By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will be Switch 2 performance wise?

Your expectations

Performance ridiculously ... 0 0%

Really below current gen,... 2 100.00%

Slightly below current ge... 0 0%

On pair with current gen,... 0 0%

Total:2
TeachMeHisty said:

Asking the other way around.. how likely is it that Switch 2 will not face the issue that games are not released on the system due to its specs?
Because that is what I want Nintendo to avoid at all cost. There should not be even one instance where you have to purchase a 2nd system because a multiplatform 3rd party game skips the system. That is my wish.

Depends on cost of cartridges.  I could see many third party players skipping the switch 2 if cartridges are expensive.  I don't think power is going to be the limiting factor.  Disks and downloads are cheap for the ps5 and xbox.  What is the cost for the switch?  

The n64 is a great example.  Many ps1 games could easily run on the n64 but many third parties skipped because of cost.

My guess is most third parties are going to be digital only on the switch 2.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
TeachMeHisty said:

Asking the other way around.. how likely is it that Switch 2 will not face the issue that games are not released on the system due to its specs?
Because that is what I want Nintendo to avoid at all cost. There should not be even one instance where you have to purchase a 2nd system because a multiplatform 3rd party game skips the system. That is my wish.

There will still be third party games skipping the Switch 2 even if power isn't an obstacle. The power of the Switch wasn't an obstacle in porting GTA V, a ps3/360 game, to it but that never happened.

Sorry, I should have been more precise...

What I am asking is, how likely it is that no - or an insignificant amount of games at most, regardless of "size" (AAA, AA, ...) - will skip the system, because

the financial numbers of expected sales and costs to port suggest that other project should be prefered?

Switch could have gotten way more AAA games than it did, but I am 100% sure that most prognosis' came to the conclusion, that switch ports are the least profitable alternatives among all alternatives in which a company could invest its limited recourses.

That is what Nintendo should avoid. Being the least financially plausible alternative again.

The memory bandwidth is definitely going to be a factor and bottleneck, but it is still worth having a 1080p screen despite it not being able to achieve 1080p natively in the most demanding titles. 

The Rog Ally has similar memory bandwidth and at 10-15W gets a nearly solid 30fps in Starfield 1080p FSR. 900p is generally the optimal resolution on the Rog Ally though.

My guess is Nintendo might be going 1080p because of cost (it'll eventually be cheaper to purchase 1080p screens than 720p screens, due to economies of scale.) 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 12 January 2024

Pemalite said:
Jules98 said:

New specs leak just dropped:

Not a leak. It's an unsubstantiated rumor. We need to start knowing the difference, otherwise people start to peddle rumor as fact.

Jules98 said:
  • TSMC N4 node process (4 nanometre?)

TSMC N4 node is advertising. It's NOT 4 nanometer.

TSMC N4 is actually based on it's 5nm technology which ironically has a bigger gate pitch and interconnect pitch than IRDS 7nm definition, take that as you will.
But the scaling just isn't happening at the moment.

Jules98 said:
  • 8-core A78C CPU, clock rates unknown, don't know what's meant by GA10F (this could be the GPU line)

GA10F does refer to a Geforce Ampere class GPU.

Jules98 said:
  • 12 stream multiprocessor GPU, performance ranging from 3.5 to 4.5 TFLOPs docked and 1.7 to 2.0 TFLOPs handheld

Teraflops is meaningless. It's theoretical, not real-world.

Jules98 said:
  • 100GB/s memory bandwidth docked and 88GB/s handheld

720P again confirmed? ;)

Jules98 said:
  • Memory cache specifics uncertain, Tegra GPU cores may be able to access CPU cache

This has been a Tegra feature for some time.

Cache coherency is however, only 1-directional, Tegra X1 in the Switch should be able to do this.

https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-for-tegra-appnote/index.html

Jules98 said:
  • Display is 8" screen with 1080p and 60hz refresh rate

Good luck getting 1080P happening with 100GB/s of bandwidth.
You will not get the fillrate necessary to drive that.

Jules98 said:
  • Cartridge specifics unknown, but 3D-NAND may provide a cost-effective way to significantly increase storage

And will not last long.

