By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Game Awards Thread (2023)

mZuzek said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Oh absolutely, how dare he let them create such a monstrosity?

Oh absolutely, how dare he have his own opinion and not conform to the perceived internet "consensus"?

My point is the exact opposite. It's fine to dislike the game ofc, it always is, but I've seen one to many statement bordering on "the game is objectively bad" when there's no such thing and many people are clearly loving it, calling Aonuma a fraud and saying his direction is "unforgiveable" is defintely in that camp.

So yea it's cool that you and others don't like TotK, I just hate whenever it turns into a vendetta of sorts. Don't think I've seen as much cheering against a game since TLoU Part 2

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:
mZuzek said:

Oh absolutely, how dare he have his own opinion and not conform to the perceived internet "consensus"?

My point is the exact opposite. It's fine to dislike the game ofc, it always is, but I've seen one to many statement bordering on "the game is objectively bad" when there's no such thing and many people are clearly loving it, calling Aonuma a fraud and saying his direction is "unforgiveable" is defintely in that camp.

So yea it's cool that you and others don't like TotK, I just hate whenever it turns into a vendetta of sorts. Don't think I've seen as much cheering against a game since TLoU Part 2

Agreed, as many people that didn't like TOTK disliked Balder's Gate, Starfield, Spiderman etc.  Not enjoying a game is fine, actively rooting against it, is a bit ridiculous. "Thank god he lost this award"  Really?  Thank God!  Another poster on here "IMO, Aonuma deserved to remain sitting there with a salty face when Sam Lake won the award."  Really a salty face, sounds like Anouma isl living rent free in Haxxity's head. At the end of the day only one game wins GOTY, that doesn't take away from the joy another gamer has for another game that was nominated and didn't win, or games that weren't nominated for the award.

In terms of announcements, a good show.

In terms of celebrating developers, absolutely trash.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 December 2023

Valdney said:

It was a beautiful thing to watch Aonuma, the fraud, having to clap for another developer for winning a prize that should be easily his. What this man allowed the Zelda team to do with TotK under his watch is unforgivable. Thank God he lost this award.

What did he do?

Also why Aonuma specifically ? There's so many people and different directors that were working on these last two games.

Scapegoating the overall producer but not talking about the people who actually gives the overall gameplay ideas and systems in place seem disgenuine.
Anywoo, it's always easy to blame a single person for no reason but personal satisfaction.

Most could see the GOTY award coming for BG3 from away. Does it deserve it ? Yes.

But if we're to talk criticism at least, let's talk about that broken, not truly polished 3rd act.
The fact that they're basically giving the award to a game that should've seen more polish before release kinda vindicates the state of broken AAA games we've seen in the last few years.

In the end, the VGA is a huge commercial with sprinkle of "awards" that completely denatures the perception of the medium.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
CaptainExplosion said:

If the Game of The Year 2023 isn't Super Mario Bros. Wonder or Tears of The Kingdom, then I'll riot. *readies tank made with Zonai devices* You better believe I'll riot.

It won't be. It'll be a deserved winner.

Apparently deserved winners are games where everything is brown.

UnderwaterFunktown said:
mZuzek said:

Because Animal Crossing New Horizons should've been the GOTY of 2020, it was a game that made people happy in a dark time, as opposed to The Last of Us Part 2 which only depressed people even more than it's predecessor.

This proves further that The Game Awards only give Game of The Year to bland brown games.

CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

It won't be. It'll be a deserved winner.

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Because Animal Crossing New Horizons should've been the GOTY of 2020, it was a game that made people happy in a dark time, as opposed to The Last of Us Part 2 which only depressed people even more than it's predecessor.

This proves further that The Game Awards only give Game of The Year to bland brown games.

Like Breath Of The Wild...? 

Its ok for Nintendo not to win whatever award you know. If you like it, then thats all that matters.

KLXVER said:
CaptainExplosion said:

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Its ok for Nintendo not to win whatever award you know. If you like it, then thats all that matters.

Breath Of The Wild wasn't brown. It was a rainbow compared to the likes of everything Naughty Dog's put out the past few years. For a game as pleasing to look at AND play as Tears of The Kingdom or Super Mario Bros. Wonder to lose the highest award to something more muted and generic is just insulting and feels like a personal attack.

CaptainExplosion said:
KLXVER said:

Breath Of The Wild wasn't brown. It was a rainbow compared to the likes of everything Naughty Dog's put out the past few years. For a game as pleasing to look at AND play as Tears of The Kingdom or Super Mario Bros. Wonder to lose the highest award to something more muted and generic is just insulting and feels like a personal attack.

Thats what Im saying. BOTW won in 2017, so I dont see how brown games are always winning. Also TLOU2 is actually very colorful for a post apocalyptic game.

KLXVER said:
CaptainExplosion said:

Thats what Im saying. BOTW won in 2017, so I dont see how brown games are always winning. Also TLOU2 is actually very colorful for a post apocalyptic game.

It's still a photorealistic depressant, which is the only reason it won instead of the much better Animal Crossing New Horizons. That game was much needed in a time of crisis because it actually made people feel better instead of pissing them off and/or depressing them. Seems the old trope "True Art Is Angsty" holds unfortunately true to this sham of an award show. It's like the video game equivalent of Leonardo DiCapprio losing out at the Oscars for years while pretentious foreign art films nobody actually saw won every year.