By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could the Switch surpass the PS2 in sales?

Shtinamin_ said:

President Furuwaka stated that the Switch will remain Nintendo's “main business” heading into 2024, and that Nintendo wants “to maintain the momentum of the Switch business.”.

What do we think that means?
Successor releases in 2025?
Once entering 2024, all focus changes to the successor?
They want to sell more Switch hardware and software than the successor for 2024?

Those are my thoughts on what that statement means.

Furukawa is just saying that Switch is their focus as they head into 2024. The Switch 2 can release later in the year and it would still make sense. From their data, there are a lot of Switch users out there using said console actively. So it would not be wise to suddenly drop support cold turkey in order to maintain momentum even if the successor comes around. It doesn’t rule out the successor coming in 2024 or 2025. They’re not gonna give too much hints on what the successor will be until they’re ready to unveil it.

Around the Network

Switch sales are incredible, now we need new DONKEY KONG , METROID 4 , POKÉMON LETS GO CHIKORITA , RHYTHM HEAVEN and WARIO LAND

znake said:

Switch sales are incredible, now we need new DONKEY KONG , METROID 4 , POKÉMON LETS GO CHIKORITA , RHYTHM HEAVEN and WARIO LAND

I will agree, we do need a new release to the Rhythm Heaven Series.

We haven't seen a DK Switch-only release yet, and with their support for him in the movie and the parks, and the new Mario vs DK, I think one will be coming soon.

MP4 will arrive soon, dont worry, they haven't forgotten.

Pokémon has been teasing the Johto region and the Unova region, we could be getting either a Let's Go, a Legends, or a 1-for-1 remake from either. No one knows until Pokémon Day.

We haven't seen a Wario Land entrance since 2008. I think they are sticking to WarioWare Inc. series.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

I'm still waiting for the Switch Mini/Switch TV version, a non-portable version of the Switch that slashes all the handheld part in exchange for a 100-150€ price.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

I'm still waiting for the Switch Mini/Switch TV version, a non-portable version of the Switch that slashes all the handheld part in exchange for a 100-150€ price.

That will never happen, at least not for that price.

The only things Nintendo could save upon in such a version is on the screen and the dock. It would still need joycons or at least a controller, and screens just cost a few dollars each in production, so not much savings here. In other words, production costs would be higher than on the lite, so it wouldn't be sold for less than that for sure.

Around the Network
Shtinamin_ said:

We haven't seen a DK Switch-only release yet, and with their support for him in the movie and the parks, and the new Mario vs DK, I think one will be coming soon.

Also haven't had a StarFox or Mario Kart.
Especially want a StarFox personally... I've just re-plugged in my N64 to get my fix.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

The only things Nintendo could save upon in such a version is on the screen and the dock. It would still need joycons or at least a controller, and screens just cost a few dollars each in production, so not much savings here. In other words, production costs would be higher than on the lite, so it wouldn't be sold for less than that for sure.

What can be cut:
1) Dock.
2) Lithium battery.
3) Display.
4) Speakers.
5) Joycons (With their own Blutooth/battery and other electronics) for a simpler "Pro" controller.

Production costs would indeed be lower than a Lite. And not by an insignificant amount.

Other Android TV-only devices come in at a lower price than the Switch Lite.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I think that there are a lot more components to save on. Batteries in the system is one, speakers is another. With them able to use a steady high electric charge to the system gives other options for cooling and electric components as well. 

I don't think It would go as low as 100 bucks, but I do not think it is unreasonable to assume that a Switch TV version will be priced lower than the Lite.  

Darwinianevolution said:

I like the idea but the Vita TV didn't work out🤓

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I like the idea but the Vita TV didn't work out🤓

Vita in general didn’t work out.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

To further elaborate, there is nothing inherently wrong with the idea of a TV only micro-console. Vita TV didn’t necessarily fail because of its design, Vita was already a failure so the ability to play its games on the TV isn’t much of a selling point. Plus it was barely marketed.

Switch on the other hand is a massively popular device and if you’re a PS/XB/PC gamer who doesn’t care about handheld play and is only interested in a handful of Nintendo IP (let’s say Smash, Zelda & Fire Emblem) might not be able to justify buying a $300-350 hybrid but might pick up a $150 micro-console to play those few franchises.

Plus it would be a cheap, end of life revision with likely low R&D costs so it’s not like it needs to be a smash hit. Even selling something like 5 million units would probably be plenty in Nintendo’s view.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.