By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Nintendo users only buy Nintendo games on Nintendo systems" How true was this?

Shadow1980 said:

Let's put it this way. Nintendo's own financial data indicates that first-party software sales are in any given quarter consistently between 70% to 90% of all software sales. That by itself should indicate how dependent Nintendo is on their own first-party output. While exclusives are still important for any console brand, they are absolutely the lifeblood of Nintendo consoles.

Also, let's look at it from a different angle. The list of best-selling games on the Switch is dominated by Nintendo titles. Here's every multi-million seller to date:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe57,010,000Nintendo
Animal Crossing: New Horizons43,380,000Nintendo
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate32,440,000Nintendo
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild31,150,000Nintendo
Super Mario Odyssey26,950,000Nintendo
Pokémon Sword and Shield26,020,000

The Pokémon Company &
Nintendo

Pokémon Scarlet and Violet23,230,000

The Pokémon Company &
Nintendo

Super Mario Party19,660,000Nintendo
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom19,500,000Nintendo
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe16,700,000Nintendo
Ring Fit Adventure15,380,000Nintendo
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!and Let's Go, Eevee!15,070,000

The Pokémon Company & Nintendo

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl15,060,000

The Pokémon Company &
Nintendo

Pokémon Legends: Arceus14,830,000

The Pokémon Company &
Nintendo

Splatoon 213,600,000Nintendo
Luigi's Mansion 312,820,000Nintendo
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury12,580,000Nintendo
Mario Party Superstars11,440,000Nintendo
Nintendo Switch Sports10,770,000Nintendo
Splatoon 310,670,000Nintendo
Super Mario 3D All-Stars9,070,000Nintendo
Super Mario Maker 28,420,000Nintendo
Monster Hunter Rise7,700,000Capcom
Kirby and the Forgotten Land6,960,000Nintendo
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening6,460,000Nintendo
Minecraft5,030,000
  • JP: Xbox Game Studios
  • NA/PAL: Mojang
Suika Game5,000,000Aladdin X
Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics4,640,000Nintendo
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze4,620,000Nintendo
Mario Tennis Aces4,500,000Nintendo
Kirby Star Allies4,380,000Nintendo
Super Mario Bros. Wonder4,300,000Nintendo
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD4,150,000Nintendo
Fire Emblem: Three Houses4,120,000Nintendo
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity4,000,000
  • JP: Koei Tecmo
  • NA/PAL: Nintendo
Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa Mo Teiban!4,000,000
  • JP: Konami
1-2-Switch3,740,000Nintendo
Paper Mario: The Origami King3,470,000Nintendo
Yoshi's Crafted World3,350,000Nintendo
Among Us3,200,000Innersloth
Metroid Dread3,070,000Nintendo
New Pokémon Snap2,740,000
  • JP: The Pokémon Company
Arms2,720,000Nintendo
Xenoblade Chronicles 22,700,000Nintendo
Pikmin 42,610,000Nintendo
Mario Strikers: Battle League2,540,000Nintendo
Mario Golf: Super Rush2,480,000Nintendo
Dragon Ball FighterZ2,430,000Bandai Namco Entertainment
Pikmin 3 Deluxe2,400,000Nintendo
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker2,350,000Nintendo
Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun!2,270,000Bandai Namco Entertainment
Octopath Traveler2,160,000
  • JP: Square Enix

Out of 52 games on this list, only seven were neither developed by Nintendo nor were based on a Nintendo IP. The remaining 45 games on that list amount to 528.05M copies, or 46.6% of the Switch's total software sales. And that's just 45 games! There are a lot more Nintendo games on the Switch than what's on this list.

No matter how you look at it, first-party titles represent an absolutely massive share for software sales on Nintendo systems, and they utterly dominate the best-sellers list on Nintendo systems as well. This is well beyond what you see with first-party titles on PlayStation or Xbox.

SOURCES

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190131_2e.pdf
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200507_4e.pdf
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/91457/nintendo-made-27-billion-from-first-party-games-across-switchs-lifespan/index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games

Thanks for the list. Just one comment. Minecraft is at 3,394,222 physical in Japan alone according to Famitsu. Worldwide & digital I would imagine more then the 5million mentioned.

Around the Network

I'm not surprised third party sells poorly on Nintendo consoles. Third party is in the business of making money, there was always a logical reason why the Switch had poor 3rd party support.

I'm not convinced 3rd party for the switch 2 will be any better.  Developers go where the money is.  

Witcher 3 on the switch took a lot of effort and didn't even sell a million.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 16 January 2024

The_Liquid_Laser said:

There are two realities that need to be acknowledged whenever this topic is brought up.

1.  Nintendo is and essentially always has been the top software publisher in the video game industry.  This was true starting in the mid-80's, and it's still true today.  

2.  In spite of #1, Nintendo hardware doesn't sell well unless it has a good quantity of third party games.  These don't have to be AAA games, but there has to be other games there to fill in the gaps between major releases.  Usually Nintendo releases 1-3 major games every year.  If those are the only games on the system, then it feels like there are software droughts where the Nintendo system owner feels like there is nothing to play. 

Many Nintendo games have broad appeal like Mario Kart, Zelda or Pokemon.  That's why they sell a lot.  People play the other games, but they tend to appeal to more specific niches.  Some people really like Octopath Traveler and others really like Stardew Valley (for example), and there are tons of other high quality games that appeal to more niche tastes.  These games really help fill out the game library of a Nintendo system even if they aren't mega sellers like Mario Kart.

What people really want when they buy a Nintendo system is major first party releases supported by a large quantity of third party games.  This is what made the NES successful and this strategy has been present on every Nintendo system that has sold at least as well as the SNES.  Yeah, major Nintendo games sell a lot, because the games are that high quality and popular.  Third party games could sell well on a Nintendo system too if they were high quality and popular.  Monster Hunter Rise, Street Fighter II, Just Dance and most Dragon Quest games have sold really well on Nintendo systems.  However, most third party games end up filling a niche roll and are still successful relative to their budget, but they don't usually compare to major Nintendo releases.

2 - may be true for you but not for the market in general.

Attach ratio for Switch is lower than 9 SW per console sold and it is 7 year old system, so most customers buy 1 to at most 2 games per year on average (and as you said Nintendo releases 1 to 3 titles per year and well a lot of them go over 20M sold). So really people that buy Nintendo do that to have its first party not the third party (in general at least) otherwise they would be getting one of the other 2 consoles or a PC since Nintendo have the worse 3rd party support and games. I would say only a very minuscule amount of the Switch owners bought it because of third parties because they wanted to play it on the go.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Chrkeller said:

I'm not surprised third party sells poorly on Nintendo consoles. Third party is in the business of making money, there was always a logical reason why the Switch had poor 3rd party support.

I'm not convinced 3rd party for the switch 2 will be any better.  Developers go where the money is.  

For dedicated fans the amount of 3rd party is certainly low, but from the publisher side it is certainly understandable.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Not gonna lie, I would be really interested in how 3rd party games typically sell on PS and Nintendo systems. Not in numbers, but what their pattern is.
In my head, I have this image, where (lets take JRPGs for example) games sell better on Nintendo-systems initially, but slow down faster and maybe even earlier
resulting in a sales-curve that looks somewhat like this:

Does anybody have any data about this?

Around the Network

It's true for the most part for me. My Nintendo consoles are mainly for Nintendo games and Nintendo exclusive games, and soley for the fact that Nintendo does a much better job at making games for local coop/parties whereas Sony and Microsoft lack heavily in that department.

All mutiplatform/3rd party games I would buy on Playstation (only or first), I would double/triple dip into buying other mulitplatform/3rd party games onto Switch if I felt like it ie. Final Fantasy games, Nier Automata, Persona 5 to name a few.

TeachMeHisty said:

Not gonna lie, I would be really interested in how 3rd party games typically sell on PS and Nintendo systems. Not in numbers, but what their pattern is.
In my head, I have this image, where (lets take JRPGs for example) games sell better on Nintendo-systems initially, but slow down faster and maybe even earlier
resulting in a sales-curve that looks somewhat like this:

Does anybody have any data about this?

Most titles on PS and Xbox are very much front loaded, ever green is basically a term for some Nintendo IPs and very few games from other vendors.

Just for you to have an idea Capcom announced it done 1M on month launch, 1M on the month after that and another 1M on like 5-6 months after for SF6. If you look for SM2 it is something like 5M on the first day, maybe up to 1M additional for the rest of that month and no more than 4M on the over 2 month after that.

Chrkeller said:

It sold more than a million on Switch though? We have data from 2020 saying it sold ~700k on Switch. I doubt it sold less than 300k in these 3-4 years.

RedKingXIII said:
Chrkeller said:

It sold more than a million on Switch though? We have data from 2020 saying it sold ~700k on Switch. I doubt it sold less than 300k in these 3-4 years.

Call it a million.  It doesn't change the point.  Compare it to mario Kart, ac, Odyssey, etc. 

If there were money to made by switch ports, third party would do it.  There is a reason they don't.  

Witcher 3 launched in 2015 on the ps4 and 2019 on the switch.  In 2019 the ps4 version out sold the switch version 2.5 to 1.....  despite being on the ps4 for years and being new on the switch.  

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3s-sales-by-system-how-the-game-has-sold-o/1100-6475832/

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 16 January 2024

Chrkeller said:
RedKingXIII said:

Call it a million.  It doesn't change the point.  Compare it to mario Kart, ac, Odyssey, etc. 

If there were money to made by switch ports, third party would do it.  There is a reason they don't.  

Witcher 3 launched in 2015 on the ps4 and 2019 on the switch.  In 2019 the ps4 version out sold the switch version 2.5 to 1.....  despite being on the ps4 for years and being new on the switch.  

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/witcher-3s-sales-by-system-how-the-game-has-sold-o/1100-6475832/

Kinda dumb to suggest money can't be done on the Switch for the arbitrary reason that it can't match up the success of it's first party games.

There's plenty of 3rd games or Indies that a rode their identity and trend on the system this whole generation. And success doesn't need to be translated by a million sold if the budget in question for the porting aren't too high.

Case in point, all the AA games Square Enix pumped on the Switch this generation which themselves consider to be a successful endeavor since they continue to produce those.

Witcher sold the million which probably made a good profit margin over the porting cost of the whole thing.

Hogwarts Legacy which just released has been making excellent trends on the sales chart too.

So no I disagree, there's definitely money to be done for 3rd party on the Switch. 

It's just that the metrics you use to gage a success are not reasonable.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909