By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Studios Sony Is To Acquire

Should Sony acquire a big publisher or only focus on smaller developers?

They should acquire a big Publisher 5 13.51%

They should focus on smaller developers 19 51.35%

They should do a little bit of both 13 35.14%

Total:37
Manlytears said:
dane007 said:

Even if Sony does buy take two GTA will have to be multiplatform much like cod is and Minecraft. Chances are ms will get there first

True, GTA VI would be multiplatform, but not GTA VII or RDR 3 or other future games. Just like COD is guaranteed multi. for 10 years, Sony or MS would only need to make similar deal for limited time.

Imho, Take Two would be enough to keep Sony as the market leader.

You work for the CMA or something? Yeah man, we gotta keep Sony as the market leader at all costs!

Lol fr though, what do we even consider as the market leader now? Nintendo by far sells the most consoles and supposedly is the most profitable, but the smallest in revenue. Sony has the most revenue, but smaller profit margins. Microsoft by far sells the least amount of consoles, but bets heavily on revenue and acceptable profit margins. 

So do we go by most consoles sold or purely by revenue to be considered the market leader? 

Around the Network

Hopefully none.

But it would in fact be funny if Sony got Take Two and would own GTA just to see the amount of flip flop opinions that now it's a really bad thing.

Not worth it just for the laughs, but it would certainly be quite funny.

gtotheunit91 said:
Manlytears said:

True, GTA VI would be multiplatform, but not GTA VII or RDR 3 or other future games. Just like COD is guaranteed multi. for 10 years, Sony or MS would only need to make similar deal for limited time.

Imho, Take Two would be enough to keep Sony as the market leader.

You work for the CMA or something? Yeah man, we gotta keep Sony as the market leader at all costs!

Lol fr though, what do we even consider as the market leader now? Nintendo by far sells the most consoles and supposedly is the most profitable, but the smallest in revenue. Sony has the most revenue, but smaller profit margins. Microsoft by far sells the least amount of consoles, but bets heavily on revenue and acceptable profit margins. 

So do we go by most consoles sold or purely by revenue to be considered the market leader? 

I only spoke from Sony's point of view and their need to respond to the acquisitions of Zenimax and ABK. Yes, I believe that Take two would be enough to protect Sony's market position.

Also, I agree with another post of yours in which you say that this acquisition is outside of Sony's reality. They would have to take out a large loan to make this move, and we are not in the right economic times for that.

Regarding market leadership, it is normally accepted that this is linked to revenue. In this regard, Playstation is currently ahead of Nintendo and Xbox. It is also considered that Nintendo serves a different market niche, which makes sense, and aligns with the "blue ocean" philosophy.

BraLoD said:

Hopefully none.

But it would in fact be funny if Sony got Take Two and would own GTA just to see the amount of flip flop opinions that now it's a really bad thing.

Not worth it just for the laughs, but it would certainly be quite funny.

This is probably the only good part in the whole sad and terrible trend of buying big publishers and making multiplatform exclusives.
It would be hilarious to see the hypocrisy and nonsense speeches of people who defended the purchase of ABK but react negatively to a similar move by Sony.

I mean, there are people who have the courage and nerve to compare the purchases of ABK and Zenimax with purchases that Sony made of small studios in the 2000s. IMHO, this type of narrative that some use is just absurd, but at least they produce good laughs.

Last edited by Manlytears - on 31 October 2023

enditall727 said:

Their competition can’t really acquire another big publisher right now. They WILL GET BLOCKED this time. Who else is really out here buying Publishers? its only really been 1 company, correct me if I'm wrong

Depends on the purchase.
But getting it past the shareholders would be the biggest burden... Even though Microsoft seems like it has an empty money pit, it's primary purpose is a return for it's shareholders.

In saying that... Microsoft is NOT the only company going on a buying spree.

Embracer Group has a long list...
Take-Two just bought Zynga while Zynga was on a buying spree...
Tencent has a colourful list as well.
EA has been buying up studios as well, having purchased Glu Mobile, Codemasters, Playdemic etc'

enditall727 said:

if the company that already has “Bethesda”, “Activision-Blizzard”, and “Mojang” Acquires “Take Two”…….. IT… IS…. OVER!

LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN

If the company that has CALL OF DUTY, MINECRAFT, AND THE ELDER SCROLLS gets GRAND THEFT AUTO aswell …. IT… IS…. OVER!

Far from it. Sony failed to push Nintendo out of the Market... And the Switch is set to outsell the Playstation 4.
Sony has some valuable I.P that you can not experience anywhere else, that is the value of a "platform".

Sony unlike Microsoft is able to attract high-budget japanese titles with little investment or hard work, which is also attractive to certain demographics over in the west.

Sony isn't going anywhere.

Minecraft is one of those perpetual "games as a service" titles that receive constant improvement and changes to accrue new sales with each successive hardware release, so it's actually in Minecraft's best interest to support every platform under the sun.

Same goes for Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto, which... Like Minecraft is probably "to big to go single platform".

Besides... Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto 5 isn't on Switch... And still the Switch has outsold the Playstation 4. Food for thought.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Sony unlike Microsoft is able to attract high-budget japanese titles with little investment or hard work, which is also attractive to certain demographics over in the west.

I don't think that's necessary true anymore, especially since the Switch is so dominant in the Japanese market. The only notable exclusive Sony has had in the last few years was the FF series. Most of the major JP ips not belonging to Nintnedo have had multiplatform releases.

The world belongs to you-Pan America

Around the Network
SAguy said:
Pemalite said:

I don't think that's necessary true anymore, especially since the Switch is so dominant in the Japanese market. The only notable exclusive Sony has had in the last few years was the FF series. Most of the major JP ips not belonging to Nintnedo have had multiplatform releases.

And JRPG's on PS5 usually sold way less than on Nintendo platforms. One could argue exclusive Nintendo sells more than multiplatform releases. Not a single (typical) JRPG released on PS5 could even hope to come remotely close to Monster Hunter Rise. FF16 did somewhat decent, but no JRPG on PS5 alone will come close to the 10 million mark.

Meanwhile every Pokémon game, technically a JRPG easily outsells it by a lot. Even Pikmin and Xenoblade will sell more than pretty much every JRPG on PS5 outside of FF mainly/FF7 remake titles. JRPG sales on Xbox are so minimal, usually way less than a million when at full price that they are not really relevant in this discussion.

Exclusive for Switch and PC/mobile is a much more viable route for most JRPG titles. Since you can also save a lot off Dec cost on making it pretty like FF Rebirth those pretty pixels cost a shit ton.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Qwark said:

And JRPG's on PS5 usually sold way less than on Nintendo platforms. One could argue exclusive Nintendo sells more than multiplatform releases. Not a single (typical) JRPG released on PS5 could even hope to come remotely close to Monster Hunter Rise. FF16 did somewhat decent, but no JRPG on PS5 alone will come close to the 10 million mark.

Meanwhile every Pokémon game, technically a JRPG easily outsells it by a lot. Even Pikmin and Xenoblade will sell more than pretty much every JRPG on PS5 outside of FF mainly/FF7 remake titles. JRPG sales on Xbox are so minimal, usually way less than a million when at full price that they are not really relevant in this discussion.

Exclusive for Switch and PC/mobile is a much more viable route for most JRPG titles. Since you can also save a lot off Dec cost on making it pretty like FF Rebirth those pretty pixels cost a shit ton.

Monster Hunter Word sold 13 mi+ on PS4 as of November 2020. I believe 14 mi+ is on the table currently. How much have sold Rise on Switch?

There are several JRPGs that sells a lot on Playstation. Tales of Arise (literally the best selling title in the franchise so far), Dragon Quest, Persona. They won't become Switch exclusive anytime soon. 

Monster Hunter Word sold 13 mi+ on PS4 as of November 2020. I believe 14 mi+ is on the table currently. How much have sold Rise on Switch?

There are several JRPGs that sells a lot on Playstation. Tales of Arise (literally the best selling title in the franchise so far), Dragon Quest, Persona. They won't become Switch exclusive anytime soon. 

I don't know where your getting your numbers from but vgchartz has MHW on Ps4 at 4 million and Wikipedia has it at 4.67 million. Whereas MHR has sold according to  vg and wiki 7.7 million on the switch. Tales of Arise is multi-platform release and its sitting at 2 million, so I'm not sure why this one is used for your argument. Dragon quest sold 1.3 million on PS4 and 6.5 million total with no breakdown that I could find (anecdotally the 3ds version also outsold the PS4 version in the first week in Japan). Personas last  mainline game was released in 2016 before the launch of the switch. Also I never said anything about becoming switch exclusives my argument was that it won't be as easy for Sony to secure big JP exclusives because of how the market is shifting.

SAguy said:

I don't know where your getting your numbers from but vgchartz has MHW on Ps4 at 4 million and Wikipedia has it at 4.67 million. Whereas MHR has sold according to  vg and wiki 7.7 million on the switch. Tales of Arise is multi-platform release and its sitting at 2 million, so I'm not sure why this one is used for your argument. Dragon quest sold 1.3 million on PS4 and 6.5 million total with no breakdown that I could find (anecdotally the 3ds version also outsold the PS4 version in the first week in Japan). Personas last  mainline game was released in 2016 before the launch of the switch. Also I never said anything about becoming switch exclusives my argument was that it won't be as easy for Sony to secure big JP exclusives because of how the market is shifting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gamingbolt.com/monster-hunter-world-on-pc-outselling-the-ps4-version-outside-of-japan-as-per-leaked-sales-figures/amp

You can sum base version + Iceborn sales here

I didn't answer to you, but the guy stating the best route for JRPGs are to become Switch/PC releases which is a baseless assumption

IcaroRibeiro said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gamingbolt.com/monster-hunter-world-on-pc-outselling-the-ps4-version-outside-of-japan-as-per-leaked-sales-figures/amp

You can sum base version + Iceborn sales here

I didn't answer to you, but the guy stating the best route for JRPGs are to become Switch/PC releases which is a baseless assumption

Did you read the link that you posted? its still only at 20 million with most of the sales coming from PC.