By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Which console will be close in performance?

XB1 13 8.78%

PS4 49 33.11%

PS4 pro 47 31.76%

XB1X 8 5.41%

XBox Series S 24 16.22%

PS5 3 2.03%

XBox Series X 4 2.70%

Total:148
LegitHyperbole said:

If it's as good as ps4 it'll be darn impressive. Some of the later ps4 exclusives excluded cause they were miracles, mid gen ps4 third party is what I would imagine. The thing that interests me is if they focus on battery life more as well as new features like HDR and some form of DLSS and other ai features we've not yet seen.

HDR on a handheld? that should be left for docked/tv mode only atleast.
You dont need the brightness of a thusand suns,.... when your playing on a handheld, and worried about battery life.

Around the Network

Switch and even the WiiU were more powerful than the previous generation's PS3 and the 360. Therefore the Switch 2 should be more powerful than the base PS4 and XBox1, otherwise it's a failure in terms of power.

wohufana said:

Switch and even the WiiU were more powerful than the previous generation's PS3 and the 360. Therefore the Switch 2 should be more powerful than the base PS4 and XBox1, otherwise it's a failure in terms of power.

Being more powerful isn't the bottleneck, TPD is.  On a portable full power can't be unlocked without ripping the battery and creating a ton of heat that is hard to dissipate.

Which is why an active cooling dock, if it happens, can be a huge deal.  Because docked it could run at higher clock speeds 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

wohufana said:

I dont feel like thats a fair way to judge them.

Its a handheld, that can dock.
vs a traditional conesole in a box, that can use much more power, and is much bigger and thus easier to cool said hardware.

If its barely PS4 level, or slightly below.... thats still a huge win imo.
You have to remember nintendo is going to want to keep it sub 15watts on the go, and 35-40 watts when docked or so.

PS4slim (CUH-2000) used like ~90-110 watts when gameing.
Theres a long way from that, down to 35-40watts when a switch is docked.

The fact that they can now make it so small, and use like a 1/3rd of the power, to do the same ish level of performance,
is just the progress thats happend between the two releases (8+ years down the road).

Chrkeller said:

You are fighting an argument nobody made.  We weren't talking about internal storage nor upgrading internal storage.  We were talking about expandable storage, e.g. secondary storage.  If the limitation is hot swap and not heat, fair enough.

But calling me a liar when you didn't even know the basis of the discussion was wrong on your part.  A mod should do better.  

And I was right per the actual topic.  Portables use SD slots for secondary storage, not M2...  just like I said.  

As for the CoGs of going 12 gb to 16 gb, I have no idea what the S2 is targeting in costs already, nobody does.  So, it is hard to comment on what Nintendo could have done differently.  Nothing is even confirmed at this point.  My only point is Nintendo has to cut costs somewhere.    

No you are missing the point.

SSD's in M.2 or nVME are not designed to be hot-swappable commodity items you can drop into a backpack, they are naked pieces of hardware prone to forces like bending, static and more which can destroy them... They were never designed to act like an SD card or USB flash drive.

All these PORTABLE DEVICES devices use M.2 which was the original argument and obviously HEAT is not an issue.

This is your quote exactly:

Chrkeller said:

Fast memory is super expensive.  I think I spent $300 for my PC M2 drive and M2 won't work with portables, gets way too hot.  

So don't bend and twist the narrative.

So no. "It wasn't just like you said" as you never made that distinction to start with. Aka. Your original statement was a lie, your amended statement is more factually correct.

Chrkeller said:

As for the CoGs of going 12 gb to 16 gb, I have no idea what the S2 is targeting in costs already, nobody does.  So, it is hard to comment on what Nintendo could have done differently.  Nothing is even confirmed at this point.  My only point is Nintendo has to cut costs somewhere.    

Then why the hell would you claim it's going to be $600 with those hardware improvements that I outlined? You nor anyone else has a clue on costings.

