By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Studios Sony Is To Acquire

Should Sony acquire a big publisher or only focus on smaller developers?

They should acquire a big Publisher 5 13.51%

They should focus on smaller developers 19 51.35%

They should do a little bit of both 13 35.14%

Total:37

Doubt Larian would be a good idea for Sony. Most Dungeons and Dragons fans play on PC rather than PlayStation.

Around the Network
Lavamelon said:

Doubt Larian would be a good idea for Sony. Most Dungeons and Dragons fans play on PC rather than PlayStation.

But that is exactly what Sony needs.  To dismiss the PC userbase actually is not a smart situation if you ask me.  Sony has the ability to make huge inroads in the PC space as well as mobile.  The diversity of content also helps to keep their eco system from getting stagnant.  

TheTitaniumNub said:

Larian has already said that they have no interest in being bought out by anybody, so, take it how you will.

TheTitaniumNub said:

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2023/08/baldurs-gate-3-dev-larian-studios-has-no-interest-in-being-acquired

I would say that Bungie and Bluepoint said something similar. Insomniac did as well. Just need the right offer to come along. 

With that said, I think it's unlikely. I think if they haven't gotten acquired even after Baldur's Gate 3, they probably won't. 

Lavamelon said:

Sony wants to expand their offerings on PC.

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 29 October 2023

Doing a bit more research and coming back to this thread, Sony's cash reserves are currently $15 billion. They could borrow money but with a debt burden at about $30 billion and rising intrest rates that would be foolish, the $15 billion is also for the whole sony corporation not just their gaming division.That rules out a lot of the big publishers( mentioned or not) as they'd be to expensive.

The world belongs to you-Pan America

Machiavellian said:
Lavamelon said:

But that is exactly what Sony needs.  To dismiss the PC userbase actually is not a smart situation if you ask me.  Sony has the ability to make huge inroads in the PC space as well as mobile.  The diversity of content also helps to keep their eco system from getting stagnant.  

I agree. Sony wants to legitimize their place in the PC space and having a PC dev (who will do PS5 ports at the same time) puts them in a better position incase they want to fully commit to PC in the future. 

Around the Network
Qwark said:

From the ones above I could see Sony going for Mihoyo, just to have another life service succes. All the others aren't really great options or not feasible for Sony. They could just moneyhat some of their games instead of buying the studio/publisher. Larian doesn't want to be bought and 2K is way too big.

..??? HMMM so if THESE aren’t great options and not feasible for Sony, what exactly do you think WOULD be?

Nah, that moneyhatting shit can kick rocks. They’ll DEFINITELY continue Strengthening Playstation Studios.

You saying that they should "moneyhat" some games instead of acquire a Studio sounds like you just low-key want Sony to be stagnant and NOT do anything. Unfortunately for you, that's NEVER going to happen ;)

Larian letting it be known that they didn’t want to be bought after the leak of Microsoft looking to acquire them is fine. I remember Insomniac being like that. Their bond with Sony is only going to be strengthened as time goes on.

2k appears to be too big.. “for now”. Sony has a FULL “10 years” to gather up funds to be a able to acquire Take Two and not break the bank.

PS5 Slim is coming in a month. its slimmer and as usual, its cheaper to make and there will NOT be a $100 dollar price drop like how we usually see.

Sony is about to be bringing in that $$BANK$$. Again, they have 10 years. the money is DEFINITELY coming ;)

SAguy said:

Nintendo and Take2 definitely cost way to much for Sony to buy. Nintendo alone would probably cost as much if not more then actiblizz.

I never said anything about Sony acquiring Nintendo. I said Take Two. 

When it comes to Nintendo,  Sony is “NOT” the company that was leaked talking about acquiring Nintendo.

Dreamcaster999 said:

I see what you're saying about T2 but I don't think Sony can get close to affording them. Also, I really don't think Microsoft, or anybody else, will buy Nintendo. Nintendo are so successful on their own, have bags of cash for rainy days, and are ofc Japanese so they probably don't wann be bought by a foreign company (just how it is).

Speaking about Japanese studios, that's where I think Sony ought to strengthen. With Jim Ryan going, I hope and think Sony will end their anti-Japanese stances they've taken recently. Buying one of the major Japanese devs like Square, Capcom, Sega/Atlus, Fromsoft, or even Konami for the IP, would be a move that would really diversify their 1st party line-up and the strength of their presence in their home market.

And yes, I do also think they should continue to acquire smaller, talented devs when the opportunities arise.

Finally, I would strengthen their China and India strategies. Maybe even open up a full fledged studio in Beijing or Shanghai if possible. Maybe Korea is an option to open a studio in too?

I think they CAN and WILL be able to afford “Take Two”. like i said earlier. Sony’s profits are about to be turned up after the PS5 Slim arrives next month. It’s not as costly and will NOT be receiving the usual $100 price cut. That is PROFIT out of the ass! The money is DEFINITELY coming.

and for Nintendo, I would’ve been in full agreeance with you if it wasn’t for FRIENDLY Nintendo making that “partnership” comment after the leaks

It’s going to be interesting seeing how Sony restrengthens their Japanese Studios. Honestly, i don’t really want them to buy a big Publisher there. I’d rather them take it slow. Find a smaller Dev there that has a spark of talent at the Studio. Bring that spark and Talent out of them.

I can see that “spark” at CyberAgent(Cygames) with Gran Blue. They are the start. We just have to see if there’s any truth to what were seeing. We’ll find that out on FEB 8th 2024 when Gran Blue Rising releases

I’m fully with you about China & India. China is a bit further along with their Playstation China Hero Project program. I think at some point Sony will have a Chinese headquarters/building there “Sony Computer Entertainment China”

I can see them starting with 3 Strong Quality Studios. miHoYo(Genshin Impact), UltiZero Games(Lost Soul Aside), Hypergryph(Popucom)

After Playstation India Hero Project is going along, They’ll have an India Headquarter/building there aswell. “Sony Computer Entertainment India”

.. with 3 Strong Quality Indian Studios in that region to kick it off aswell

Last edited by enditall727 - on 01 January 2024

Manlytears said:

Unfortunately, Sony is going to buy someone who does multiplatforms and will make their games exclusive to PlayStation. It remains to be seen who.
It will be funny to see the complaints from the hypocrites who defended the acquisition of ABK.

Anyway, it would be great for this industry if sony keeps doing their classic move. Buy small studio with talent and turn it in something big and new, making new IPs.

Sadly this may not be a option. The wise and safe move is to buy something like Capcom or make deals that will turn games in exclusives.

I’m only worried about them Strengthening “Playstation Studios” honestly

them buying capcom would be them playing right into the competitions hands. They’ll get IP’s and Capcoms current Studios but… what did they really gain?

Their competition can’t really acquire another big publisher right now. They WILL GET BLOCKED this time. Who else is really out here buying Publishers? its only really been 1 company, correct me if I'm wrong

If Sony DOES acquire Capcom, guess what they just did? They just gave the competition a free “We-Can-Acquire-Another-Publisher-Because-Sony-Just-Did-Which-Proves-That-The-Industry-IS-In-Fact-Consolidating”

^^after this, guess what their competition is going to do? they will ACQUIRE “TAKE TWO”

if the company that already has “Bethesda”, “Activision-Blizzard”, and “Mojang” Acquires “Take Two”…….. IT… IS…. OVER!

LET ME SAY THIS AGAIN

If the company that has CALL OF DUTY, MINECRAFT, AND THE ELDER SCROLLS gets GRAND THEFT AUTO aswell …. IT… IS…. OVER!

…and Sony will have DESERVED exactly what they got for playing CHECKERS when the competition was playing CHESS

Jpcc86 said:

It doesnt seem that Sony has the money to acquire any big game-changer studios, not in the same way MS got Bethesda and Act/Blizz. And I dunno about this thing they do where they acquire a small studio and hope for a new franchise that could be a hit. Atm I think they should be worried about their short-term future because their lack of big name exclusive is an issue and what do they expect the PS6 to be? Tech isnt advancing fast enough to make it noticeably different from the PS5, what are they gon do next, a console with a gimmick?

They don’t need a "game-changer" Studio. Only a company in an extremely weak position ever needs a “game-changer” studio

Lack of big name exclusive

You think Playstation has a lack of Big name exclusives???????????

Sony has multiple 20 million plus exclusives. Maybe you’re talking about not on PC?

I doubt Nintendo is doing anything that threatens Sony’s “short term future” so what other company out here has a “big name exclusive” out right now that’s threatening Sony?

“Playstation” can be a “playstation”. it doesn’t need a gimmick…. all it needs to be is.. "Playstation"