Bitflip is a big issue with NAND, you loose data extremely quickly.
3D NAND would exacerbate that issue.

ROM is the way to go.

Chrkeller said:

Seems reasonable.  I've been expecting the memory bandwidth to be a bottleneck.  100 gb/s for a portable is fair but very slow compared to home consoles.  Ps4 is 176, series s is 225, ps5 is 500 and a good gpu is 700.

As a reference point, steam deck is 88 gb/s.  

I'm sticking with my ps4 like visuals given the bottleneck.  

Steamdeck gets away with it because it's only running 720P levels of resolution.

Keep in mind that Delta Colour Compression is a technology that the Playstation 4 lacks, so that can give Tegra an extra 60% bandwidth boost if the patterns fit with DCC.

Playstation 4 level of capability but with a few extra tricks (Ray Tracing) is the most logical scenario here.

JRPGfan said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Arp3H_mgR8

Iphone 15 pro Max, looks like it would need like 4 times its current performance, to match a base PS4 (in this game).
However.... that is still insane.... its a PHONE..... its not ment to be able to match a console, that again, draws 100's of watts of power.

Keep in mind is also running CUSTOM silicon and CUSTOM software to MAXIMISE performance.

You do NOT get that same privilege on other platforms.

Soundwave said:

And again, you have to understand this is not even the max performance, these games are not optimized properly for hardware, with consoles you get a dev team to actually sit down and tailor make a version of a game specifically to one hardware spec, these are just PC games with settings sliders moved around, if a a dedicated dev team actually sat down and worked on a port for like 6-8 months, fine tuning every area of the game just for one piece of hardware, you'd have better performance than this. 

You do realise that is exactly what console developers so? Essentially just move a slider?
Digital Foundry does it all the time and "adjusts" PC sliders to get an identical visual representation of the console release and gets those games running on equivalent PC hardware.

RedKingXIII said:

Personally, I'm expecting it to be a lot more powerful than a PS4, just like the Switch was way ahead of the PS3. It won't be as powerful as the PS5, but the power gap between the Switch 2 and the PS5 will be smaller than the power gap between the Switch 1 and the PS4.

It doesn't need to match PS4 specs to beat it.

"weaker" hardware on paper today is leagues ahead of "faster" hardware from 10+ years ago, efficiency does actually improve, which is why the Switch is able to beat a Playstation 3, WiiU and Xbox 360, nVidia Maxwell is just a significantly more efficient chip despite the "flops" not representing that visual leap.

Why would you ever run any game at native resolution on Switch 2 to begin with? There's no point when you have DLSS, undocked really never needs to go above 540p as far as I'm concerned. Yes native looks slightly better, but not good enough that it's worth forcing the system to render 4x the pixels. On top of that DLSS gives you basically a "free" form of anti-aliasing. Running at native + wasting resources on top of that for AA is just brain dead, in fact I would postulate that DLSS implementation is the automatic default for Switch 2 dev kits, the system will be designed to run with that on. 

Especially on a freaking small 7-8 inch-ish display, the regular joe, even most "game enthusiast joes" are not really going to know or care that their game is actually only rendering from 540p, shit I think you could go even lower than that. 

Yes you can move sliders around on PC games that have a performance overhead to "match" lower console settings, that doesn't really have anything to do with what I'm saying. I'm saying if the Steam Deck version of Ratchet & Clank runs at 30-40 fps, if Insomniac sat down with a team of 20-30 people who worked on the port for 6-7 months JUST for that one hardware, do I think they could get that up to a solid locked 40 fps and/or maybe even bump the settings from Low to Medium 30 fps ... yes, I do. Optimization does matter.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 12 January 2024

Soundwave said:
Pemalite said:

Not a leak. It's an unsubstantiated rumor. We need to start knowing the difference, otherwise people start to peddle rumor as fact.

Jules98 said:
  • TSMC N4 node process (4 nanometre?)

TSMC N4 node is advertising. It's NOT 4 nanometer.

TSMC N4 is actually based on it's 5nm technology which ironically has a bigger gate pitch and interconnect pitch than IRDS 7nm definition, take that as you will.
But the scaling just isn't happening at the moment.

GA10F does refer to a Geforce Ampere class GPU.

Jules98 said:
  • 12 stream multiprocessor GPU, performance ranging from 3.5 to 4.5 TFLOPs docked and 1.7 to 2.0 TFLOPs handheld

Teraflops is meaningless. It's theoretical, not real-world.

720P again confirmed? ;)

Jules98 said:
  • Memory cache specifics uncertain, Tegra GPU cores may be able to access CPU cache

This has been a Tegra feature for some time.

Cache coherency is however, only 1-directional, Tegra X1 in the Switch should be able to do this.

https://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-for-tegra-appnote/index.html

Good luck getting 1080P happening with 100GB/s of bandwidth.
You will not get the fillrate necessary to drive that.

Jules98 said:
  • Cartridge specifics unknown, but 3D-NAND may provide a cost-effective way to significantly increase storage

And will not last long.

Bitflip is a big issue with NAND, you loose data extremely quickly.
3D NAND would exacerbate that issue.

ROM is the way to go.

Steamdeck gets away with it because it's only running 720P levels of resolution.

Keep in mind that Delta Colour Compression is a technology that the Playstation 4 lacks, so that can give Tegra an extra 60% bandwidth boost if the patterns fit with DCC.

Playstation 4 level of capability but with a few extra tricks (Ray Tracing) is the most logical scenario here.

JRPGfan said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Arp3H_mgR8

Iphone 15 pro Max, looks like it would need like 4 times its current performance, to match a base PS4 (in this game).
However.... that is still insane.... its a PHONE..... its not ment to be able to match a console, that again, draws 100's of watts of power.

Keep in mind is also running CUSTOM silicon and CUSTOM software to MAXIMISE performance.

You do NOT get that same privilege on other platforms.

You do realise that is exactly what console developers so? Essentially just move a slider?
Digital Foundry does it all the time and "adjusts" PC sliders to get an identical visual representation of the console release and gets those games running on equivalent PC hardware.

RedKingXIII said:

Personally, I'm expecting it to be a lot more powerful than a PS4, just like the Switch was way ahead of the PS3. It won't be as powerful as the PS5, but the power gap between the Switch 2 and the PS5 will be smaller than the power gap between the Switch 1 and the PS4.

It doesn't need to match PS4 specs to beat it.

"weaker" hardware on paper today is leagues ahead of "faster" hardware from 10+ years ago, efficiency does actually improve, which is why the Switch is able to beat a Playstation 3, WiiU and Xbox 360, nVidia Maxwell is just a significantly more efficient chip despite the "flops" not representing that visual leap.

Why would you ever run any game at native resolution on Switch 2 to begin with? There's no point when you have DLSS, undocked really never needs to go above 540p as far as I'm concerned. Yes native looks slightly better, but not good enough that it's worth forcing the system to render 4x the pixels. On top of that DLSS gives you basically a "free" form of anti-aliasing. Running at native + wasting resources on top of that for AA is just brain dead, in fact I would postulate that DLSS implementation is the automatic default for Switch 2 dev kits, the system will be designed to run with that on. 

Especially on a freaking small 7-8 inch-ish display, the regular joe, even most "game enthusiast joes" are not really going to know or care that their game is actually only rendering from 540p, shit I think you could go even lower than that. 

Yes you can move sliders around on PC games that have a performance overhead to "match" lower console settings, that doesn't really have anything to do with what I'm saying. I'm saying if the Steam Deck version of Ratchet & Clank runs at 30-40 fps, if Insomniac sat down with a team of 20-30 people who worked on the port for 6-7 months JUST for that one hardware, do I think they could get that up to a solid locked 40 fps and/or maybe even bump the settings from Low to Medium 30 fps ... yes, I do. Optimization does matter.

540p or less native scaled to 1440p or 4k is going to look terrible on a big TV.  You seem stuck talking about how games will look on a small screen....  the switch 2 is a hybrid and needs to look good on a large TV, not just 8 inch screen.

If it helps I agree on a small screen the pixel density is good enough where low resolution and low settings is fine.  Docked mode is the issue when comparing to the ps5.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 12 January 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

540p or less native scaled to 1440p or 4k is going to look terrible on a big TV.  You seem stuck talking about how games will look on a small screen....  the switch 2 is a hybrid and needs to look good on a large TV, not just 8 inch screen.

If it helps I agree on a small screen the pixel density is goof enough where low resolution and low settings is fine.  Docked mode is the issue when comparing to the ps5.

540p to 1080p looks fine on a smaller display, shit I have even tested this on my 77 inch Samsung QD-OLED S90C that I got for Black Friday (with kick ass second gen QD OLED panel, so don't lecture me on TV tech, that's not a can of worms you want to open up) and it's passable even as low as 540p to 1080p. I had friends over who are guys who play COD, Elden Ring, GTA, Madden NFL (ie: typical gamers) and they had no idea that they were playing Cyberpunk 2077 at only 540p to 1080p resolution. From 540p, DLSS can begin to resolve a pretty decent looking image. 

For docked mode 720p to 1440p would look fine. With 720p DLSS can definitely start to cook. 720p to 1440p on my 77 inch display looked quite good, even 720p to full 4K is fine. 

There is no freaking point to rendering natively on a system like this, if you have a PC GPU that can draw 300 watts, that's a different story, but on a Switch as a developer there is no point to native rendering. DLSS gives a good enough image that has anti-aliasing basically baked in on top of that, you'd be stupid to render natively. 

99% of people are not going to know the difference, you'd have to put them side by side and even then most people are just going to go "oh ok, so this image is a bit softer, big whoop".

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

If it helps I agree on a small screen the pixel density is goof enough where low resolution and low settings is fine.  Docked mode is the issue when comparing to the ps5.

540p to 1080p looks fine on a smaller display, shit I have even tested this on my 77 inch Samsung QD-OLED S90C that I got for Black Friday (with kick ass second gen QD OLED panel, so don't lecture me on TV tech, that's not a can of worms you want to open up) and it's passable. I had friends over who are guys who play COD, Elden Ring, GTA, Madden NFL (ie: typical gamers) and they had no idea that they were playing Cyberpunk 2077 at only 540p to 1080p resolution. From 540p, DLSS can begin to resolve a pretty decent looking image. 

For docked mode 720p to 1440p would look fine. With 720p DLSS can definitely start to cook. 

There is no freaking point to rendering natively on a system like this, if you have a PC GPU that can draw 300 watts, that's a different story, but on a Switch as a developer there is no point to native rendering. DLSS gives a good enough image that has anti-aliasing basically baked in on top of that, you'd be stupid to render natively. 

Lol, so you are going from "comparable" to "passable."  Good stuff.  Either way we are saying the same thing.  Switch 2 games on a large TV will be passable buy not great quality.  1080p was antiquated a decade ago.  

720p DLSS will be OK, not great.  

The story hasn't changed.  Mobile has limitations, personal opinion on what people prefer.  I'll stick with my native 1440p upscaled to 4k at 60 fps with medium settings.  The idea that 720p 30 fps low settings isn't noticeable compared to 1440p 60 fps medium settings is just dumb.

And if people didn't care the ps5 wouldn't be selling millions.  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 12 January 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

540p to 1080p looks fine on a smaller display, shit I have even tested this on my 77 inch Samsung QD-OLED S90C that I got for Black Friday (with kick ass second gen QD OLED panel, so don't lecture me on TV tech, that's not a can of worms you want to open up) and it's passable. I had friends over who are guys who play COD, Elden Ring, GTA, Madden NFL (ie: typical gamers) and they had no idea that they were playing Cyberpunk 2077 at only 540p to 1080p resolution. From 540p, DLSS can begin to resolve a pretty decent looking image. 

For docked mode 720p to 1440p would look fine. With 720p DLSS can definitely start to cook. 

Lol, so you are going from "comparable" to "passable."  Good stuff.  Either way we are saying the same thing.  Switch 2 games on a large TV will be passable buy not great quality.  1080p was antiquated a decade ago.  

720p DLSS will beOK, not great.  

The story hasn't changed.  Mobile has limitations, personal opinion on what people prefer.  I'll stick with my native 1440p upscaled to 4k at 60 fps.  

Actually I will say 720p to 1440p DLSS does look great. It does look like you are playing something very close to real 1440p. 

I've tried it and tested it on a 77 inch display, on a 27 inch PC monitor that I sit right in front of too, it looks great either way. I have larger displays in my house than "Joe Average" does. 

You'd have to be a fucking moron as far I'm concerned to render those games natively on Switch 2, native 1440p is not worth anywhere close rendering 4-8x more pixels. 

You have to push DLSS down to to about 360p (which is ridiculously low) to really have the image quality look actually bad. From 540p it starts to look good more than good enough for a small screen display, 720p to 1440p looks very good, 1080p to 4K looks fantastic. Someone would have to present a pretty compelling case as far I'm concerned for why you would ever really want to render above 540p undocked, and 720p-1080p docked on Switch 2. There's no point. Even 1080p is kind of ridiculous, I think 900p DLSS would be more than good enough, you can get a very nice image quality from just 1280x720 pixels going to 1440p, and yes I'm talking about for big screen TVs. 

No one is realistically going to stop playing a game because some power lines 50 feet in the distance are a little fuzzy. That type of gamer isn't even in the market for a Switch so their opinions on the matter are frankly irrelevant. 

Soundwave said:
Chrkeller said:

720p DLSS will beOK, not great.  

The story hasn't changed.  Mobile has limitations, personal opinion on what people prefer.  I'll stick with my native 1440p upscaled to 4k at 60 fps.  

Actually I will say 720p to 1440p DLSS does look great. It does look like you are playing something very close to real 1440p. 

I've tried it and tested it on a 77 inch display, on a 27 inch PC monitor that I sit right in front of too, it looks great either way. I have larger displays in my house than "Joe Average" does. 

You'd have to be a fucking moron as far I'm concerned to render those games natively on Switch 2, native 1440p is not worth anywhere close rendering 4-8x more pixels. 

You have to push DLSS down to to about 360p (which is ridiculously low) to really have the image quality look actually bad. From 540p it starts to look good more than good enough for a small screen display, 720p to 1440p looks very good, 1080p to 4K looks fantastic. Someone would have to present a pretty compelling case as far I'm concerned for why you would ever really want to render above 540p undocked, and 720p-1080p docked on Switch 2. There's no point. Even 1080p is kind of ridiculous, I think 900p DLSS would be more than good enough, you can get a very nice image quality from just 1280x720 pixels going to 1440p, and yes I'm talking about for big screen TVs. 

No one is realistically going to stop playing a game because some power lines 50 feet in the distance are a little fuzzy. That type of gamer isn't even in the market for a Switch so their opinions on the matter are frankly irrelevant. 

720p scaled to 1440p isn't going to look as good as 1440p scaled to 4k.  Not too mention it isn't just resolution.  Memory bandwidth is going to keep third party games at 30 fps instead of 60.  Plus switch 2 will be low settings, memory bandwidth and storage speeds, while the ps5 is going to be medium settings.

The switch 2 will be passable as you said, just not comparable.  

Glad we finally agree.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
Soundwave said:

720p scaled to 1440p isn't going to look as good as 1440p scaled to 4k.  Not too mention it isn't just resolution.  Memory bandwidth is going to keep third party games at 30 fps instead of 60.  Plus switch 2 will be low settings, memory bandwidth and storage speeds, while the ps5 is going to be medium settings.

The switch 2 will be passable as you said, just not comparable.  

Glad we finally agree.  

That's not what I said. 720p to 1440p DLSS absolutely is comparable to native 1440p so much so that most people are not going to be able to tell the difference. 

DLSS is fantastic, from 960x540 pixels it can resolve an image that is entirely playable even on a 77 inch display (on an 8 inch screen ... are you fucking kidding me?), give it 720p pixels or 900p pixels and it's laughing all the way to the bank, that's plenty for it to cook with. 

From what I've seen and tested on huge displays, there's no reason I can see why any sane developer really would ever want to render at higher than 540p-600p undocked, and 720p-900p docked really, unless you are running a game that the Switch 2 can run so easily that it can do native res in its sleep. Otherwise there's no point to native res, I would bet the Switch 2 dev kit and system are entirely designed around DLSS being on.