Or do I need to quote that statement as well?

LegitHyperbole said:

If it's as good as ps4 it'll be darn impressive. Some of the later ps4 exclusives excluded cause they were miracles, mid gen ps4 third party is what I would imagine. The thing that interests me is if they focus on battery life more as well as new features like HDR and some form of DLSS and other ai features we've not yet seen.

It's going to have aspects where it will fall short of a Playstation 4, Graphics Core Next was extremely proficient with asynchronous compute... And can leverage bandwidth extremely effectively.

However... The Switch 2.0 is going to be a vastly more efficient chip that can deploy more advanced, more modern effects with a much smaller impact to hardware resources... Provided it has the memory to leverage it. (Think: DLSS which needs extra Ram as does Ray Tracing.)

And this is normal, as every year nVidia, Intel and AMD release new GPU's which are more efficient than the last, it's normal progress and has been happening for decades.

HDR shouldn't be an issue, even cheap LCD's can manage it now with moderate results, but if they bake it in from the start and release an OLED model later, then the OLED console would benefit greatly from day 1.

I would expect things like textures and lighting to be better on the Switch 2.0 than a Playstation 4, but it would likely be at a lower resolution and have cutbacks to shader effects.

JRPGfan said:

You dont need the brightness of a thusand suns,.... when your playing on a handheld, and worried about battery life.

HDR isn't about sheer brightness of an entire image.

If that's your interpretation of one of the most impactful display technologies... Then you probably should do some research, or I can educate you, either/or.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

You are fighting an argument nobody made.  We weren't talking about internal storage nor upgrading internal storage.  We were talking about expandable storage, e.g. secondary storage.  If the limitation is hot swap and not heat, fair enough.

But calling me a liar when you didn't even know the basis of the discussion was wrong on your part.  A mod should do better.  

And I was right per the actual topic.  Portables use SD slots for secondary storage, not M2...  just like I said.  

No you are missing the point.

SSD's in M.2 or nVME are not designed to be hot-swappable commodity items you can drop into a backpack, they are naked pieces of hardware prone to forces like bending, static and more which can destroy them... They were never designed to act like an SD card or USB flash drive.

All these PORTABLE DEVICES devices use M.2 which was the original argument and obviously HEAT is not an issue.

This is your quote exactly:

Chrkeller said:

Fast memory is super expensive.  I think I spent $300 for my PC M2 drive and M2 won't work with portables, gets way too hot.  

So don't bend and twist the narrative.

So no. "It wasn't just like you said" as you never made that distinction to start with. Aka. Your original statement was a lie, your amended statement is more factually correct.

Chrkeller said:

Then why the hell would you claim it's going to be $600 with those hardware improvements that I outlined? You nor anyone else has a clue on costings.

Or do I need to quote that statement as well?

LegitHyperbole said:

It's going to have aspects where it will fall short of a Playstation 4, Graphics Core Next was extremely proficient with asynchronous compute... And can leverage bandwidth extremely effectively.

However... The Switch 2.0 is going to be a vastly more efficient chip that can deploy more advanced, more modern effects with a much smaller impact to hardware resources... Provided it has the memory to leverage it. (Think: DLSS which needs extra Ram as does Ray Tracing.)

And this is normal, as every year nVidia, Intel and AMD release new GPU's which are more efficient than the last, it's normal progress and has been happening for decades.

HDR shouldn't be an issue, even cheap LCD's can manage it now with moderate results, but if they bake it in from the start and release an OLED model later, then the OLED console would benefit greatly from day 1.

I would expect things like textures and lighting to be better on the Switch 2.0 than a Playstation 4, but it would likely be at a lower resolution and have cutbacks to shader effects.

JRPGfan said:

HDR isn't about sheer brightness of an entire image.

If that's your interpretation of one of the most impactful display technologies... Then you probably should do some research, or I can educate you, either/or.

I already amended my statement in my first response, lol.  

