By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Studios Sony Is To Acquire

Should Sony acquire a big publisher or only focus on smaller developers?

They should acquire a big Publisher 5 13.51%

They should focus on smaller developers 19 51.35%

They should do a little bit of both 13 35.14%

Total:37
PotentHerbs said:

I don't think Sony would go for Take Two if they went all in for one deal.

If Sony were to go that route, it would be an acquisition that elevates the entire company, and while Take Two does that in a variety of ways, their crown developer in Rockstar releases one game per generation. This would be a deal that could easily exceed 30B+ with a premium, its a bit risky even with the MTX coming in from NBA/GTA, and evergreen titles like GTAV/RDR. Not to mention, if there is a scenario where Google or Microsoft are willing to outspend them, a bidding war for Take Two could be one of them, with a massive regulatory hurdle on top of that.

I think if Sony were going to go all in for a major acquisition in the video game market, Bandai Namco, EA Entertainment, and Valve due to being a private company, would be more viable options.

Low-key, Sony has no choice strategically. If they acquire a Publisher like “Bandai Namco”, The competition is going to instantly counter it by getting “Take Two”. Sony has to be strategic with this. If Sony does NOTHING, the competition can’t make anymore moves because they’ll get blocked being that nobody else is really buying big publishers, except them. At that point, it's not the industry consolidating, its just 1 company trying to buy all the Publishers.

The main dev that would try to “outbid” them can’t do it because they’ll be blocked lol… THEY ALREADY BOUGHT 3 BIG PUBLISHERS. They “WILL NOT” get away with buying 4 BIG Publishers if another company isn’t out here buying Publishers aswell

I haven’t seen google make an attempt to acquire a Publisher thus far so….

https://www.geekwire.com/2021/google-will-wind-game-development-studios-tech-giants-struggle-break-gaming/

Also, these Publishers can’t elevate Sony. The only way it elevates them is by them acquiring and keeping its games OFF the other consoles the way Bethesda’s games are being done. Sony does NOT need to do this at all.

These Publishers aren’t going to come in and show Sony some huge amount of money that they haven’t already seen before.

The only company that could receive a any type of REAL elevation by a Publisher is a company in an extremely weak position 

Take Two would just need to bring Sony balance and leverage

Around the Network
Manlytears said:

TheLegendaryBigBoss said:

Sony doesn't need to acquire a large publisher. They need more smaller developers to incorporate with PS Studios, so they have a roughly even manpower with Xbox. Although that will take a lot of studios considering just Blizzard alone has more employees than PS Studio as a whole.

Unfortunately, I must respectfully disagree with my colleague. Sony's main problem is getting successful Ip's and big talent, big names that guarantee an increase in sales.

Buying a large number of developers and simply making "more games" could end up putting Sony in a similar situation to the Embracer group, releasing games with low commercial and critical success. Furthermore, I do not believe that the solution of increasing productivity of existing PlayStation Studios by simply "buying small studios" to incorporate as support work for larger studios is sufficient.

It's a sad thing, and absolutely bad for the industry, but the best thing for Sony would be to buy famous developers who already have strong Ip's (not necessarily publishers) and close deals to guarantee quality exclusives for Playstation.

Buying small developers, without Ip's or with small Ip's, is something that Sony has done for almost 30 years in the market. Cultivating talent over the years is something that has brought great results for Playstation and the industry. Unfortunately, Microsoft bought a large part of the most successful IP's on the market, so the space to cultivate talent over the years has drastically decreased. Sony will probably need to respond in a similar way, buying some IP's and developers with established strength in the market. In my humble opinion, Sony should do this quickly, in the next 4 years, while it is the market leader, even if this generates debt and affects the Playstation's profitability.

This whole situation is horrible. No matter who Sony buys, it won't be a move to enrich the market and create something new. it will be a reaction to hurt Microsoft and defend the position that Playstation has in the market. Consumers are losing out.

I think there’s an EXTREMELY “simple” solution to this for Sony. Acquire “Take Two”

…. all they have to do is get “Grand Theft Auto”. That’s IT.

They don’t even need to make it exclusive.

..So long as Sony has “Take Two” under their belt, the Competition “CANT” play around with Sony. The competition would “HAVE” to be on good behavior with them.

"Take Two"….. not square…. not Ubisoft…. not EA…. "GRAND THEFT FUCKING AUTO"!

That’s “IF” they decide to jump on a Publisher, of course ;)

also, they have 10 years to decide. In the mean time, the new PS5 Slim being cheaper to assemble and it “NOT” receiving a retail price drop of $100 is going to bring in that $$CASH$$ FLOW to Sony. The money is coming

Doctor_MG said:

I just don't understand the focus on buying studios. You can partner with a studio just fine without having to buy them. Nintendo does this all the time with a lot of success.

Nintendo?!

are we…. are we talking about the same Nintendo who created monumental video game history with “Rare”, didn’t make them an official member of the Nintendo Family, then got Rare SNATCHED from them in a bidding war in 2002?

Gamecube was out for 1 year, then "Rare" got HUSTLED off Nintendo 1 DAY AFTER “Star Fox Adventures” released

Are we talking about the same FRIENDLY ass Nintendo that talked about having strong “Partnerships” with companies that said “ Nintendo doesn’t understand that their future lies OFF their own hardware”?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/gaming/nintendo-reaffirms-great-relationship-xbox-31264500#:~:text=In%20a%20recent%20interview%20with,Bowser%20said%20in%20the%20interview.

^^ This FRIENDLY ass shit is what made me a believer that Nintendo will get acquired 1 day. 

I’m not trying to here anything Nintendo and their FRIENDLY ass’s has to say regarding “Acquisitions”

enditall727 said:
Doctor_MG said:

I just don't understand the focus on buying studios. You can partner with a studio just fine without having to buy them. Nintendo does this all the time with a lot of success.

Nintendo?!

are we…. are we talking about the same Nintendo who created monumental video game history with “Rare”, didn’t make them an official member of the Nintendo Family, then got Rare SNATCHED from them in a bidding war in 2002?

Gamecube was out for 1 year, then "Rare" got HUSTLED off Nintendo 1 DAY AFTER “Star Fox Adventures” released

Are we talking about the same FRIENDLY ass Nintendo that talked about having strong “Partnerships” with companies that said “ Nintendo doesn’t understand that their future lies OFF their own hardware”?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/gaming/nintendo-reaffirms-great-relationship-xbox-31264500#:~:text=In%20a%20recent%20interview%20with,Bowser%20said%20in%20the%20interview.

^^ This FRIENDLY ass shit is what made me a believer that Nintendo will get acquired 1 day. 

I’m not trying to here anything Nintendo and their FRIENDLY ass’s has to say regarding “Acquisitions”

I guess he means things like Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Astral Chain, Bayonetta 2 and 3, The Wonderful 101, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Spark of Hope, Pokkén Tournament, Mario and Sonic, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Cadence of Hyrule... and putting both third party content on Nintendo games and vice versa like Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Rayman Legends, Sonic Lost World DLC, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, etc.

enditall727 said:
Manlytears said:

Unfortunately, Sony is going to buy someone who does multiplatforms and will make their games exclusive to PlayStation. It remains to be seen who.
It will be funny to see the complaints from the hypocrites who defended the acquisition of ABK.

Anyway, it would be great for this industry if sony keeps doing their classic move. Buy small studio with talent and turn it in something big and new, making new IPs.

Sadly this may not be a option. The wise and safe move is to buy something like Capcom or make deals that will turn games in exclusives.

I’m only worried about them Strengthening “Playstation Studios” honestly

them buying capcom would be them playing right into the competitions hands. They’ll get IP’s and Capcoms current Studios but… what did they really gain?

Their competition can’t really acquire another big publisher right now. They WILL GET BLOCKED this time. Who else is really out here buying Publishers? its only really been 1 company, correct me if I'm wrong

If Sony DOES acquire Capcom, guess what they just did? They just gave the competition a free “We-Can-Acquire-Another-Publisher-Because-Sony-Just-Did-Which-Proves-That-The-Industry-IS-In-Fact-Consolidating”

^^after this, guess what their competition is going to do? they will ACQUIRE “TAKE TWO”

if the company that already has “Bethesda”, “Activision-Blizzard”, and “Mojang” Acquires “Take Two”…….. IT… IS…. OVER!

LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN

If the company that has CALL OF DUTY, MINECRAFT, AND THE ELDER SCROLLS gets GRAND THEFT AUTO aswell …. IT… IS…. OVER!

…and Sony will have DESERVED exactly what they got for playing CHECKERS when the competition was playing CHESS

With your logic, the best thing Sony should do is not buy a publisher to avoid giving MS a reason to make another huge publisher purchase.
Let's say Sony wants to take a bid on Take-Two, I doubt they would be the only ones. 
Sony should stick to single studio buys. It's much more cost effective and keeps them out of a bidding war with MS and anyone else.

I'm seeing a lot of hot reactions because of the ABK deal. Sony is still ahead of Xbox in revenue and outsells Xbox 2:1 in the console space. I really don't understand why Sony needs to make a panic purchase like Take-Two. The only way they lose significant ground to Xbox would be decisions that cause self-harm to the brand. Any long as Sony sticks to their strengths, they will be fine. Panic decisions is exactly what will be their downfall.

CoD and Minecraft are still coming to Playstation so they lose nothing besides marketing for CoD. ES, Diablo, and Fallout IP's are essentially on the scale of popularity as Sony's largest IP's like Spider-man, God of War, and Last of Us. I really don't see this huge edge Xbox has in the exclusives department, which will turn the tides in any dramatic way. 

Around the Network
enditall727 said:

Nintendo?!

I don't really see a point here to your post. You bring up something that happened over 20 years ago then criticize Nintendo for having a relationship with the second or third biggest publisher in gaming with two of the most popular videogame IPs ever made. 

Is this supposed to make me rethink my position? Because it doesn't. 

enditall727 said:

also, they have 10 years to decide. In the mean time, the new PS5 Slim being cheaper to assemble and it “NOT” receiving a retail price drop of $100 is going to bring in that $$CASH$$ FLOW to Sony. The money is coming

Considering all the layoffs at Sony devs they might not be as confident in your prediction about the money coming in as you are.

The world belongs to you-Pan America

SAguy said:
enditall727 said:

Considering all the layoffs at Sony devs they might not be as confident in your prediction about the money coming in as you are.

That's not always how this works.

https://gamerant.com/microsoft-lay-offs-xbox/

MS laid off thousands of employees this year, including people in the gaming department. Didn't stop them from spending $70 billion on Activision.

Big companies frequently lay off people to put their resources elsewhere. As awful as that is.

SAguy said:
enditall727 said:

The Layoffs are tied to each specific Studio. It's not tied to the profit this PS5 Slim is going to bring in.

The two are Unrelated

Doctor_MG said:
enditall727 said:

Nintendo?!

I don't really see a point here to your post. You bring up something that happened over 20 years ago then criticize Nintendo for having a relationship with the second or third biggest publisher in gaming with two of the most popular videogame IPs ever made. 

Is this supposed to make me rethink my position? Because it doesn't. 

What are your thoughts on Nintendo being acquired?