party games.

There's plenty of 3rd games or Indies that a rode their identity and trend on the system this whole generation. And success doesn't need to be translated by a million sold if the budget in question for the porting aren't too high.

Case in point, all the AA games Square Enix pumped on the Switch this generation which themselves consider to be a successful endeavor since they continue to produce those.

Witcher sold the million which probably made a good profit margin over the porting cost of the whole thing.

Hogwarts Legacy which just released has been making excellent trends on the sales chart too.

So no I disagree, there's definitely money to be done for 3rd party on the Switch. 

Indie type games are cheaper to develop and easier to port.  I'm was talking about big budget AAA games.  It doesn't make sense to focus on a console that will offer a small percent of sales.  Just economics.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

@Chrkeller 

I guess they simply dont know how companies operate.

It is not about making *any* profit at all afterall, but about not making enough enough profit to warrant the investment.

Resources are limited after all.

In a world where there's unlimited time/money/personal, every game would be on Switch, but that is wishful thinking

and therefore they systematically skip it.

Spoiler!
Those who propagate "they dont like money?" act like simple minded, short sighted individuals, who lack a feeling for the entrepreneurial.

TeachMeHisty said:

@Chrkeller 

It is not about making *any* profit at all afterall, but about not making enough enough profit to warrant the investment.

In a world where there's unlimited time/money/personal, every game would be on Switch, but that is wishful thinking

Spoiler!
Those who propagate "they dont like money?" act like simple minded, short sighted individuals, who lack a feeling for the entrepreneurial.

Well said and thanks you.  AAA are massive investments, putting additional resources on AAA for faster release for sooner ROI makes more sense than making sure all consoles get a copy.  Faster ROI impacts financial reports, which influences stock prices, which dictates borrowing power for MnA and future investments.  Major corporations aren't interested in small dollars.  Indie companies are, which is why the Switch has a bunch of indies and few AAA.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Chrkeller said:

I'm not surprised third party sells poorly on Nintendo consoles. Third party is in the business of making money, there was always a logical reason why the Switch had poor 3rd party support.

I'm not convinced 3rd party for the switch 2 will be any better.  Developers go where the money is.  

Witcher 3 on the switch took a lot of effort and didn't even sell a million.  

You are conflating overall third party support with AAA third party support.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
TeachMeHisty said:

@Chrkeller 

Spoiler!

Well said and thanks you.  AAA are massive investments, putting additional resources on AAA for faster release for sooner ROI makes more sense than making sure all consoles get a copy.  Faster ROI impacts financial reports, which influences stock prices, which dictates borrowing power for MnA and future investments.  Major corporations aren't interested in small dollars.  Indie companies are, which is why the Switch has a bunch of indies and few AAA.  

All AAA companies had to start somewhere, they were originally Indie companies that had huge hits and continued to grow. We need to acknowledge the indie companies, because they may become a AAA.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Mar1217 said:
Chrkeller said:

He is not claiming it doesn't make money because it doesn't match the sales of 1st party games. He is just making the most undisputable claim that companies go for profit so they avoiding porting to Switch is evidence enough that it isn't profitable for them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shtinamin_ said:
Chrkeller said:

All AAA companies had to start somewhere, they were originally Indie companies that had huge hits and continued to grow. We need to acknowledge the indie companies, because they may become a AAA.

I don't think I ever saw a bigger strawman than this.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Shtinamin_ said:

I don't think I ever saw a bigger strawman than this.

Ok.
Honestly can you show me a AAA developer nowadays that didn't start out with an "indie-like" sized game? 

I do understand I said, "all" in my statement, and of course there are exceptions, but that doesn't mean we just ignore the indie developers.

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million)

I think people are over complicating the situation.

Option A: 100 million in revenue
Option B: 20 million in revenue

Companies will go Option A 90% of the time. Option B is only used over option A for long term brand equity building.

Where a company started out has no implications on where they are now.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC