By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Which console will be close in performance?

XB1 13 8.78%

PS4 49 33.11%

PS4 pro 47 31.76%

XB1X 8 5.41%

XBox Series S 24 16.22%

PS5 3 2.03%

XBox Series X 4 2.70%

Total:148
LegitHyperbole said:

If it's as good as ps4 it'll be darn impressive. Some of the later ps4 exclusives excluded cause they were miracles, mid gen ps4 third party is what I would imagine. The thing that interests me is if they focus on battery life more as well as new features like HDR and some form of DLSS and other ai features we've not yet seen.

Ram

S2->12 gb

ps4->8 gb

ps4 pro->8gb

ps5->16 gb

Bandwidth

S2->122 gb/s

ps4->176 gb/s

ps4 pro->217 gb/s

ps5->448 gb/s

The S2 will have newer chips compared to the ps4 as well.  I don't see any reason why the S2 won't be outputting end of cycle ps4 quality visuals.  I think ps4 pro is on the table.  I agree, it is impressive and is more than enough for a Nintendo system.  Sure, the Rog X, based on rumors (24 gb ram), will out class the S2, but I'm guessing the majority don't want to pay Rog X money for Nintendo hardware. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

If it's as good as ps4 it'll be darn impressive. Some of the later ps4 exclusives excluded cause they were miracles, mid gen ps4 third party is what I would imagine. The thing that interests me is if they focus on battery life more as well as new features like HDR and some form of DLSS and other ai features we've not yet seen.

Ram

S2->12 gb

ps4->8 gb

ps4 pro->8gb

ps5->16 gb

Bandwidth

S2->122 gb/s

ps4->176 gb/s

ps4 pro->217 gb/s

ps5->448 gb/s

The S2 will have newer chips compared to the ps4 as well.  I don't see any reason why the S2 won't be outputting end of cycle ps4 quality visuals.  I think ps4 pro is on the table.  I agree, it is impressive and is more than enough for a Nintendo system.  Sure, the Rog X, based on rumors (24 gb ram), will out class the S2, but I'm guessing the majority don't want to pay Rog X money for Nintendo hardware. 

The standard switch should be doing better but it gets to 360p at times. Maybe there'll be a few games with graphics like you said but sense Nintendo doesn't focus on them and Switch doesn't get AAA exclusives the games will be stripped down versions of ps5/X focused games and they'll not reach the beauty of Horizon forbidden west. Depends on where the developers make the concessions with the porting I suppose. 

LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

Ram

S2->12 gb

ps4->8 gb

ps4 pro->8gb

ps5->16 gb

Bandwidth

S2->122 gb/s

ps4->176 gb/s

ps4 pro->217 gb/s

ps5->448 gb/s

The standard switch should be doing better but it gets to 360p at times. Maybe there'll be a few games with graphics like you said but sense Nintendo doesn't focus on them and Switch doesn't get AAA exclusives the games will be stripped down versions of ps5/X focused games and they'll not reach the beauty of Horizon forbidden west. Depends on where the developers make the concessions with the porting I suppose. 

The switch was heavily underclocked which limited performance.  Assuming Nintendo is better with cooling, the S2 should have less issues.  Especially if the dock has active cooling. 

The S2 should be a hell of a jump over the original.  It won't be a ps5 but it will be a ps4 at a minimum.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
LegitHyperbole said:

The switch was heavily underclocked which limited performance.  Assuming Nintendo is better with cooling, the S2 should have less issues.  Especially if the dock has active cooling. 

The S2 should be a hell of a jump over the original.  It won't be a ps5 but it will be a ps4 at a minimum.  

And a ps4 at minimum is damn impressive if so. I don't know why Sony don't re enter the market when they could pull it off even if they do end up being the underdog in sales the pie is so big that it'd be worth the smaller slice. 

They put Luigi's Mansion 3 on Switch. Xenoblade 3. Tears of the Kingdom Ultrahand. A mechanic that had developers on other platforms, companies, and real-life engineers baffled that it was somehow possible on Switch. Many thought not possible even on hardware like the PS5. Nintendo will do more with those specs than anyone thought possible by the system's end cycle. Will be fine.

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 May 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:

Well, base ps4 can run that game with no serious compromises

https://youtu.be/IMVVs1QTeAw?feature=shared

Last edited by 160rmf - on 24 May 2024

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:
LegitHyperbole said:

It's funny how small the differences are between those three, even from PS4 base to PS5. It's like playing a game of trying to look really close to see any differences haha. I'm sure if you're playing on a really big screen 4k TV the difference is noticeable, but that's probably it. Noticeable graphical advancements are getting pretty small between the gens these days.

If S2 can run those PS4 base graphics with good framerate you can't really ask for more than that.

Slownenberg said:
160rmf said:

It's funny how small the differences are between those three, even from PS4 base to PS5. It's like playing a game of trying to look really close to see any differences haha. I'm sure if you're playing on a really big screen 4k TV the difference is noticeable, but that's probably it. Noticeable graphical advancements are getting pretty small between the gens these days.

If S2 can run those PS4 base graphics with good framerate you can't really ask for more than that.

Biggest difference is usually fps.  The ps5 does higher resolution and more fps.  And on a big screen it is very perceptible.  More the fps than resolution, but resolution is nice as well.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 24 May 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Slownenberg said:

Biggest difference is usually fps.  The ps5 does higher resolution and more fps.  And on a big screen it is very perceptible.  More the fps than resolution, but resolution is nice as well.  

This, it takes a 4k TV to bring out the difference. Doesn't even have to be a big one. If you have base ps4 and ps4 pro running HFW side by side with all things equal there is a huge difference. Can't say for ps5 as I don't have one but I'd image it scales in the same way with some added boons. Greater clarity and detail being more clear seen. 

It is kinda sad that the graphics are better cause of the resolution mainly and I would hope the PS5 PRO focuses on Ray tracing, performance for more stuff on screen and more moving parts, particles effects and what not that made Ghost look so good on ps4 while not being as technically good as HFW. 

There's no real point in using other consoles with architecture's that are like 8-10 years older and from completely different companies (AMD).

You have as good of a direct comparable as you're going to get in the RTX 2050 laptop GPU. It is the same exact architecture as the Switch 2 with similar numbers of CUDA cores, it has 25% more CUDA cores, but it has less RAM (only 4GB), and even less bandwidth (20% less with 96GB/sec versus 120GB/sec for Switch 2).

That's why Digital Foundry did a whole video testing a downclocked RTX 2050 on various games, to simulate a Switch 2. That's going to give you the closest idea of what Switch 2 could do, 2050 has a bit more CUDA cores but it has worse RAM and worse bandwidth. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 25 May 2024