You really don't bother reading what people post, do you?

You can quote whatever you want.  All I said is Nintendo has to draw a price point line somewhere because of their audience, which is true.  

Nobody doubts your knowledge, but it would be nice you if bothered understanding the discussion before ripping into people.

Also I find it hard to believe M2 doesn't run hotter than 100 mb/s SD.  Perhaps one of us is spinning a narrative.....  

Edit

Also YOU don't have a clue on costing either.  None of this is even confirmed nor do we know what profit margin Nintendo is targeting. 😆 

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 25 May 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I have a feeling that DF🤡 will actively compare the Switch 2 and Series S to the PS5 and PC, not the Switch 2 and Series S.
They will want to avoid as much as possible any opportunity to make Xbox look bad.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I have a feeling that DF🤡 will actively compare the Switch 2 and Series S to the PS5 and PC, not the Switch 2 and Series S.
They will want to avoid as much as possible any opportunity to make Xbox look bad.

Seems like an odd comment.  I'm pretty sure DF will do a full comparison because most people will find it informative and interesting.

I'm not sure DF has a hidden agenda to protect MS.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Sort of tangential to this thread, but I am thinking there is a good chance the next generation of consoles (PS6/next Xbox) will be ARM-based rather than x86, given the huge gains we're seeing with Apple Silicon and now the Qualcomm laptop chips in terms of performance/power unit. I also think we're only scratching the surface of Deep Learning enhanced graphics with current DLSS. Unless they also make a deal with Nvidia, I can see the PS6/next Xbox having NPU's built into their chipsets. Even if they stay with AMD/x86, current AMD APU's have NPU's built-in. Right now NPU's are behind in raw performance (but ahead GPU's in terms of power efficiency) but I think that could be very different four to five years from now. They might be competitive in the mid-tier (competing with RTX XX50/XX60) space. 

Would be interesting to see how Nvidia and Nintendo navigate this given that Nvidia has an interest in keeping anything more than light Deep-Learning workloads centered on their GPU's rather than NPU's, unless they enter the NPU market themselves. 

Nvidia is ahead in terms of software though (they are basically the top company in vision-based deep learning research), and probably will still be ahead by the time those consoles release (albeit with a marginally smaller gap.) 

But yeah, I think the 10th Generation will be a much larger leap than the 9th mostly because I think Deep Learning aided graphics will balloon in scope and applications.  

sc94597 said:

Sort of tangential to this thread, but I am thinking there is a good chance the next generation of consoles (PS6/next Xbox) will be ARM-based rather than x86, given the huge gains we're seeing with Apple Silicon and now the Qualcomm laptop chips in terms of performance/power unit. I also think we're only scratching the surface of Deep Learning enhanced graphics with current DLSS. Unless they also make a deal with Nvidia, I can see the PS6/next Xbox having NPU's built into their chipsets. Even if they stay with AMD/x86, current AMD APU's have NPU's built-in. Right now NPU's are behind in raw performance (but ahead GPU's in terms of power efficiency) but I think that could be very different four to five years from now. They might be competitive in the mid-tier (competing with RTX XX50/XX60) space. 

Would be interesting to see how Nvidia and Nintendo navigate this given that Nvidia has an interest in keeping anything more than light Deep-Learning workloads centered on their GPU's rather than NPU's, unless they enter the NPU market themselves. 

Nvidia is ahead in terms of software though (they are basically the top company in vision-based deep learning research), and probably will still be ahead by the time those consoles release (albeit with a marginally smaller gap.) 

But yeah, I think the 10th Generation will be a much larger leap than the 9th mostly because I think Deep Learning aided graphics will balloon in scope and applications.  

Wouldn't a move to ARM kill backwards compatibility?  Especially with PS Now and Game Pass?

I wholly agree tools and AI are going to explode in the next 5 years.  Unreal 5 demos show there is still a ton to be had with visuals.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED