By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could the Switch surpass the PS2 in sales?

Phenomajp13 said:

Honestly Zippy is right, Im a Nintendo fan as well but there is no reason to be this hurt over PS2's astounding success. It clearly wasn't just a DVD player or else it wouldn't have moved as much software as it did. We do realize PS2 sold not that much less software than Wii and DS combined? Wii and DS moved what, 1.9 billion games combined? PS2 moved around 300 million less, thats one individual platform with far less of a userbase. It's really not that big of a deal to recognize the astounding success the PS2 was, as a Nintendo fan im not sure how I can't label the PS2 as the most successful gaming console in history. It has to me the best combination of achievements, highest in harware sales, second highest in software (which it just lost to PS4), and certainly a very profitable platform. Obviously Wii, DS, and PS4 all have their own accolades to boast but I think PS2 is the current Goat.
With that being said, there is a new threat. This is why there is no need to be so hurt about PS2's success because Switch is slowly making its way up. Switch has potential to sale more hardware and software and is likely the most profitable individual platform in history. No need to downplay PS2 because it has a threat within striking distance. Switch's software sales don't even include digital only games and its already 1.2 billion. The hardware is just short of 140 million without 2024 and beyond.

I'm honestly not hurt either way, as I could not care less (neither of the companies' money is coming my way - heck, I'm giving money to them and not the other way around). I stated my actual opinion just two posts above and here I can further explain: yes, PS2 was impressive. Yes, it moved a lot of software. Yes, when I commented on Dulfite's post I was being ironic (or sarcastic, or sardonic, pick your choice), just like I firmly believe he was as well, because PS fans tend to get mad whenever this argument that "it was just a DVD player" is placed around. They shouldn't. It's just mockery that nobody should take so seriously. Now, to end this from my side, I explained what I thought, but don't come to me with a straight face to say that the ease of a DVD player did not play an important role in PS2's final numbers, because I was not only an adult (and a father) when all that happened thus I remember it very well, I also followed that market with interest because I had two different friends that used to sell consoles.

Around the Network
farlaff said:
Phenomajp13 said:

Honestly Zippy is right, Im a Nintendo fan as well but there is no reason to be this hurt over PS2's astounding success. It clearly wasn't just a DVD player or else it wouldn't have moved as much software as it did. We do realize PS2 sold not that much less software than Wii and DS combined? Wii and DS moved what, 1.9 billion games combined? PS2 moved around 300 million less, thats one individual platform with far less of a userbase. It's really not that big of a deal to recognize the astounding success the PS2 was, as a Nintendo fan im not sure how I can't label the PS2 as the most successful gaming console in history. It has to me the best combination of achievements, highest in harware sales, second highest in software (which it just lost to PS4), and certainly a very profitable platform. Obviously Wii, DS, and PS4 all have their own accolades to boast but I think PS2 is the current Goat.
With that being said, there is a new threat. This is why there is no need to be so hurt about PS2's success because Switch is slowly making its way up. Switch has potential to sale more hardware and software and is likely the most profitable individual platform in history. No need to downplay PS2 because it has a threat within striking distance. Switch's software sales don't even include digital only games and its already 1.2 billion. The hardware is just short of 140 million without 2024 and beyond.

I'm honestly not hurt either way, as I could not care less (neither of the companies' money is coming my way - heck, I'm giving money to them and not the other way around). I stated my actual opinion just two posts above and here I can further explain: yes, PS2 was impressive. Yes, it moved a lot of software. Yes, when I commented on Dulfite's post I was being ironic (or sarcastic, or sardonic, pick your choice), just like I firmly believe he was as well, because PS fans tend to get mad whenever this argument that "it was just a DVD player" is placed ayround. They shouldn't. It's just mockery that nobody should take so seriously. Now, to end this from my side, I explained what I thought, but don't come to me with a straight face to say that the ease of a DVD player did not play an important role in PS2's final numbers, because I was not only an adult (and a father) when all that happened thus I remember it very well, I also followed that market with interest because I had two different friends that used to sell consoles.

I absolutely am going to come to you with a straight face and say PS2 absolutely did not benefit from being a DVD player. It benefitted from Sonys aggressive pricing and massive library. Xbox was a DVD player too, I even had the remote playing DVDs and music. Xbox barely outsold GC. PS2 sold way too many games to even entertain this. 

Zippy6 said:
farlaff said:

Nothing but the truth right here! The previous greatest selling gaming machine was actually the DS.

Nah everyone bought the DS for Pictochat.

The DS sold 949m games, the PS2 sold 1537m games. But people bought the PS2 just to watch DVD's and the DS is the best selling gaming machine. I despair.

@bold: Now that's more like it! Cheers!!

Anecdotal, but I bought my PS3 primarily because I wanted a Blu-ray player. I figured I may as well spend a bit more and buy something that could play games also.
I bought it as a used console in 2017, so my purchase didn't exactly move the needle on sales, but I understand the thought process.

It's a given that Switch will surpass the PS2 at this point. It's going to sell 15.5 million this fiscal year, and the Switch is still going strong with multiple games on the horizon and likely several more (at least) yet unannounced.

Here's why I think it's a given.

Many will say the Wii was notoriously front loaded in sales. And most would agree that the Wii was pretty much over after the release of Skyward Sword - which was Nintendo's last in-house game release on the console (they published a few third party games in 2012, which included Mario Party 9, but none were developed by Nintendo). Nintendo has three in house games announced, so far, for 2024 among others. No price drop has yet occurred on the Switch. No services have been cut from the Switch. Support looks like it's going to continue.

Yet after Skyward Sword's release and the effective death of the Wii, the Wii still sold over 12 million more units (5 million of those after the Wii U launched).
Personally, I'd say Switch can do at least double Wii's post-Skyward Sword sales; so, over 24 million more sales for a total of about 165m+ lifetime. But it only needs to do another 18 million to beat the PS2, another 14 million to beat the DS.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

It's a given that Switch will surpass the PS2 at this point. It's going to sell 15.5 million this fiscal year, and the Switch is still going strong with multiple games on the horizon and likely several more (at least) yet unannounced.

Many will say the Wii was notoriously front loaded in sales. And most would agree that the Wii was pretty much over after the release of Skyward Sword - which was Nintendo's last in-house game release on the console (they published a few third party games in 2012, which included Mario Party 9, but none were developed by Nintendo). Nintendo has three in house games announced, so far, for 2024 among others. No price drop has yet occurred on the Switch. No services have been cut from the Switch. Support looks like it's going to continue.

Yet after Skyward Sword's release and the effective death of the Wii, the Wii still sold over 12 million more units (5 million of those after the Wii U launched).
Personally, I'd say Switch can do at least double Wii's post-Skyward Sword sales; so, over 24 million more sales for a total of about 165m+ lifetime. But it only needs to do another 18 million to beat the PS2, another 14 million to beat the DS.

I agree with this, but I want to know what your thoughts are. When will Nintendo release its successor? And will the successor be conjoined in sales to the Switch, like GB/GBC?

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

I want to believe that it can.

1doesnotsimply

Shtinamin_ said:
Jumpin said:

I agree with this, but I want to know what your thoughts are. When will Nintendo release its successor? And will the successor be conjoined in sales to the Switch, like GB/GBC?

I think Nintendo can release it any time now. But I'm not sure. But even if it came out in April, I don't think it would derail the Switch's charge past the PS2 total.

My guess is the Switch 2 uses Switch 1 as a foundation, similar (but more intricately) than the GBC did on GB. In other words, it will build on the Switch, where if you brought your Switch 1 account to Switch 2, all the games would play as though they were Switch 2 games, but not necessarily the other way around - just like getting upgrading your Windows or Mac OS, or your mobile phone. So, more integrated than the backwards compatibility seen on Wii/Gamecube and Wii U/Wii, or GBA/DS where it was one hardware running two different platforms and (usually) using separate interfaces. I could be wrong, it's really wishful thinking on my part and considering carefully the words of Nintendo's brass over the past few years - sometimes they pan out (hybridization, combined handheld/home console), sometimes they don't (QoL platform integration).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Shtinamin_ said:

I think Nintendo can release it any time now. But I'm not sure. But even if it came out in April, I don't think it would derail the Switch's charge past the PS2 total.

My guess is the Switch 2 uses Switch 1 as a foundation, similar (but more intricately) than the GBC did on GB. In other words, it will build on the Switch, where if you brought your Switch 1 account to Switch 2, all the games would play as though they were Switch 2 games, but not necessarily the other way around - just like getting upgrading your Windows or Mac OS, or your mobile phone. So, more integrated than the backwards compatibility seen on Wii/Gamecube and Wii U/Wii, or GBA/DS where it was one hardware running two different platforms and (usually) using separate interfaces. I could be wrong, it's really wishful thinking on my part and considering carefully the words of Nintendo's brass over the past few years - sometimes they pan out (hybridization, combined handheld/home console), sometimes they don't (QoL platform integration).

I was referring to more like will the successor be counted as Switch sales, like GBC sales counted toward GB.

But yes I do agree on software backwards accountability via the account, and physical cartridges. I remember seeing a quote, which I will give the jist. We are focusing in Nintendo account integration to transfer to future consoles. I dont remember where I saw it though.

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

President Furuwaka stated that the Switch will remain Nintendo's “main business” heading into 2024, and that Nintendo wants “to maintain the momentum of the Switch business.”.

What do we think that means?
Successor releases in 2025?
Once entering 2024, all focus changes to the successor?
They want to sell more Switch hardware and software than the successor for 2024?

Those are my thoughts on what that statement means.